Cabelas After-Christmas Clearance

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I have waders, rain bibs, and a couple different jackets that are breathable (Goretex). They all work great…as long as they’re clean and treated. The whole points is that the fibers are “fuzzy” and the water beads up. It they’re dirty the fibers mat down and it stops working. There are products available just to keep your breathable stuff working right. Personally I used Nikwax to clean things up, and then treat with Revive-X. I have a Goretex jacket that is 12 years old and still works like new.

SR

404 ERROR
    MN

I ordered a pair, we’ll see how they run this next fall. In my hunting group, I am the only one that still uses Neoprene waders. In the last 4 or so years, all 5 of my buddies with breathable waders have had nothing but good to say about them. The downside to breathable waders is there is no buoyancy properties to the material, so a wader belt goes from a benefit, to a necessity.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I always figured the belt was to keep air out. I don’t want the legs of my waders to be full of air if I go under because then I’d be floating upside down, which is bad. At the start of the day I’ll wade in and “burp” the waders.

SR

404 ERROR
    MN

Did you know water weighs the same if inside the waders or outside the waders??? Just food for thought if you ever go under.

Luckily the year is almost over, so you might take the gold. Congrats coffee

Neoprene is naturally buoyant, the material breathable waders are made of, are not. Will they float with you in them? No, but they will help more than a pair of breathable waders will. The buoyant properties of neoprene does not go away once the wader fills with water…It’s like saying once a life jacket gets wet, it will sink…The key for a wader belt is to keep the parachute effect from happening, making it harder to exit the water, not necessarily to keep water completely out. Neoprene waders are tight, breathable waders are not. Don’t fill up on thought, there’s one more holiday this year.

Aaron

That’s cheap. Do u own a pair? EVERYTHING I own that is “breathable” tends to leak in heavy rains or if I lean on them against something…curious how the waders work.

I have a set of the Breathable Dry-Plus and they are awesome. They don’t leak and I have had mine for about 7-8 years now. I would never buy neoprene waders, my buddy has gone through multiple sets and I am still on the same ones. It’s also nice when you get out of the water your waders are dry, this is especially nice when my buddy is putting on frozen or stiff neoprene waders and mine go on no problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.