Campfire Cooking Rigs

• jwellsy

I’m looking for a great campfire cooking rig. I won’t be hauling it around on backpacking trips, just backyard and cabin campfires.

I know Lodge (the cast iron folks) have a tripod outfit with one or two piece legs and a single chain to hang a dutch oven or coffee pot on, no grill/grate.

Found a cool looking rig with a height adjustable grate, manual spit and two swing arms called a
    ‘Texsport Heavy Duty Adjustable Outdoor Camping Rotisserie Grill and Spit’.

I’m thinking one of those Texsport units along with a unit to hold stuff like a
    ‘Bruntmor Grill Swing Campfire Cooking Stand’.

Another interesting option I found is a compact combination firepit and hanger system called
    ‘Guide Gear® Campfire Cooking Station’.
    This might be the way to go. This would make it easier to make sure you’re cooking over a clean fire with perhaps smoke chips or pellets mixed in.

I do have an old patio roll around firepit and a wire welder, so could make my own if I can’t find the right layout in stock somewhere.

My gas grill is in the best permanent location and don’t want to build a full blown outdoor kitchen block unit.

Anyhoo, have you found the perfect campfire cooking rig? There’s got to be some great forged options out there, finding them is the hard part.

Jason

This is my custom s/st setup. It has been in place for 4 years and still looks like new today. It’s adjustable in height, swings in and out, it also lifts out when not needed.
    The wife is happy since it’s easy to clean and the grate lifts out so she can bring it inside.
    Wish I had more time to use it…

Attachments:
    1. 20150804_204207.jpg

2. 20150804_204108.jpg

B-man

I bought a really nice one for my Dad from a guy at a sports show in Duluth 5-6 years ago.

It was made in Minnesota, but I have no idea what his company name is any more??

Maybe someone here does though.

You could set the post in concrete or bolt it to the fire ring.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

This was one of my goals to build this year. I have been playing with some different designs but have not came up with the right one yet. I want to be able to convert / attach / place something onto it for a pizza oven.

jwellsy

Funny how things work out sometimes.

I went to pull the trigger on that Guide Gear Cooking Station I posted earlier and they are now out of stock.

After cussing myself for sharing too much info and being too slow to make up my mind, I switched gears and ordered a cheap outdoor wood stove.

I won’t get the char I was looking for, but it’s probably the best option for what I really wanted it for as a plan B for long term power outages. Plus, it has versatility as a heater.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.