Cabin Broken Into, All Tackle and Rain Gear Stolen, Help Please

• elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I received a call today from a friend who mows our yard. Someone kicked the door in earlier this week and stolen all my lifetime collection of tackle and all my rain gear. They took the TV but could care less about that.

Our cabin is in the Lincoln Lakes area, just south of Crookneck Lake. My tackle box is a Cabelas Green Cloth bag, really faded, with outside pockets crammed with plastics. I believe it holds 8 or 9 3700 series plano boxes. Full of decades of buying shad raps, thundersticks, bass crank baits, rattle baits, lindy rigs, top waters, the list goes on and on.

I had a big red Cabelas guide series bag with dark green Guide Series rain gear with black knee pads. I also had a gortex series teal colored cabelas rain gear and a cheaper cabelas, dark green rain suit.

If you are in the area this weekend and at rummage sales, please look. If you happen to be on Craigslist or Ebay and see some of this please let me know.

I am so frikn mad I can hardly type this. Worthless, unemployed, drug addicts!!!

Lincoln lakes is just off HWY 10 south of Motley.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

So sorry man! F*ck those guys! There are only a few things that would bother me more than losing my tackle. I will keep a look out

elk_addict

Thank you! I would appreciate all the help I can get. I want to find them!!!!!!!!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Keep the faith. They caught the scumbags that hit Mille Lacs a couple of months ago so it is possible.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Had it happen to me twice. Once at the cabin and once in my garage. It totally sucks. I’m sorry it happened to you. Even good insurance and time won’t totally make the anger go away (though time and $ both help).

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

Sorry to hear. That is rotten.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Wow that just sucks, I am sorry to hear that. I hope you get your stuff back. At least it doesn’t sound like they took your rods.

elk_addict

I had rods in the cabin, but they did not find them. The majority were in my boat in the storage.

I spent last night trying to run through how many of what I had in the tackle box, at least $3000 to replace, maybe more. Needless to say I did not sleep well.

Hey DeerTracker, how do you think they well get rid of all this, sell cheap to someone for quick cash and drug money? What does your gut say with all your experience. I was thinking of checking every flea market, garage sale, and rummage sale tomorrow morning. Do you think that is worth a shot or a waste of time?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Unless you can find the bags it’s just tackle. Pretty hard to prove a certain gouge or scratch was only made by you fishing. A jointed rap is a jointed rap. It’s worth taking a few minutes hoping to get lucky but realistically it’s gone and the quicker you can move on the better. How large a area are you willing to cover? I know way back in the 60’s & 70’s people were stealing 8 track players from cars. Most of those were taken by people from across town or neighboring towns. I wouldn’t rule out local kids either.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s a huge bummer. Sorry.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Sorry to hear about this. I’m no expert and can’t offer up more than anyone else has, just trying to throw things out there that may help. I didn’t see a mention of a police report. If not done already I’d get them involved. I’ve had things stolen from a vehicle before and the cops will likely tell you that they can’t help much and the items likely won’t be recovered, but I think getting them involved might be good and the insurance companies might also want it.

Like others and yourself said, I’d check craigslist periodically to see if anyone is listing your items.

Again, sorry to hear this, that really sucks.

elk_addict

The deputy is involved and is 90% sure of who the individual is, just need evidence to get him. The cabin was broken into twice in the winter of 2008, nothing to take but $1500 for door and frame replacement each time.
    The individual went to prison for meth and no further problem, he is out of prison and back, with his unemployed drug addict son. Coincidence, maybe.
    I know I need to just move on, but we have vacation up there this week, leaving after work today. With no tackle, Saturday will be spent buying things to just get me by, instead of hitting the water first thing. Sales will definitely spike at Fleet Farm.
    Thanks for your show of support, just a damn hard pill to swallow.

elk_addict

One bright shining star in this whole thing, just spoke with the insurance guy, full replacement cost on all. Make a list value off Cabelas or other websites and turn in.

I can at least start buying tackle this weekend, keep receipts and be covered. Making the list is going to take a long time.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

My grandparents have a cabin in that area and also were broken into the winter of 2008 by a meth head. I know it doesn’t help you now but for other people take some pictures of your tackle and stuff. It will help if something like this ever happens to you. Glad to hear about the insurance taking care of things.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

if it hasn’t already been mentioned, I think some security around your place is in order. if not some sort of alarm system then I would at least put up some trail cams around so you can get footage of the person who keeps doing this. The other thought would be to stop leaving things of value at the cabin. Huge pain I know and not ideal but it could prevent something like this happening in the future. Good luck and glad to hear the insurance is going to help you get some new gear. Enjoy the cabin this week! Cabins are the best!

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Sorry to hear about your situation. The world would be a much better place without thieves!

If you had anything with serial numbers try to find those numbers and give them to the Sheriff’s Office. Anything that goes through a pawn shop or similar store front must have the serial numbers logged with the local authorities and there is a hold period before said shops can resell purchased items. This hold period allows the authorities to check the serial numbers against recent thefts to see if they were obtained illegally.

I have a document at home with serial numbers off all my items including electronics, lawn mower, snowblower, rods, ect… It was a daunting task but when completed it made me rest better knowing if anything goes missing I can assure that they will most likely be caught if they try to dump these items at a pawn shop for quick cash.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sorry to hear about your situation. The world would be a much better place without thieves!

If you had anything with serial numbers try to find those numbers and give them to the Sheriff’s Office. Anything that goes through a pawn shop or similar store front must have the serial numbers logged with the local authorities and there is a hold period before said shops can resell purchased items. This hold period allows the authorities to check the serial numbers against recent thefts to see if they were obtained illegally.

I have a document at home with serial numbers off all my items including electronics, lawn mower, snowblower, rods, ect… It was a daunting task but when completed it made me rest better knowing if anything goes missing I can assure that they will most likely be caught if they try to dump these items at a pawn shop for quick cash.

Just grab the cell phone and take a pic of those serial numbers. Have a file on your computer and also a thumb drive where you keep your important papers, safe or safe deposit box. Also shoot a pic of your plano boxes. Just open the lid and shoot. It will help your memory compile a inventory should you ever need one. These cell phone camera’s have a much better use then just selfie’s. grin

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I’m an insurance guy and the best advice I can give you is to look into an inventory app that allows you to use the barcode scanner on your phone and it automatically gets added. You can add rods and reels manually and anything else you want. Your homeowners deductible applies unless you schedule in fishing equipment with a lower deductible. I’ve had a couple tackle boxes run of, but since I have trays of tackle all over (boat, basement, camper, actual tackle bag)they didn’t put me out of business, but still sucks to load up with new tackle. Good luck and if were me, it hit up the rummage sales in your area.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hunting4Walleyes wrote:</div>

Just grab the cell phone and take a pic of those serial numbers. Have a file on your computer and also a thumb drive where you keep your important papers, safe or safe deposit box. Also shoot a pic of your plano boxes. Just open the lid and shoot. It will help your memory compile a inventory should you ever need one. These cell phone camera’s have a much better use then just selfie’s. grin

I did take pictures with my phone. Taking the photo made it easier as I could enlarge some of the smaller serial numbers when it came time to logging them into the document. I then complied a 2 page excel document from those photos. I figured it would be a lot easy for both me and the authorities to have a nice clean 2 page document rather than sifting through countless pictures. The excel document is on a thumb drive in my gun safe and I also have a copy in my safe deposit box at my bank. Good suggestions DB.

robby
    Quad Cities

I hope they get a hook in their eye. Or family jewels.

elk_addict

Thank you all for your suggestions, good ideas, and support. Trail camera is up as of last night, thanks to a very good friend. I am bringing up mine to put up for the short term.

I will be looking at trail cameras that send photos direct to your phone and may contact a security system company or two. Each of these solutions would work fine for the summer. When winter comes the heat is off, not sure how to overcome that, but will be checking into options. Anything of any value is taken home in the winter, but that did not stop them from breaking in twice during the winter of 2008, so I need to figure out some system for that period every year.

The Deputy suggested I check all the pawn shops, I have called all in a 50 mile radius, nothing at any of them. I am told that everything they buy is downloaded to Minneapolis with a photo ID, every night. But some may not follow all the rules.

I will be checking out area garage and rummage sales, plus flea markets, just in case I can get lucky. I plan to hit Fleet Farm tomorrow, buy what I need for the short term and just go fishing.

I need to make an itemized list for the sheriff and insurance, so that will bring me down as I work on that through the week, but life will go on. As Larry Smith always says, “What a Great Day to be alive”. Things could be much worse. Two hours and then on my way!!!!!!!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Look into “Ring”. It’s a camera that works with your phone. Friend of mine has it on the property in Arizona. When they are in Minnesota they get a prompt on the phone and they open the app and can see who is standing at the door, on the property ect. I think that would bring you peace of mind which is worth something.

elk_addict

Thanks Dutchboy I will definitely check into that.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nest Cams are cool… one at the house and one at the cabin. It alerts and I can pop in anytime !

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

is nest cam the type or name brand?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Damn, sorry to hear elk! Haven’t talked to you in quite a while, other than the theft I hope things are well!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Nest is the brand, they started with the thermostat that you could program with your phone.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Nest is nice, can share the login stuff with a few other people I believe to get more eyes on it. Be forewarned, it gets tough to keep up with all the alerts and emails that you get once turned on.

big_g
    Isle, MN

You can control different zones, with different alert sensitivity. Once you dial it in, it works amazingly well.

Attachments:
    1. snapshot.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.