Can you feel that?

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

My goal is to build any system to 15 hz and lower. Very hard to do with a shared room that is all open to the upstairs and has an open stairway into to the basement. This would take multiple refrigerator size subwoofers to accomplish. But those don’t normally pass the WAF and I found out just one of those subs don’t pass for my neighborhood. Can’t even play it below 35 Hz without the cops knocking at my door. The solution is a BOSS. (Baffle Open Subwoofer System) Because of the open baffle, the sound waves cancel each other out at the floor and they are not heard. This is similar to butt kickers but more of a natural feel and cost way less. I can feel 5Hz and 15Hz up is intense. The best part is I can see my bedroom door from the couch, kiss my wife good night, watch her beer shake in the cup holder as I go to bed, and can easily fall asleep. It makes very little sound. I have less bass noise coming from the room now with an added 9 subwoofers than I did before. This makes movies so much fun. I really wanted to share because there are options out there that can blend into the room that many may not know of. This has totally changed my home movie experience.

Tennis balls: $8
    12” Subwoofer: $30 each
    Carpet: $15
    Wood: $100
    + miscellaneous

More information on the BOSS can be found on the AVS forum. https://www.avsforum.com/

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20240316_034357830.MP_-scaled.jpg

2. 3.5in-to-couch-scaled.jpg

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

More pic

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20240316_223021566-scaled.jpg

2. PXL_20240316_223006667.MP_-scaled.jpg

3. Bottom-BOSS-scaled.jpg

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

First clip I demo was Jurassic Park and the beer in my cup made the exact same ripples as it did in the movie…Well after I turned it down. It was more intense at first. peace

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

When did you get a shepherd is the better question

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Ok you’ve got me. This is all way over my head but what do the tennis balls help with?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

When did you get a shepherd is the better question

We have had her for 4 years now. She was around when you helped me pour my steps.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Ok you’ve got me. This is all way over my head but what do the tennis balls help with?

You cut the tennis balls in half and used them for the feet. They allow the platform to move up and down with the speakers and decouple the couch from the house. This prevents the house from vibrating as much. Some use innertube from fat tire bike so they are floating on air for more vibration. I don’t think I could handle more shaking. I had to cut it off at 45 Hz because the beer in my stomach would start agitating at 80 Hz. Started feeling seasick.

These $30 speakers only need 80 watts each in an open baffle. People have powered them off their rear/spare channel of their AVR or a small class D $80 amp. Yes, for $110 you could also have your chair shaking.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The BOSS takes care of 15 hz to 45 hz blending into the sub that covers 35 hz to 85 hz. The noise coming from my room is a lot less since my subs are no longer playing to 18 hz and as loud to produce the vibrations. My family and neighbors are happy because they no longer hear as much bass. I am happy because I have more bass feel.

CaptainMusky

I just have to ask WHY? LOL Guess I am just too damn old and never liked anything that loud.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I just have to ask WHY? LOL Guess I am just too damn old and never liked anything that loud.

I like to feel the movie. But I don’t always want to play it that loud to feel it. This allows me to play at low levels and still get all the feeling. These subwoofers are used as cheap motors to produce vibrations. It becomes very realistic and pulls you into the move. Like in the Jurassic Park scene, you are feeling each T-rex step.

CaptainMusky

Interesting. So its the vibration vs the sound. That makes sense.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I like to feel the movie. But I don’t always want to play it that loud to feel it. This allows me to play at low levels and still get all the feeling. These subwoofers are used as cheap motors to produce vibrations. It becomes very realistic and pulls you into the move. Like in the Jurassic Park scene, you are feeling each T-rex step.
    [/quote]

I want to feel some double kick drum. Some, I won’t see you tonight part 2 by avenged sevenfold.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Wow, clicking on that AVSForum link brought be back a few years. I used to visit that site almost daily.

Very cool setup you have there.

deertracker

The only question I have is, why doesn’t the dog’s chair get a speaker? grin
    DT

Jimmy Jones

when he’s deaf it’ll help him pass time.

Riverrat

I’ve seen the panel speaker videos on youtube, can you use a resonator to get the low frequency without the extra sound?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I’ve seen the panel speaker videos on youtube, can you use a resonator to get the low frequency without the extra sound?

Resonators produce noise. A pipe organ is a good example of a resonator. Each pipe is at a different length that produces a different frequency. Another example of a resonator is the port of a subwoofer enclosure. Just like the pipe organ, the port is tuned to a frequency to add in the amount of noise the speaker produces. Making that speaker sound louder.

Riverrat

Sorry never mind I think they are called “Exciters”? They vibrate the panel to create a soundwave. The panels only get down to about 100hz, but I thought maybe the exciter can create the feel. As I write this I’m literally googling how to build an exciter chair, and it kinda looks like a bust because of the distorted sound waves created by the vibrating chair.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Has your wife started watching the Howard Stern movie frequently? whistling

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Has your wife started watching the Howard Stern movie frequently?

I have not seen that movie. She said we should watch it soon.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Looks like I need to find this movie. Multiple people have asked if I have watched it yet. I must be missing something.

Umy
    South Metro

I responded in another post but picked up my rod from Tiny Rod Works this week.
    AWESOME job!
    Invited me in to check this system out – WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE this!!Totally cool and undersold by him – way better than he makes it sound!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.