BWCA Border Route Trip of a Lifetime

• Gitchi Gummi

In the fall of 2022, my BWCA trippin’ partner and I decided we were going to tackle the legendary BWCA border route trip the following spring. This is the BWCA version of a thru hike. We had talked about it for a couple years and knew we both weren’t getting any younger and the feasibility of doing a trip like this goes down every year.

The plan was to put in at Crane Lake entry point (outside of the BWCA) and paddle the US/Canadian border all the way to Lake Superior. It was going to be roughly 225 miles and around 40 portages and we had planned 9 days, so covering roughly 25 miles a day. The last day was going to end with a 13 mile paddle on the Pigeion River and then the ~8 mile Grand Portage where we’d end by jumping into Lake Superior. It was going to test our skills, endurance, and mental strength in ways we haven’t yet experienced in the BWCA. The big unknown was the status of the Pigeon River, what we’d take once we leave the BWCA until we got to the Grand Portage. In spring time, the flow rate can make this river unpassable, especially in a kevlar canoe. We talked to the person who held the fastest known time of the border route (the legendary “Beav”) and picked his brain on how and if we’d be able to tackle the pigeon. The National Park Service cautions difficult paddling at stream flow above 1000 cf/s.

We were both very experienced BWCA trippers but this route was going to take us into areas we have never seen before and probably will never see again in our life. We’d be crossing the entire length of the BWCA from the furthest west point to teh furthest east point, following the border the entire way. We’d be going up stream from Crane Lake all the way to the North/South Lake portage which we projected to hit at the end of Day 6. Once we hit that spot, we’d cross the Laurentian Divide and then be going downstream all the way to Lake Superior.

We diligently planned over the course of the winter and had spreadsheets calculating everything from the number of sheets of TP we’d need, to the weight of every single piece of gear we were bringing in grams, what pack it’d be in, how much fuel to bring, and how much food we were bringing. Ending calculations showed our “heavy pack” was going to be 81 LBs and the lighter pack (for the person portaging the canoe) was going to be 43LBs. We cut approximately 50-60 LBs from the normal amount of gear we bring.

As the trip was a week or two out, we obsessively watched the flow of the pigeon river. It was tracking very high and looking like it would be > 1,000 cfs on the day we projected to pass thru. We had a Garmin in-reach with us and my buddy texted his wife every night and she gave us the pigeon river flow, so we could track it as we got closer to the day we’d navigate it.

I got a wink of sleep the night before we left, when my alarm went off at 3:00 AM. As we drove up to Crane Lake targeting a 6 AM launch, I was bouncing back and forth between excitement and anxiety. I take a big trip every May, usually 8 days and around 40 miles of travel, but nothing like this where we move camp every day.

We launched at Nelson’s resort on Crane and were met with blue skies and a slight tail wind. This would be one of our only tailwinds of the entire trip. I used a Garmin watch to record our travel every day and it turned out 4 of our fastest 5 miles out of the entire trip took place in the first couple hours on Crane. We were flying, full of energy and adrenaline. Spirits were sky high.

Attachments:
    1. portage-1.jpg

2. portage.jpg

Gitchi Gummi

We knew Day 1 was going to be one of the toughest paddle days. We ended up going 29 miles day 1 and just over 9 hours of paddle time. It was a slog because there weren’t many portages to break up the monotonous paddle. 18k paddle strokes to be exact (according to my Garmin watch). We made it to our target destination for the day which was Lac la Croix. As we were resting in camp that night, I had a mix of emotions running thru my head. I was excited but not fully sure I was physically capable of paddling 25+ miles a day and the 40+ portages we had ahead. I was asleep before my head hit the hammock that night.
    Day 1 stats = 29 miles, 18k paddle strokes, 3 portages, and 9 hours of travel

Day 2 we traveled another 25 miles and ended up on Crooked Lake. We had tripped to Crooked in May several times before and the walleye fishing is incredible at the end of May. We had planned one fish fry the trip and it was going to be on Crooked. Nothing like needing to catch fish for dinner after paddling 25 miles and 10.5 hours. We didn’t even find a campsite yet, just started fishing once we got a few miles into Crooked. Mentally and physically exhausted, I fished hard. You fish a lot harder when your dinner depends on it. My buddy ended up hooking a nice 22” within 15 min. Whew! A sigh of relief. We’d be eating dinner! We fished for a little while longer with no other keepers before we decided to find a campsite and set up camp and begin cooking dinner. We planned to fish from camp to try to get one more keeper. My buddy ended up hooking another keeper, around 16-17” if I remember right. We were set. I was done fishing and ready to get a fire going and relax. I was exhausted.
    Day 2 stats = 25 miles, 15k paddle strokes, 2 portages and 10.5 hours of travel

Day 3 targeted ending up on Basswood lake which included a ~1 mile portage to get to. We paddled by our targeted campsite around 5 or 6 at night. We wanted to keep going another hour or so to “get ahead” of our travel plan. We made camp a few miles down Basswood and were officially ahead of schedule. This was a huge turning point in the trip for me. I realized we were mentally and physically capable of completing this journey. I’d be lying if some doubt wasn’t building in the back of my head on the first couple days. We set up camp, had a fire, and called it an early night. Our regular 6 AM wakeup call seemed like it came 10 minutes after I laid down for the night. We get our nightly update of the Pigeon River flow and its still tracking high. We begin to think our Plan B to skip the Pigeon and Grand Portage was becoming more likely.
    Day 3 stats = 27 miles paddled, 18k paddle strokes, 5 portages and 11 hours of travel.

Attachments:
    1. Basswood-portage.jpg

2. Crooked-Campsite.jpg

3. Curtain-Falls.jpg

Gitchi Gummi

Day 4’s target destination was the beginning of Sag (Saganaga Lake) and the biggest water we’d be crossing on the entire trip. We made it the roughly 30 miles to Sag and the campsite we wanted was taken. On to the next one, taken. Same story for the next several sites. We had one more site around the corner and if that wasn’t open, it meant we had another ~2-3 miles until the next site. We surely weren’t backtracking. That last site ended up being open and I don’t think I’ve ever been more relieved.

Exhausted is an understatement but the mental momentum we had for being ahead of schedule and being almost half way thru the trip was a huge positive.

I didn’t sleep the best that night knowing we’d be crossing Sag the next day. I’ve paddled Sag before and its dicey even with moderate wind. Granted there were some islands we could use to play the wind, we would be crossing BIG water.
    Day 4 stats = 32 miles paddled, 18,500 paddle strokes, 9 portages and 10.5 hours of travel.

Day 5 we wake up and were greeted with blue skies and calm wind. We quickly made breakfast and coffee and get camp packed up as quick as we can. We are now a well oiled machine when it comes to breaking down camp. Under 60 minutes from the time the alarm goes off, to the time of the first paddle stroke (that includes a breakfast and a trip to the thunder box). We paddle across Sag with no issues. Once we made it to the narrows, we collectively breath a sigh of relief. We paddle a few more miles and portages down the Granite River and end up camping right by the Devil’s Elbow on Gneiss Lake. Our nightly check-in with my Buddy’s wife showed the Pigeon River was still tracking high. It was at this point in the trip we officially axed the plan to hit the Pigeon. Being that neither of us had every paddled it before, it was known to be very rocky and have little to no pull out points ahead of rapids, we decided to play it safe. Kevlar canoes, fast current and rocks don’t mix well. We were bummed but knew we made the safe decision and we now were WAY ahead of schedule.
    Day 5 stats = 18 miles paddled, 11k paddle strokes, 8 portages and 7 hours of travel.

Day 6 we stayed in the granite river chain of lakes and made our way to Clove lake where we made camp for the night. We were greeted with a nice campsite tucked in on the northern shoreline and a sandy beach. First time I’ve ever had a sandy beach campsite in the BWCA. Setup camp for the night, collect firewood, and sit back around the fire and have a few whiskeys and take it all in. I took out my phone and to my surprise realized I had cell service. I text a couple people with updates and check the weather. To our surprise, there was a huge thunderstorm headed our way that night which shifted spirits a little. I’ve been in big storms in the BWCA before and they are not fun, especially this far in. We batten down the hatches and prepare camp to weather the storm. I get woken up around 1 or 2 AM from my buddy who was worried about the storm. I checked the radar again and in few words, it did not look good. In hindsight, I wish I wouldn’t have ever looked at the radar. There was severe anxiety that night for both of us. Huge flashes of lightning every few seconds, big wind and cracks of thunder. I pulled my knit hat down over my eyes and put ear plugs in to try to mentally escape the storm.
    Day 6 stats = 23 miles paddled, ~15k paddle strokes, 5 portages, and 8.5 hours of travel.

Attachments:
    1. Sag-campsite-2.jpg

2. Sag-campsite.jpg

3. Border-monument.jpg

4. Clove-lake-campsite.jpg

Gitchi Gummi

Morning eventually came and spirits were high again now that the storm passed. We packed up camp and finished paddling the granite river and made our way into Gunflint lake. Technically we “left” the BWCA at this point until we crossed Gunflint but as long as you don’t get out and touch land, you are still good on your original permit to reenter on the other side of Gunflint. Gunflint was a slog of paddle. Zero wind, flat calm, and scalding hot sun. Luckily we had some good podcasts to listen to as we tried to break thru the slog. Seeing motor boats was an interesting change after a few days of solitude.

We got thru Gunflint and on to North Lake and then the North/South Lake portage crossing the Laurentian divide. It was anti climatic, but you clearly could tell where the uphill turned to downhill. Kind of cool to cross it at the border. We paddled a few more lakes to end up on Rose Lake for the night. Really cool campsite and topography of the area. Very cool area that I would like to get back to.
    Day 7 stats = 11 miles paddled, ~7k paddle strokes, 2 portages and 5 hours of travel. Our easiest day of the trip by far. We slept well that night knowing tomorrow was the last day since we weren’t doing the pigeon river + grand portage.

Day 8 we wake up. June 2nd – my 35th birthday. I usually end up spending my birthday in the BWCA every year and there’s no place I’d rather spend it. We have our last breakfast and pot of coffee and reflect a bit on the trip. I think to myself – I’m never eating oatmeal again in my life. We traveled the rest of the BWCA that day to North Fowl Lake and then took our Plan B detour to John Lake and then McFarland Lake where we took out and had a few birthday whiskey shots while we waited for our ride to pick us up. Spirits were higher than ever.
    Day 8 stats = 14 miles traveled, ~10k paddle strokes, 5 portages, and 6 hours of travel.
    Lakes traveled = Crane, Little Vermillion, Loon Lake, Lac la Croix, Bottle, Iron, Crooked, Basswood River, Basswood, Sucker, Birch, Carp, Seed, Knife, Ottertrack, Swamp, Sag, Maraboeuf, Granite River, Gneiss, Clove, Pine River, Magnetic, Gunflint, Little Gunflint, North Lake, South Lake, Rose, Rove, Watap, Mountain, Moose, North Fowl, Royal River, Royal, John, MacFarland.

All in all, it was a trip of a lifetime. This sounds corny and cliché but I’ve never felt more alive in my life than I did on that trip. I felt like I was on top of the world and could accomplish anything. I had never really pushed myself that far out of my comfort zone before and I couldn’t be happier that I did. It takes a certain degree of mental toughness to keep up the monotonous paddle each day, stroke after stroke. It was a life changing experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I wish others could have experienced it with me but there are only so many people that would sign up for putting themselves through that sort of misery. It was definitely a little bit of a letdown that we didn’t do the pigeon river and grand portage, but it was the right call. We plan to go and hit that next spring on a day trip.

There’s just something about the BWCA where I feel a connection unlike anywhere else in the world. I’m not a religious person and don’t believe in God in traditional/religious sense, but when I’m in the BWCA, I really do feel like I connect with a higher power. Being completely unplugged from society and slowing down and moving at your own pace is really a freeing feeling. Your life is simplified down to basic necessities. Food, water, clothing, and shelter. Not much else matters in the grand scheme of things.

Total trip stats = 8 days, 180.4 miles, 112,300 paddle strokes, 39 portages and 67 hours of paddling.

Absolutely incredible experience. If you’ve ever dreamt of a bucket list trip, don’t wait. Just do it. You’re not getting any younger and tomorrow isn’t promised for anyone and if your trip is like mine, it is a life changing experience.

Attachments:
    1. take-out.jpg

2. Monument-portage.jpg

3. Rose-Lake-campsite.jpg

tswoboda

Congrats on a lifetime accomplishment and thanks for sharing this trip report. You did it with excellent story telling!!!

when I’m in the BWCA, I really do feel like I connect with a higher power. Being completely unplugged from society and slowing down and moving at your own pace is really a freeing feeling.

100% – I’ve been a lot of places and nowhere else has given me an equal level of calm as the BWCA in winter.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Great recap and sounds like quite a trip! It’s been many years since I spent time in the BWCA and it’s stories like this that get me thinking about a return. Would love to take our boys there to experience that “unplugged” feeling.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Awesome trip and report! Congrats Gitchi.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

LOVE it Gitchi!! Now I have to go back and look at the photos!

Thanks for taking the time to hammer your trip out!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That’s awesome man. And a trip I would love to make some day.
    If that’s you or your buddy in that pic who ever it is looks identical to my buddy Tony

Riverrat

Thanks for the story Gitch, everytime I read the name of a lake I had been on I got a little adrenaline flowing. I haven’t been to the BWCA since the late 90’s, and I’m not really sure I could do those portages now, even after some serious through hiking that honed my packing skills. Again, thanks for the story and the chance to feel some of my favorite memories again.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Awesome trip! It is something that I will never do. When I was younger, being remote like that never appealed to me. It does now, but only if I can sleep in a bed at night.

Gitchi Gummi

Thanks guys. I’m glad some can live vicariously through my story. I have so much more about the trip I could write but I tried to be concise. A few other noteworthy things:

– I’m not sure if I made it clear, but we traversed the entire BWCA from west to east along the US/Canadian border. Probably went in and out of Canada a thousand times on this trip.

– our sketchiest situation of the entire trip was about 3 hours in on Day 1 when we tried to portage around some rapids on the Loon River and put in too close to the rapids and got sucked back down the rapids backwards. miraculously we didn’t tip and were able to laugh about it afterwards

– we only had one navigation error the entire trip. we both were navigating and can proudly say we were extremely efficient in paddling. The only wrong turn we took the entire trip was literally the last corner to the take out boat launch. We turned where we thought it would be and it was actually the bay before. Not bad for ~200 miles of canoe travel with paper maps

– when we were on Crooked Lake, our travel was upstream. There were a few narrow spots where the current was really strong. This was late May so water levels were high and fast. There were a couple times we were paddling hard enough that we should have been going 4+ MPH but when I looked at my watch, we were under 2 MPH. This added to the mental anxiety and we literally didn’t know if we’d would be able to do the whole route if it was like that the whole way.

– a carbon fiber paddle is worth its weight in gold

– if I never eat oatmeal again in my life, it will be too soon

– the BWCA is an incredible place I hope everyone can experience at some point in their life. In today’s world with cell phones and technology, the BWCA provides a mental reset you can’t get many places. Not to get political but this is a special place that needs to be preserved and there should not be any mining within the bwca watershed

If anyone is ever considering a similar BWCA trip (or any BWCA trip for that matter) feel free to reach out. I have a wealth of knowledge about the BWCA I’d love to share if anyone is ever in need.

Coletrain27

That looks like an awesome time. I’ve only done one trip in there before and would love to go again

ThunderLund78

I don’t have time to read all of this now, but DANG!!! I can’t wait unitl tonight so I can spend more time with your story and pics! AWESOME TRIP!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Epic trip! I’m so jealous.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Congrats on a lifetime accomplishment and thanks for sharing this trip report. You did it with excellent story telling!!!

Exactly when I started reading it and saw how long it was I wasn’t sure I would keep reading it, but couldn’t stop. You are an excellent story teller sir. I really would like to try the BWCA but haven’t held a paddle in a long time and not sure my body would hold up for it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Awesome trip! It is something that I will never do. When I was younger, being remote like that never appealed to me. It does now, but only if I can sleep in a bed at night.

For people who don’t think BWCA is physically possible for them or want/need some creature comforts, I’d highly recommend doing a Rainy Lake Houseboat. If you go down lake far enough, it is very similar scenery (VNP ends on Crane Lake, and BWCA starts on the other side, basically), very minimal boat traffic, no cell phone reception, but you still have a bed, ice, kitchen/grill, motorized fishing boat and even a hot tub if you want one.

CaptainMusky

Gitchi that is awesome and thanks for the recap! What a wonderful trip, one that I will likely never even attempt but I applaud those that do.

Gitchi Gummi

That’s awesome man. And a trip I would love to make some day.
    If that’s you or your buddy in that pic who ever it is looks identical to my buddy Tony

haha the first pic portaging the canoe is my buddy (not named Tony) and the 2nd portaging pic is me. That’d be funny tho.

You should definitely try to get up there sometime BC. If you’re ever looking for a beginner style trip with good fishing, let me know and I can recommend a trip for ya.

Gitchi Gummi

Another thing I’ll add is that starting in early April, I wanted to fine tune my portaging conditioning. I don’t care how good of shape you are in, portaging with a heavy pack works different muscles. Knowing this trip was going to be the most portaging I ever have done, I needed to get to work.

I live on a gravel road outside of town that has no traffic. On my daily dog walk, I would throw my 60 lb aluminum canoe on my shoulders and fill my pack with some weight, and start walking down my road.

I started with 15 LBs in my pack, and the first day I walked a 1/4 mile with the pack/canoe combo which I would say is the average distance of a portage in the bwca. Every walk after that, I made a point to go a little further then the last time I went, even if it was just another 25 yards. By the time the trip was a week away, I was up to a 1.5 mile portage with no breaks. I also gradually increased the weight in my pack.

I got some awfully weird looks carrying a canoe on my shoulders and full pack on my back while walking my dog in shorts, a T shirt and muck boots when there was still snow on the ground in April. LOL hah

tswoboda

Keep it up a couple years and you’ll be ready for that marathon in Ely where they carry canoes applause

Gitchi Gummi

Try sleeping in an a-symmetrical camping hammock. It’s the most comfortable sleep I’ve ever had not in my bed and rivals the comfort of my bed at home. I was skeptical of camping hammocks for a long time. Then I slept in one and completely changed my perspective.

And just to be clear, a camping hammock is very different than your standard backyard hammock. You sleep completely flat. Built in bug net. Rain fly. You’re kind of swaddled by your top quilt/underquilt or sleeping bag. It’s the bees knees

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

wow.
    thank you so much for sharing this experience.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Thanks for sharing! Nothing like what you did, but a few weeks ago we did a boat-in campsite on Namakan, launching from the Ash River Visitor Center. I’ve never been on Kab, Nam, or the Ash. I can’t believe what I’ve been missing all these years. Will be going back and trying new camp spots every year from now on.

Johnny

thank you for sharing. I’m looking at doing a part of the border route this spring and this report was very helpful

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Glad this was brought to the top again as I missed it the first time.

Kudo’s on the trip and you are right about one thing. As you age you will have the memories and not the “wish I would have” that many of us have. I’ve always wanted to boat the entire Missouri River, I don’t know why and I doubt I ever will but it is something to think about.

I’m looking forward to your next adventure.

MX1825

I’m like Dutch. I missed this the 1st time it was posted.
    Congrats Gitchi! Very well written and love the pictures. waytogo

wkw

I missed it too. A very good read, and brought me back to 50 years ago when our co-ed church group did a 9 day trip out of Seagull Lake and the Gunflint. Yes, Big Sag was tough. We were going west into the wind. A trip I will never forget.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Terrific post and I’m glad it got to the top again because I missed it originally as well. Very much admire your planning and fitness.

You are right in your comments about technology. Talk about the ultimate in double-edged swords, we love it, we loath it, all in equal measures. I think in my annual trip to the Canadian sub-arctic, I have commented as many times that it’s nice to get away from the phones, internet, etc as I have wished that we had phones/internet just so we could do [insert one little task here].

I look forward to your epilogue, from the Pigeon River, over Grand Portage, and the (brief) splashdown in Superior. I’ve wanted to walk the Grand Portage someday, just really interested in the history.

jwellsy

All glory goes to God for making such wonderful places for us to enjoy.

Any aurora lights?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.