Buying Snowmobile in Canada?

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I’m looking at a used snowmobile in Canada. Would be a private party sale. Price is good, but I’m not sure how duty works. I’ve tried the Google machine without much clarity. Anyone here know how much duty would be bringing a sled into the US after purchasing in Canada?

27eyeguy

Or is it a better deal having him deliver to US? I don’t remember which is better, buddy used to buy all his trucks n toys from Canada. May have all been done “Under the radar”, I never got in on the dealings.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I don’t want to go under the radar and screw up my border crossings. We go up 4 – 6 times per year. Last thing I need is a cavity search.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Might be worth a call to a snowmobile dealership up there and ask them about buying from the states. They probably would have the answer even if you’re buying from a private party.

btyreprich
    Rhinelander, WI

My thoughts are the purchase process – new or used – has to be similar.
    When I crossed the border with my new boat last year, I presented the certificate of origin and purchase receipt. Border guards spent a while making sure the outboard met our EPA standards and the trailer met DOT standards.
    I did not pay any Canadian taxes as it was in export item. Taxes I paid were to Wisconsin offices of DNR, Dept of Revenue, and Motor Vehicles.
    If you are doubt, a shipping agent could help you for a fee of course.

tswoboda

I’m looking at a used snowmobile in Canada. Would be a private party sale. Price is good, but I’m not sure how duty works. I’ve tried the Google machine without much clarity. Anyone here know how much duty would be bringing a sled into the US after purchasing in Canada?

I don’t think there’s any import duty. There is paper work though, call the US Port where you will cross and ask them… they ask the question every time if you’re bringing anything from Canada home with you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.