buying used SxS

• Gitchi Gummi

I’ve been searching for a used ranger for a while now. I’m looking at midsize rangers that are 5 years old or less. My main use for it will be plowing my driveway but I will also use it for hunting. I’ve owned a wheeler (sportsman) for the last 5 years before I owned it this spring. When looking at a used SxS, what should I be looking for when kicking the tires and taking it for a test drive? I’m not as familiar with side by sides as I am wheelers.

404 ERROR
    MN

One that wasn’t trail ridden much, if at all. Look behind the seats, under the dash and in other hard to reach areas. If they’re covered in mud, walk. SXS’s and ATV’s are pretty much identical when evaluating for a purchase.

Nothing really specific to SXS’s, but check wheels for play (tie rods, balls joints, wheel bearings), check for steering play (rack issue). Listen closely to the belt box exhaust, worn out clutches tend to rattle relatively loud at idle. Check EVERY weld on the roll cage. If there is paint cracking at the welds, it was most likely rolled and I would promptly “roll out” of the deal. Most SXS’s are rolled at low speeds, specially utility machines like a Ranger. You may not even scratch the cage in a roll, but you will almost always tweak it. Ask me how I know…

Finally, ensure there is no loan on the machine.

Coletrain27

I wouldn’t be concerned about a trail ridden machine at all. It all depends on the owner. I owned a 17 ranger 570 midsize EPS model and that was a nice machine. I had it for 1100 miles and all I used it for was trail riding and road riding.

When you look at a machine you can usually tell how well it was taken care of it by how clean it is. If I showed up to look at one and it was all dirty and muddy I Would pass on it. Always ask about oil changes and differential oil changes. If there too lazy to have it cleaned up and looking nice when trying to sell it then chances are they are to lazy to maintain it.

Sold that ranger and have a Kawasaki teryx 4 LE now because I wanted something with better suspension for trail riding.

Coletrain27

This was mine with 1100 miles on it when I sold it

Attachments:
    1. D8F61E68-4B2A-4FA8-A2D4-C2E1BA83F03B.jpeg

Deuces

I’d imagine Eagle’s definition of trail riding is different than coletrains whistling

Coletrain27

I’d imagine Eagle’s definition of trail riding is different than coletrains whistling

??? we ride northern mn and northern wi

JoeMX1825
    MN

If it has/had a snorkel kit installed, stay away….

Ice Cap

Educate yourself on used pricing and how much accessories are worth. The rest is judgement call on you’re part. Judging the sellers character and the condition of the machine. Don’t go cheap on the plow especially if you have a lot of plowing to do. I went with the Denali plow from Moto Alliance on mine and have been very pleased with it after four seasons of a lot of plowing.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

When buying used machine with a CVT it is best to pull the clutches and clean them up and replace the buttons. Easy and low cost. Cole’s advice is good for buying anything used.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Ask what it was used for and why they’re selling. Those answers can tell a lot… especially if the wear and tear you observe doesn’t line up with what they tell you.

Also take note of where you’re buying it from. If it’s a seller says he uses it for plowing and has a 1/2 mile gravel driveway, it’s going to have been worked harder than a little concrete pad driveway in front of a garage. I like to look at the conditions of other things the seller owns as well. Do they take pride in their house, yard, other toys or vehicles around?

Go with your gut. It’s rarely wrong unless you’re some sort of Gopher or Vikings fan.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’d imagine Eagle’s definition of trail riding is different than coletrain

100% haha. Mine frequently flies through the air like an eagle on trail rides.

Attachments:
    1. 879A76D2-B5A6-4C3E-8463-76C243767655.jpeg

Jim in Wisconsin

I’ve had a Polaris Explorer for the past 20 years that I’ve used for snow-plowing and pulling deer out of the woods. Then about 6 years ago I bought a Polaris Razor-S for snow and deer… I find the Razor to be better for snow-plowing but worthless for going in the woods to drag out my deer. It’s too big, and it doesn’t fit in the bed of my truck~~too wide.

My advice is to buy from an old person who is smart enough to know that mud and submersion are bad for seals, bearings and grease joints. (We don’t have seals in this North-country but we have lots of bears and mud holes). My 20 y.o. Polaris Explorer is still running the original seat, drive belt and tires. The plastic is all intact.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I like to look at the conditions of other things the seller owns as well. Do they take pride in their house, yard, other toys or vehicles around?

This ^^^^. This is one I consider every time. If the seller’s garage is a sh!theap and everything he owns doesn’t look like it hasn’t been washed in 2 years, then what are the chances he keeps up on the maintenance of the UTV?

Also, if his pictures show the UTV all shiny in the driveway with the driveway still wet from washing it 5 minutes before he took the pics… What are the chances he washed it and took care of it frequently?

Also, you can tell a lot about how a guy used something not by what he says, but by what he did as far as replacing parts on the UTV. He might SAY he never mudded it, but if he’s got a lift kit and 30 inch Super Swamp Sucker tires on it with custom MudBlaster low drag rims, there’s a fair chance he beat ‘er like a rented mule in every mud bog between here and Moose Jaw. Exaggerated example, but look carefully at what parts he replaced and make sure they match the story about how he used it. If the machine has 500 miles on it, but has brand new, big-lug tires, he didn’t wear off the original tires riding to the mail box every day to get letters from his mother.

There are a couple of places on a machine that you cannot hide wear. On the skid plates and lower A arms, mud, grass, and gravel will wear and smooth any part that sticks down.

I personally would never even look at a farm machine. They get beat hard, left out in the weather, and the acid from manure eats or rusts everything.

Grouse

Kevin hultgren

I purchased this UTV and can’t find any tags on the actual unit. I do know the engine is a two cylinder 650cc. It is four wheel drive and a four speed standard transmission. Does anyone know what it is.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5746-scaled.jpeg

B-man

I purchased this UTV and can’t find any tags on the actual unit. I do know the engine is a two cylinder 650cc. It is four wheel drive and a four speed standard transmission. Does anyone know what it is.

Stolen rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Very much so. His trails are built to push a machine to its limits. ( didn’t realize this thread was this old ).

Coletrain27

Very much so. His trails are built to push a machine to its limits. ( didn’t realize this thread was this old ).

I ride the same trails everybody else does and push mine just as much. Spending 35k on something it’s gonna be kept clean before I put it away. Had mine buried last summer

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8120-scaled.jpeg

Coletrain27

This was riding prospector trails last year. Great trails

Attachments:
    1. IMG_9421-scaled.jpeg

Dan
    Southeast MN

I’m sure not everyone will agree with me but I would at least eyeball some new units as well, if nothing else than for a comparison. It’s been 4 years since we got our SxS but, much like the pickup truck world, the gap in price between new and 2-3 years used is getting much smaller.

brandyman
    West central MN

We have three rangers on our farm. They take alot of abuse and as long as you keep oils in them and grease it once in a while they stand up. But we don’t beat up our equipment.
    Mine is 9 years old with 8300 miles on it. As far as miles, my brother drives his sxs more than his pickup. About 6k a year! He services a ton of atv’s and sxs’s. Keeps buying rangers.
    Check the tire wear, shows if suspension is worn or bent. They start having wiring harness issues from all the ratting around on trail miles. Road miles, not so much. Cabs and heat make hunting and fishing outings so much better!

B-man

I’m sure not everyone will agree with me but I would at least eyeball some new units as well, if nothing else than for a comparison. It’s been 4 years since we got our SxS but, much like the pickup truck world, the gap in price between new and 2-3 years used is getting much smaller.

I saw at the Duluth Show yesterday that Argo is getting into the UTV game.

Their prices were very attractive waytogo

I know nothing about them, but at first glance they looked like a decent machine for the money.

It included a 3000 watt Argo suitcase generator to entice buyers

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240218-142207-1.png

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Kevin that looks like a project.

Deuces

Dam, old thread.

What happened to mericaneagle? He still SxSing, shooting ducks and destroying lower units w redneck jr in pool 4?

Edit: I forgot he doesn’t own guns grin

MX1825

Walking through that shed of Kevin’s looks like you better have accident insurance. whistling

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dam, old thread.

What happened to mericaneagle? He still SxSing, shooting ducks and destroying lower units w redneck jr in pool 4?

Edit: I forgot he doesn’t own guns grin

I talked to him a couple months ago, he was still out destroying side x sides for sure. And breaking his garage slab.

B-man

Walking through that shed of Kevin’s looks like you better have accident insurance. whistling

rotflol rotflol rotflol

Better check yourself for you wreck yourself MX mrgreen

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240219-1116312.png

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I ride the same trails everybody else does and push mine just as much.

Negative. Different trails. This is from merican eagle himself. I wasn’t trying to be rude. Most guys ride the trails you do coletrain. But Dave’s style was more abusive.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240219_124236_Messages.jpg

Coletrain27

That looks to me like Zach Kurths place. Man made obstacles not really trails. He’s got some crazy stuff and a lot of broken rigs there haha

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0423.png

Coletrain27

He’s got a sweet setup

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0422.png

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.