Eagle Lake, Ontario, Aug. 10-18th.

• HOOSIER
    West Salem, Wi.

Stayed at Andy Meyers Resort, North shore of eagle lake. Good accomodations, new 17 foot lunds, new 50 hp motors, for rent. Each morning the previous days fishing reports, from the 4-5 guides that service this resort, was posted in the lodge. Detailing locations, and setups used to catch that days fish. That week the best action for walleye was in Portage Bay, south end of the lake, 15 minute run from the resort. 20-30 foot of water, drifting with the wind, backtrolling, or anchored, all methods caught fish. Best setup for walleyes was 3/4 oz. slip sinker, barrel swivel, 4-6 foot leader, 4-5 in. live minnow, circle hook, and tail hook the minnow. Few short fish hit this setup, most fish were 17-18 in. fish, just under the slot, many 19-22 in. fish, in the slot, and a few over 23 in. fish, just over the slot. I had never tail hooked a bait fish before, one of the guides suggested tail hooking, and using larger baitfish for better action, and quality fish. A tail hooked fish is constantly trying to swim up from the weight. This method provided all the walleye action one could hope for. I am not sure how this setup will work in a river system, because of the current. I will however give it a try as conditions permit.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

I have been fortunate to have stayed at Andy Meyers Lodge twice. Excellent x 10! Great fishing, accommodations, food, staff & guides. Highly recommended to anyone considering where to go. Steve Herbeck turned me on to the tail-hooked minnow trick many years ago. He works very hard to ensure that you are happy with everything.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.