Camp ripley ?

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Any one get in on that archery hunt ? 10/27 to 10/29 this is the first year I applied with 4 other guys in a group. 2 of these guys have shot monsters off this property. It’s something new for me and I know it’s 2500 guys but I figured why not join the circus.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Never done it. Easiest way would be to figure out where guys are overlooking and hunt/scout that. Way too short of a time period to scout effectively. Maybe see if anyone that works there would give you some tips?

Dave maze
    Isanti

I went there twice probably ten years ago. It’s an absolute poop show! It’s like combat bow hunting. Practice shooting moving targets! The deer are literally running non stop because of all the people in the woods.

Ripjiggen

So like the video game Buck Hunter? That’s sounds awesome.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I went there twice probably ten years ago. It’s an absolute poop show! It’s like combat bow hunting. Practice shooting moving targets! The deer are literally running non stop because of all the people in the woods.

I know it’ll be a wild fire out there but there has to be a few solid set up areas. I’m going to start reading maps and what not. It’ll be a experience either positive or negative. If we get drawn of course

Dave maze
    Isanti

Give me a call if you get drawn. I’ll give you a few tips.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Give me a call if you get drawn. I’ll give you a few tips.

I will be doing that. Thanks Dave.

Coletrain27

Been there twice. Complete $hit show and couldn’t pay me to go back

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I know several guys that have gone. Most say it used to be better. Several got very nice bucks. One got a giant just 2 years ago. No matter where you setup, sounds like you need to expect multiple hunters or trucks to come by. But they do keep the deer moving most all day.
    I’ve never gone. Thought about it several times but just ain’t pulled the trigger.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Been there twice. Complete $hit show and couldn’t pay me to go back

With the bucks these guys shoot they say it’s well worth it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This season could look a little different there with the permitted general use of crossbows during archery season. Might add more applicants too.

CaptainMusky

Ive had a few buddies go, but nothing real recently. As others have said its going to be busy. The line just to get in the morning is hundreds of vehicles long. Some of them had it somewhat figured out though and I think went in a different way or something, but I am sure others have that figured out by now. None of them shot any big bucks and based on what I have read recently the size and numbers are way down which is likely due to the timberwolves in the area plus people pretty much shoot anything now which in the past it was just going after a trophy.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have a few buddies that go every year, there’s still some monsters in there just fewer and further between now due to wolves and relaxed tag #’s. Also, I believe the last couple years they didn’t get enough apps to sell out.

My Grandpa shot his last deer in there on a special Veterans gun hunt in the late 90’s, a massive 12 pointer with a 20 gauge, I need to find those pics again. It was a 200+ lbs tank, and he brought it home in the trunk of his sedan and I believe the police pulled him over twice due to the blood on the trunk. rotflol jester

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I did it last year and it was an experience. I went solo. Was able to get away from people for the most part. Planning on doing it again this year.

Saw a hand full of deer and a bear. Wasn’t able to hit it real hard, but this year I’m going to hunt it harder!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I did it last year and it was an experience. I went solo. Was able to get away from people for the most part. Planning on doing it again this year.

Saw a hand full of deer and a bear. Wasn’t able to hit it real hard, but this year I’m going to hunt it harder!

We will most likely be sleeping in the truck or next to it in the Otter if we get drawn. Brother in law who shot a beautiful buck there last year said he just winged it and saw 8 shooter bucks just past 55 to 70 yards and then the one he shot came in at 10 yards. He shot it and it collapsed under a tree 80 yards away and another guy helped him drag it out so the other guy could keep hunting.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I did it several time way back when I was in high school ( That’s a long time ago ) From what I hear from a few people who still do it, its nothing like it was back then. Way more people. Way less quality bucks. If you are not a people person, or not like hunting closely around lots of other hunters, Then this is not for you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I did it several time way back when I was in high school ( That’s a long time ago ) From what I hear from a few people who still do it, its nothing like it was back then. Way more people. Way less quality bucks. If you are not a people person, or not like hunting closely around lots of other hunters, Then this is not for you.

I don’t really mingle with groups. But I imagine if the 4 of us all set up within a couple hundred yard perimeter then we will have fun. For not having many bucks the guys must be as lucky as ever to shoot them. But they are patient waiters. Sit in the tree the entire day with out coming down. Wich helps when most get impatient and move mid day which bumps the deer. I’m gonna go in with low hopes and just bang it out for 3 days. He’ll I fish the rainy at peak times. I can mingle with hunters I’d hope

Walleye Hungry

Did it last year and saw more bears/wolves than deer…and of course the gong show of people yelling your in their spot. With that being said, the property is super diverse. Low lands, huge elevations, prairies, etc. Being it was my first year im guessing i had the wrong approach. Everything that looked “good” on the map had tons of cars on it. Might look for what area is the worst looking and maybe that will be best?

Might go this year as well just because it forces me to hunt hard for 3 days. Downside for me is its the best weekend of hunting in my opinion and spending it with 2500 people is hard to swallow.

I am willing to accept any tips from people who no longer go hahaha

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rjthehunter wrote:</div>

We will most likely be sleeping in the truck or next to it in the Otter if we get drawn. Brother in law who shot a beautiful buck there last year said he just winged it and saw 8 shooter bucks just past 55 to 70 yards and then the one he shot came in at 10 yards. He shot it and it collapsed under a tree 80 yards away and another guy helped him drag it out so the other guy could keep hunting.

I contemplated tenting last year. I might do it this year just so I don’t have to wait in that crazy line from the entrance. I live only 30 mins away, but by the time I get up, and leave, then go wait in line for awhile, I might as well just pitch a tent and enjoy the opportunity to camp.

CaptainMusky

I have to wonder when this event goes on how good the hunting outside of Ripley would be? There is some public land around there where you could just setup shop and not deal with all the people I have to believe that the deer get pushed out.

Stanley

I have hunted it in the past and have a buddy that still hunts it. Has definitely gone down hill over the years as far as number of deer and quality of bucks. I was just talking to a guy that works at ripley and asked about the wolves and decline of deer. He said they don’t have as many wolves as people think (thinks they migrated out) and with their thermal imaging watch herds of deer go into the no hunting zones right before the hunts start. He did say that the north end of camp is best though.

big_g
    Isle, MN

As far as “the line” it is trucks lined up, first come first served. You “camp” off to the side of the “line” drive in, unhook your camper at the area of the line your by and then put the truck in line. Tenting won’t do anything different. I have been going for over 20 years, it used to be the best chance at a big buck in the state, with 2500 hunters pushing them around. I have harvested many deer there, with one 10 point that scored over 125″ In the last 10 years or so, it has declined BIG TIME. Less deer overall. I used to see about 30-40 deer per day, with opportunity to harvest about 10 of them in bow range. Last time I went was 2017 and I seen 2 deer, neither in range. We talked with the camp plumber, who was hunting near us and he said there was 2 wolf packs in there… one with about 43 wolves and a smaller one around 20. Like said, if you can eat your sammich in the tree… when others get down they will push the deer that are there.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

As far as “the line” it is trucks lined up, first come first served. You “camp” off to the side of the “line” drive in, unhook your camper at the area of the line your by and then put the truck in line. Tenting won’t do anything different. I have been going for over 20 years, it used to be the best chance at a big buck in the state, with 2500 hunters pushing them around. I have harvested many deer there, with one 10 point that scored over 125″ In the last 10 years or so, it has declined BIG TIME. Less deer overall. I used to see about 30-40 deer per day, with opportunity to harvest about 10 of them in bow range. Last time I went was 2017 and I seen 2 deer, neither in range. We talked with the camp plumber, who was hunting near us and he said there was 2 wolf packs in there… one with about 43 wolves and a smaller one around 20. Like said, if you can eat your sammich in the tree… when others get down they will push the deer that are there.

Did you apply this year ?

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

My buddy sent me a video of a camper fire last night, hope everyone made it out alright. I’m assuming everyone did as I’m sure would have heard otherwise.

Charles

Always wanted to try it, but where in the heck do you start for scouting?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I skipped this hunt because my buck tag is filled. But all my buddies are there. Haven’t seen any pictures yet

Nodakk

When I drove past Wednesday late morning, there was a lineup of 30-40 campers and fish houses

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My buddy sent me a video of a camper fire last night, hope everyone made it out alright. I’m assuming everyone did as I’m sure would have heard otherwise.

I heard about this too. Ice shack/camper and truck are torched. No injuries to speak of.

Attachments:
    1. burnt.jpg

Coletrain27

My brothers wife is up there for training right now. She sent me a pic of all the campers. Looks like a small city there

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.