Looking for a BASIC GPS Lake map for Lac Seul

• garyman

Hi, am heading back to Lac Seul this summer. Must not be too smart because the last time I was there I got lost on the water. Am looking for an easy-to-use handheld GPS (and map) that shows me basic lake information (where am I on the lake, etc). Thanks,

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Not sure where you live but the recent updateable version of Navionics-North edition has lac seul and many other bigger waters mapped in 10ft contours in Canada. And if you live in the North region its great for many of the lakes in the states! If nothing else, at least a simple gps that lays trails will get you back to camp!

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

navionics has the chip that will cover Lac Seul. not sure on a handheld gps though. where to you go out of on lac seul?

garyman

The east end of the lake at Lac Seul Outposts…. Thanks for your reply.

garyman

Thanks for your reply… I live in Wisconsin. 10′ contours should be fine for us. I just want to be able to see where the heck I am on that lake (it is a BIG lake). Every island and point looks the same.

Chad Thompson
    2 hours from Thunder Bay, Ontario

HI garyman –

You could also try Tara at Geoma. She takes care of all our mapping needs, including laminated, lake contour maps. Might be another option??? (807) 854-2335

Remember, surveyed lakes in Ontario were done in the late 60’s/70’s so contours maybe 20 or more feet and generally not very accurate. They are great for a general reference, but not so much for detailed underwater structure. Lac Seul may be different, so recommend you check with the local MNR fisheries biologist for that region.

Good luck!

Chad

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

no need to bring anything then. just walk to the end of the dock and fish. done.

great area. you can easily get lost. I take it you don’t bring your own boat.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Have a smart phone? Navionics has an app for less than $16 that covers North America and shows Lac Suel with contours at 10′, 20′, 40′, 60′, etc. So basically 20′ contours except it starts at 10.

garyman

Thanks for replying… A boat with a nice motor is part of the package plan.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Hi, am heading back to Lac Seul this summer. Must not be too smart because the last time I was there I got lost on the water. Am looking for an easy-to-use handheld GPS (and map) that shows me basic lake information (where am I on the lake, etc). Thanks,

An easy-to-use option would be the Lowrance Endura Safari. I think you can now download a map of Lac Seul for this GPS from Navionics. If not, you can purchase a Navionics Premium Canada Card which will serve you well for basic location/navigation and definitely keep you from getting lost. Have fun!

Crnhzkr

Garyman, when is your trip? I’m booked into LSL’s Sunlight Lake outpost camp the week of 8/3 – 8/10. Maybe we can compare notes. I posted a similar question in the Toys forum. I downloaded the Navionics app with Canada maps onto my Galaxy S3 smartphone and was hoping to verify that it will work in that area of LS. As I understand from the rep from Navionics, to work on a smartphone, the phone needs to be able to communicate with a cell tower. It’s not like a “real” GPS that talks directly to the satellites.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

Garyman, when is your trip? I’m booked into LSL’s Sunlight Lake outpost camp the week of 8/3 – 8/10. Maybe we can compare notes. I posted a similar question in the Toys forum. I downloaded the Navionics app with Canada maps onto my Galaxy S3 smartphone and was hoping to verify that it will work in that area of LS. As I understand from the rep from Navionics, to work on a smartphone, the phone needs to be able to communicate with a cell tower. It’s not like a “real” GPS that talks directly to the satellites.

Correct and that far north the cell towers might be a bit few and far between. I love my gps but am still of the old school. Compass and maps typically do not fail. Okay, don’t let them fly out of the boat

All technology will break at some point so a back up is needed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.