Cabelas Black Friday sale (rant)

• Rick Janssen

I went on line today to purchase the Lowrance HDS-7 which was on sale TODAY only. It was advertised at $699 with an additional $100 of Cabelas Bucks to be used later in their Black Friday Flyer that came in the mail weeks ago. When I got on line the price said $799 or $899. I called customer service and the first person that tried to help me was very nice and was trying to find that item so I could purchase it. She finally said, NO, its out of stock. She suggested I talk to a higher up person in customer service which I did. She also tried to find my item, but basically said, ‘it is out of stock and we can’t sell it to you”. I asked for a rain check since it does not say on the Black Friday Sale flyer I was looking at that the prices were limited to available stock only. Basically the answer was NO – we can’t do that since it is out of stock. Isn’t this BAIT AND SWITCH at it’s finest. Just thought you should know in case you were waiting for the day that the item you wanted to buy goes on sale.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

sounds like a BPS move, did bass pro shops buy them yet?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

If you did not get online at 12:01 am this morning, it very likely was sold out, by the time you tried to order one. No different than buying at the store, those deals are sold out quickly. Cabelas can’t give a rain check because the model which was on sale is a non-current model and they can’t order more.

Rick Janssen

I think they should state in the flyer – prices for in stock items only – or something like that. I know when I shop at other types of stores, if the sale item is sold out – they give rain checks. If they can’t order that one anymore, then they should make me a comparable offer

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

IT, in all reality, is kind of how Black Friday type shopping goes. I wouldn’t be surprised by this no matter what the retailer. I understand your frustrations but I wouldn’t get too worked up over it.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If you are close enough to get to a store, I’d bet they have them in stock there. They count on you going for one item and leaving the store with 10.

-J.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

From years of working as prostaff in these sales events, I have seen how fluid the stock is. Door buster sales where 150 reels were on the shelf. Doors open at 8 and by 9….gone. I’ve talked with other staffers in other stores and they sold even more. Then by 10:30am, those that didn’t come early are passed and it’s the stores fault

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Welcome to the Black Friday non-sale sales. The whole thing is a friggin joke because in the vast majority of cases the stores have stock that is so limited that there won’t be 1 person in 100 that actually gets the real deal.

You have to be so careful to read the fine print that to me the whole thing is a charlie foxtrot and not worth the effort.

Wasn’t it just last year that a bunch of states busted stores for having no actual stock of things that were on sale when they opened? The stores defense was the stuff sold out the day before… What a crock.

Grouse

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Idea? Maybe work a couple extra hours and support the Ma & Pa aka little guy? Wait… They’ve all closed there doors!

Hail to the big box stores. NOT!

Unreal to learn how few small shops remain… All so we can save a penny to buy MORE stuff marketing has us believing we “need”. Marketing 101

Rant over

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Kurt,
    Just a thought….there is obviously a perception that there isn’t many little guys left. Google rapala dealers in wi or MN and see how many come up. Those are dealers that buy direct. Then account for the hundreds that buy through sports, robinson, Apple land, big rock, sports south…and so on.

There are so many that if I scheduled 7 visits a day, I could never revisit them within a year.

The bigger problem is the little guy carrying the risk to stock for a large scale sale.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I used to work retail…I don’t understand retailer nor consumer when it comes to the big advertised sale item. Its supposed to get you into the store, but you’re supposed to buy something better.

It’s either junk or limited (clearance). It’s tough. If consumers buys it all out, its sold out. When they don’t, gosh that big pile of a sale item just sits there taking up floor space.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

From years of working as prostaff in these sales events, I have seen how fluid the stock is. Door buster sales where 150 reels were on the shelf. Doors open at 8 and by 9….gone. I’ve talked with other staffers in other stores and they sold even more. Then by 10:30am, those that didn’t come early are passed and it’s the stores fault

Request. Alert you IDO brothers on the sales beforehand )

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

Request. Alert you IDO brothers on the sales beforehand )

All the door buster sale items are posted on line for your viewing pleasure. Phone number is also int e ad so that you can call and verify stock on hand

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I like to refer to black Friday as scam Friday!!!!!! and I wouldn’t go close to a store that day!!!! well unless its a liquor store!!! waytogo devil

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I like to refer to black Friday as scam Friday!!!!!! and I wouldn’t go close to a store that day!!!! well unless its a liquor store!!! waytogo devil

X2 waytogo

Rick Janssen

UPDATE UPDATE – looks like I might be getting the unit. I received an email saying they would honor the price listed in the flyer. Long story short, after two more customer service people, I got one that “thought” she could get it done. Not sure how they got more in stock when the other people told me there were not any, but hopefully it will work out. I have not received confirmation to the order yet, but I am closer.

I was glad they responded and IF they get this worked out it would be great. From someone like me that works in advertising, I always add a disclaimer if the sale item is subject to in stock only or limited time.

Rick Janssen

I went on line today to purchase the Lowrance HDS-7 which was on sale TODAY only. It was advertised at $699 with an additional $100 of Cabelas Bucks to be used later in their Black Friday Flyer that came in the mail weeks ago. When I got on line the price said $799 or $899. I called customer service and the first person that tried to help me was very nice and was trying to find that item so I could purchase it. She finally said, NO, its out of stock. She suggested I talk to a higher up person in customer service which I did. She also tried to find my item, but basically said, ‘it is out of stock and we can’t sell it to you”. I asked for a rain check since it does not say on the Black Friday Sale flyer I was looking at that the prices were limited to available stock only. Basically the answer was NO – we can’t do that since it is out of stock. Isn’t this BAIT AND SWITCH at it’s finest. Just thought you should know in case you were waiting for the day that the item you wanted to buy goes on sale.

Here is an UPDATE — I received an email late last night apologizing for not having the item in stock and informing me that I could order it today and they would honor the Black Friday Price. I am curious how NOW they have them in stock so I went to order. Basically it started the same line as yesterday that none were in stock. I explained that I received an email and was told that Cabelas would honor the price. After getting moved up the customer service ladder I THINK I was able to order the unit at the advertised price. I say THINK as they still not show any in stock, but the customer service person thought she could make it happen. I have not received the confirmation yet, but it looks more promising than yesterday

Yes, I understand the whole Black Friday offers, but I still feel like it needs to be stated in the advertising or be given a rain check or if the item in discontinued than they should state that also and make a comparable offer.

I happen to work in advertising and when I create “Special Sale” commercials, we also put in a disclaimer if needed. Maybe just looking to be treated like I would treat others. What a unique concept.

big_g
    Isle, MN

This never happens at Gander Mountain… devil jester rotflol

Rick Janssen

UPDATE TO UPDATE — I still have NOT heard anything back as to my order. Not sure if it was placed or not. Now I am worried they ordered at the higher price. I tried calling the person back this morning and the customer service rep I talked to last week was not working today so I left another message. It would be nice to hear back from them to see if they figured it out or not??

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Rick, they’ll get a few back. There is always buyer remorse and they get returned or never checkednout. Funny how buyers change their mind on a purchase and leave product in the weirdest places within a store. Kind of like not wanting to get caught changing their mind

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Some times God does things to try and protect us from ourselves. But we usually force our will and get the fish finder He was trying to save us from. LOL!

hnd

Uhhh thats how blackfriday/cyber monday works. They dont have to tell you nothing. If they do give you a raincheck at that price thank your lucky stars because id of told you to next time get up at 12 am like the rest of the population.

Im trying to imagine a guy walking into walmart midway through the day HEY YOU HAD AN AD FOR THIS TV WHY ARE THEY GONE CAN I GET A RAINCHECK!? youd be laughed out of the store.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

this wouldn’t have happened if you had shopped at walmart…they know how to take care of people

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Whenever you’re buying a big-ticket item, go to your local bait shop. Take the big box ad with you and ask if they’ll match the price. I’ve done it with a Clam screen tent and a power auger. They will probably have to order it, but what’s a few days? You can save money, they still make money, and you save the travel miles and time. At least give the local guy a chance.

CaptainMusky

Im trying to imagine a guy walking into walmart midway through the day HEY YOU HAD AN AD FOR THIS TV WHY ARE THEY GONE CAN I GET A RAINCHECK!? youd be laughed out of the store.

That’s different because those ads CLEARLY state “supply is limited”.
    I can attest to the Cabelas ad because I thought it was strange they didn’t say that for those items. I thought about getting another HDS7, but I didn’t. Glad I didn’t in retrospect because by the sounds of it I may have encountered some unwanted stress. -)

Rick Janssen

UPDATE === I FINALLY got a call back from Cabelas yesterday. I had tried on Monday and early Tues, but the lady that helped me last week was not there. She finally called me back. After much discussion again and me sending the email I had gotten last week saying they would honor the Black Friday price, I got my depth finder ordered!!! They were trying to tell me they could not give me the $100 of Cabelas bucks that was also offered on the sale. Said they were OUT. I would not take no for an answer and she is sending me a $100 gift card. I am not sure what the difference is, but I don’t care. I actually got what they offered in their flyer. Who would have thunk.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

as much as you may or may not think so now cabelas is a top notch outfit. they are one of the only “big box” stores that I know of that treats people right. that’s my experience with them anyhow

CaptainMusky

I agree, I cannot complain with my dealings with them either. I do attest that their pricing on many things are ridiculously overpriced, but when they have sales, they are good ones.
    They stand behind their products too which is sometimes hard to find.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

They have a free shipping on $49 or more and 10 percent off- today only. code 15clubten3

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.