Calhoun/Harriet

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Anyone been out? I have a couple hours Saturday and thinking about trying to hit the evening bite.

No spots…..just a thumbs up or down if anyone has had any luck.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I haven’t, but please report if you do make it out. Tomorrow will be my first time ever out ice fishing a metro lake. Let the search for metro walleyes begin!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

They are there…bite windows are short though. Good luck.

Jeff Fitzpatrick

Ice on Isles has been pretty good. Bass and panfish are biting, no walleye encounters tho! Interested to see how the ice on Caloun/Harriet is doing.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Is Harriet 100% froze over?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Harriet was froze last weeekend when I drove by. Calhoun has some pretty gray ice in the middle….it might be open still.

TipUpFishOn

Haven’t been out yet but hoping to hit Harriet within the next couple weekends. Let us know how you do Matt!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Calhoun was kind of a bust. Fished from 2 til 6 and caught one decent pike on a tip up and missed something else. Tons of baby perch jigging but nothing over 8”.

Only 4 to 6” of ice on the west side of the lake.

Plus, I dropped my auger down the hole so that was an awesome move. First time using the drill….glad I bought a cheap Mora auger to give it a try.

Attachments:
    1. F0CF8CBC-1683-4C84-A14B-AFC0EE7F76D2.jpeg

tim hurley

Both lakes have big fish just not many of them.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Fished calhoun for a few hours Christmas night. Was on east side, 18’ of water outside of the weeds. Had 7 inches of solid ice 40 yards out from shore. Didn’t go much further than that(ice got thinner the farther out you went). Fishing was VERY slow. Few marks, couple missed bites (one on shiner under bobber, other on jigging spoon with head of a fathead). I’m really curious how this rain and warm weather is going to affect the ice. I’d like to get out tomorrow morning for a bit before the wind and cold get too nasty, but I don’t know if it’s worth the risk. Any opinions? I’m comfortable walking on 4-5 inches minimum.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Not even gonna happen. What was I thinking? There’s going to be so much standing water out there from the rain and melt. I’ll pass. After the freeze I’ll get back out there and search for another skunk.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I’m sure stuff will be pretty firmed up by morning.

hossfisher

Was out on Tonka last night and had 4-5″ of standing water on the ice. Could have probably kayaked across whole lake. It’s gonna be messy out there until this deep freeze moves in later today.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Saw three or four portables out on Calhoun last night.

Ben K.

Fished Calhoun yesterday and was happy to find ~10 inches of ice. Caught 1 eye and 2 pike in 20 fow. Had several marks follow up my jig that I couldn’t get to bite.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I haven’t even been to Minnesota this season yet. I’ve been fishing ND way too much, I live in Fargo. Please tell us how it goes!

TipUpFishOn

Was out on the south side of Harriet tonight. Found 11 inches of ice in 15-20 fow. Fishing was slower, caught a couple of eyes with 14 in. the biggest and a few good sized perch.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Typically a pretty good jig bite out on Calhoun/harriet or better off setting a few tip ups w/ shiners? Might try to sneak out there for an evening bite one of these days.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I have best luck on tipups or deadsticks. Shiners or small suckers both seem to work.

matthew mensen

Any suggestions on which side of the lake to fish. I will be bring some younger fisherman and a rookie. Would like to be able to set up with some tip ups and then do some bobber fishing for what ever. If anyone has had a little luck during the daytime 9am-1pm or have suggestions let me know.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I fish both sides of both lakes and success is about the same. Look for a piece of structure and the backside of weeds and then it’s a waiting game.

I’ve caught pike and pannies during the day but never walleyes. Bobber and tipups will be your best bet. I like to work the tipups from deep to shallow and cover different depth ranges.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Hitting Calhoun tomorrow for my first time on the ice this year. Will anyone else be out???

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Dave, I might be. Good luck either way. If targeting walleyes, you may want to try a different lake. I’ve been to Calhoun six or seven times this winter with not one walleye to show for my efforts.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

My buddy picked Calhoun and has the auger, portable and hopefully a hot spot!

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I’m going out on a limb and guessing he has a red eskimo hub… whistling

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

No clue, my first time on the ice with him. We usually are in my boat somewhere!

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Well I might see you out there. They can’t have lockjaw forever… or can they?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

No, unless you caught them all!

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I’m not going to make it out, but good luck out there!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I guess some of us just know how to catch them! toast

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.