Canada

• Red Eye

Anyone have a link for what is allowed in canada currently? Eggs, fruit? Headed up lake trout fishing in a couple weeks.

cheers

nothing that had wings,no eggs,no bait dead or alive, fruit is ok

B-man

You can bring eggs/chicken if they are pre-cooked.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Having crossed MANY times by vehicle.. I can tell you… the border agents appreciate when you don’t bring everything with you when crossing. We figured out, its much appreciated when you tell them you are buying your food and beverages in Canada… one came right out and said it ! (we used to bring our own stuff in and pay duty… it’s not much more to just buy it there.. now smokes are another story) doah

bigstorm
    Southern WI

We also decided a few years ago to just some of our supplies after we cross into Canada rather than deal with any extra time at the border crossing. We get our eggs, potatoes, onions and the beer/liquor above the limit you are allowed to take across without having to declare it

We already stop at the bait shop and beer store, might as well hit the local grocery store too

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

nothing that had wings,no eggs,no bait dead or alive, fruit is ok

I have scoured the Canada regs. book and even sent an email to the ministry of natural resources. Unless I am missing it, I don’t see anything that prohibits bringing nightcrawlers in the 2023 book. Leeches and minnows are a definite no but cannot find anything about crawlers. I guess, where did you see and or read that all bait is not legal for crossing?

cheers

In general groceries are now cheaper in Fort Frances than International Falls considering the money exchange. Yes there are exceptions but many things are cheaper

Justin Donson

There are some weird regs on the way back too. Like I know we had to pull over a couple years ago as we tried to bring a lemon back into the US that we didn’t use. We bought it in the US but that doesn’t matter.

Now we just give leftover food like that to the lodge owner if they want it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

After going twice a year to Canada for the last 5-6 years we have also learned its best to Bring as little food as possible with. Things that can be hard to find or rather expensive in Canada are the only things we tend to bring now. We usually stop at a grocery store someplace after we cross the border for things like Eggs, Milk, Bread, Potatoes, ect. I agree that some of the border agents look at you a little different if they think you are bringing everything with for the whole stay and are not going to spend any money other than Gas in their country. We were traveling with another group a few years ago. When asked what we were bringing in with us, we told them only the bare basics and planned to shop locally once were got across the border. A few minutes and we were on our way. The group traveling with us and behinds us told them they had lots of food and listed it all off to them. They ended up having to stop and go inside and had their whole truck and boat searched. A Hr. + later and they were back on their way. Rather or not it had anything to do with all the food they said they have with, who knows. Like others have said with the exchange rate some of the food items are not much more there than here.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.