Can you ID the annual swarm?

• picklerick
    Central WI

20yrs in this house and these things swarm us for a couple weeks every year. I’m assuming it’s some type of lake fly. Slightly smaller than a wild rice grain with two antennae like fine hairs. They’re very delicate and stick to the shade and downwind side of EVERYTHING. It’s not uncommon for a few dozen to follow us in the car. They’ll swarm the porch light after dark like a frickin’ tornado.

Attachments:
    1. 20230626_183400-scaled.jpg

2. 20230626_183422-scaled.jpg

tswoboda

Looks like a species of caddisfly ??

picklerick
    Central WI

I can’t rule out aliens. Why wouldn’t they be tiny? I’m thinking caddisfly until I see some probing going on.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I can’t rule out aliens. Why wouldn’t they be tiny? I’m thinking caddisfly until I see some probing going on.

That’s what the Google lense shows.

picklerick
    Central WI

Well, now that the caddisflies are gone, look who moved in to take their place.

Can’t wait for all that honey. jester yay doah

Attachments:
    1. paper-wasps.png

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Nut a full can of raid wasp killer at night won’t take care of.

Or put a jar of mayo out .. devil hah that’ll do them in!! whistling rotflol

picklerick
    Central WI

Everyone knows if you put a jar of mayo out the bacon fairy puts a BLT under your pillow at night. If you put that other stuff out Jeff Foxworthy writes another “you might be a redneck” joke. toast

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Everyone knows if you put a jar of mayo out the bacon fairy puts a BLT under your pillow at night. If you put that other stuff out Jeff Foxworthy writes another “you might be a redneck” joke. toast

rotflol rotflol rotflol

picklerick
    Central WI

I don’t think my wooden house will appreciate that. To be honest, they don’t seem to bother us but I’ll get it before they come out on Sat to quote a new sliding glass door about 12′ from it. I’d say this one’s about the size of a softball. My next door neighbor has one about the size of a volleyball hanging from a branch about 25′ over the middle of her yard. There was one up at our camper two years ago that big and it was only 20′ from the deck and 20′ off the ground. Nobody got stung.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.