Canada

• Umy
    South Metro

Just got back from the North arm of Rainy Lake. Fishing was spectacular. Yes, I know the limit, these are from others in my party )
    THis was the smallest Northern, other fish pics are on someone else’s phone. Windy as heck, 3 foot rollers on Thursday. Left Eagan Monday morning at 3:30 AM and got to Intl Falls at just before 8am. 7.5 hour wait. Sister texted and told me to come to Baudette to cross. A 60 mile drive and another 50 minutes later and my truck and boat searched I was was on my way back to Fort Frances. Still saved 5 hours I bet. Talked to a kid at the gas station on the way home and he said the Intl Falls crossing was backed up all the way to Rainier – 2.63 miles according to Google.
    Not sure if anyone waited in that line and can say the 7.5 hours was accurate but wow.
    Anyhow got my COVID test at the airport on Friday, did the spit test, got the results Saturday, filled out my arrive Canada app and everything went smoothly. Border guards were great, Canadian business owners were wonderful – great trip. Crossing back to Minnesota was easy peasey.
    Going back soon. The Humminbird shot is similar to one I missed. You could see the bigger fish on either end of the bait balls. Fish were biting like crazy. all sizes. Did not take long to catch your limit of one but caught tons and released.

Attachments:
    1. canada-august-2021-5.jpg

2. canada-august-2021-6.png

3. canada-august-2021-3.jpg

4. canada-august-2021-4.png

5. canada-August-2021-1.jpg

6. canada-august-2021-2.jpg

Umy
    South Metro

Yeah, pretty cool, they were everywhere. Kinda fun to see the bigger fish on the end of them ( shots I didn’t get!? ( ) but fun to see and understand how it works

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Great report! Where did you stay on the North Arm?

Umy
    South Metro

My sister has a place just North of Rebecca Island. About 14 miles up the lake from 5 mile dock by Fort Frances.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

That’s awesome! I’ve spent many, many days around Rebecca, Cheery, Hostess, etc. all the way up to Devil’s Cascade. It’s probably my favorite body of water to fish.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Can’t say how great it is to read an actual fishing report from the North end again! Pumped to see you did so well waytogo

Looks like we’ll be making our return in the middle of September and shooting for a two week trip. Maybe run into you at your sisters, I’m sure we’ll pop in.

Umy
    South Metro

Yep. brother in law gets his second shot this Friday which gives him 14 days of Quarantine here then “eligible’ to travel the weekend of September 4th. That weekend or one of the next two for us.
    W ecaught fish from 18-28 feet of water on the standard 3/8′ jig heads with minnow. White with red eye, Chartreuse, Black and green w red eye and 1/2 blue half white were the tricks. Straight up jigging was ridiculously productive. About evenly split between over /under slot. Northerns were aggressive – some big ones 30″+ numerous.
    There is a split island that is killer on the North side. Fun when you are 10′ from the rock wall face and its 26 feet deep. THat was the nerve wracking part in 3′ waves. Glad I brought rain gear – dad always said when I was growing up and duck hunting – “you can always take it off but you can’t put it on if you didn’t bring it”

LabDaddy1

Awesome. Thanks for the report waytogo

Umy
    South Metro

Can’t say how great it is to read an actual fishing report from the North end again! Pumped to see you did so well waytogo

Looks like we’ll be making our return in the middle of September and shooting for a two week trip. Maybe run into you at your sisters, I’m sure we’ll pop in.

If I get up there before you i’ll post an update on conditions and baits/lures for what it’s worth. Split island might be called Fish Island…?!

Umy
    South Metro

PATK :
    I have September 22-28 reserved on my calendar. Probably be there the 23 and stay til the 27th ( that’s when my brother in law can get off work)

patk
    Nisswa, MN

PATK :
    I have September 22-28 reserved on my calendar. Probably be there the 23 and stay til the 27th ( that’s when my brother in law can get off work)

We should overlap by a couple days. Odds are we’re coming off the lake on the 25th.

Umy
    South Metro

Excellent – hopefully we can connect.
    I’ll keep in touch!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.