Can I use a Norsk 15ah battery charger on a Amped 32ah NMC Battery?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I have an Amped 32ah 14.8 NMC battery for a Livescope shuttle and I left the charger for it at my seasonal cabin up north I won’t be back at until Springtime. What are my options for charging it over the winter? I have the 15ah Norsk battery and charger I use for my flasher, could I use that charger or bite the bullet and just go buy another Amped NMC charger?

Karry Kyllo

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use it. NMC batteries are lithium ion batteries also.

CaptainMusky

As long as its compatible with charging a lithium battery shouldnt be an issue.

JoeMX1825
    MN

interesting, I wonder why they sell 2 different chemistry chargers then unless a LifePO4 charger can’t fully top off a NMC battery?

vinella

At least on the Amped website, they are very clear that should not use the LiFePO4 chargers on the NMC batteries and vice versa.

Charging: All Amped Outdoors NMC batteries must be charged with supplied 16.8V Charger. Using any other charger could cause damage to the battery. Do not use ANY Amped Outdoors charger on a battery without a BMS such as SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries

For Amped Outdoors 14.8V Batteries Only! Do not use with 12.8V LiFePO4 batteries or 11.1v NMC batteries.

JoeMX1825
    MN

At least on the Amped website, they are very clear that should not use the LiFePO4 chargers on the NMC batteries and vice versa.

Charging: All Amped Outdoors NMC batteries must be charged with supplied 16.8V Charger. Using any other charger could cause damage to the battery. Do not use ANY Amped Outdoors charger on a battery without a BMS such as SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries

For Amped Outdoors 14.8V Batteries Only! Do not use with 12.8V LiFePO4 batteries or 11.1v NMC batteries.

thanks, I remember reading something about it…

Icefisherguy

I went through this a few months ago when I left the charger at the cabin. I think it depends which Norsk battery you have…
    The orange-colored Norsk batteries are 14.8v and have similar chemistry to the Amped NMC batteries. I had no issue using the Norsk charger from an orange battery on my Amped 32AH NMC(although only used it one time). On the other hand, the green Norsk batteries are 12.6v and similar chemistry to Amped LifePo4 and I wouldn’t recommend using the charger based on the guidance above.

JoeMX1825
    MN

yep, i have the green Norsk…I went to Thorn Bros and they don’t even sell the NMC Chargers separately…oh well, looks like i’m swapping my Norsk battery around all winter…

Cam White

Order another charger direct from amped.

vinella

Or Norsk. All orders thru them ship free

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.