Buying my first boat – need your rigging help.

• Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I am 58 and plan to buy my first real boat Tuesday. Alumacraft Classic 165 CS with 60HP Merc. All I have had are 14 Alumacraft rowboats (bench seats) with a 6 or 8HP on it. I am trying to retire (but the phone keeps ringing). So I figure it’s time to retire the 14 footers.

I am not made of money, BUT I do want to buy once – cry once as they say. I have zero knowledge of electronics and trolling motors other than what I read online. I figure this place is my best source of info.

Trolling motor- Getting a Minnkota with I-Pilot. Do I need the cordless remote?

Locators- I see most boats have a bigger screen at the console and a smaller one at the bow. I was thinking Helix 9 at the counsel and a Helix 7 at the bow. What sizes do I need? Will a Helix 7 & 5 be good?

Bimini top- Anyone have one? Do you use it? Will your next boat have one? Factory (Dowco) for $1200 or other brand ($300-800) I install. Do I need a top?

Any other must haves? All suggestions are welcome.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Congrats – that will be a great boat.

To answer your questions – yes on the remote. You will also have the pedal but you will want the remote.

I think you will want the 9 at the counsel. A 7 will likely be a bit small. I run 9/7 in Garmins on a slightly bigger boat and I would go even bigger if I could.

The bimini is a great option….I’d make sure to get one that is easily removable or folds down out of the way well. Not sure if you will have kids/grandkids/wife in the boat but if you do, a bimini is a must. I’d likely spend the money now and get the factory version. In my experience you get what you pay for.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Depends on what your planning to fish? Walleyes-trolling or Bass-casting from front? I’m a Bass guy and would have the 9DI Mega on the bow with an Ultrex trolling motor. If your getting into side-imaging then a 9SI on the console.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

As Buzz stated, it depends how you plan to fish. If you’re going to be fishing from the cockpit and not the bow, I’d consider getting just one, bigger graph. I haven’t priced the cost of a Helix 7 plus a Helix 9 but I’d look into getting a Helix 10 or maybe even a Helix 12 if you have room on the console. The cost of a Helix 12 might not be too much more than the cost of the 7 + 9 combined. Definitely get Side Imaging.

Another thing to consider is that with a remote controlled trolling motor, you don’t necessarily have to be in the bow to control it which will make it easier to get by with a single graph at the console.

Being able to find a 10″ or 12″ in stock is another topic. Good Luck.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Depends how you like to fish. You don’t need a remote but I have yet to use my foot pedal in over 5 years. You will want the spotlock, trust me. I like sitting at the console watching my Helix 10 while I fish and rarely go up front only to cast somtimes. I have a 7 on the bow but use it very very sparingly so not really necessary either but nice to have. I would use a bimini if I had one mostly to block the sun.

Sylvanboat

I bought my boat in 1996 and I am still tweaking. Avoid buying too much right away. Use the boat and see what you like. I am 66 and I love the large Helix 10 screen. Get the best MinnKota trolling you can afford, even if you can’t. You will not regret it. Good luck.

Krh129

Would definitely get a wireless remote, you will love spot lock really nice when you hook a fish on a windy day for example you will not get blown off your spot and the ability to move around the boat especially with multiple people in the boat. I notice it when I am helping my wife who fishes occasionally, free a snag or to net a fish. ( see spot lock as well)

On the graphs I would do a helix 10 for a main, I’m slightly older than you are and my eyes are not what they used to be, I have a helix 10 and it is really nice when using a split screen say sonar and gps….

Enjoy your new boat

Ripjiggen

Remote yes
    7 and 9 inch graphs at least
    Bimini nice to have won’t give mine up.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Remote yes.The bigger Humminbird wherever you spend the most time fishing.If your up front fishing off the deck-the bigger unit,if your by the counsel trolling mostly the bigger one back there.
    I assume by your screen name on here your in the Rhinelander area.I also would assume if thats the case your going to be up on the front deck doing most of your fishing.

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

I just put an Ulterra on my boat. A main factor to that was fishing with my dad who is not in the best health and he could not put the Terrova up and down. It is sad to say, but with all of us getting older it is something to take into consideration depending upon who you fish with. Like others have mentioned, the remote is a must. I installed the Ulterra with the Mega DI transducer built in and am waiting for my backordered Helix 9 Mega DI unit to arrive.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Wish I would have gotten a Bimini when I bought my boat. If you think you might want a Bimini just get it now and get the factory one. Don’t buy a cheapie “one size fits all” one later.

I’ve priced out custom Bimini tops a few times but just can’t pull the trigger due to cost despite the fact I know we would love it. We use umbrellas on the boat to get away from the sun. Works ok and hard to argue with the price but hard to fish and hold an umbrella unless your trolling.

Remote is awesome although they have had some quality issues. I think some on here have had to replace relatively new remotes and they aren’t cheap. Personally mine still works fine but I had to replace the charging chord one already and it was only 2 seasons old at the time.

I fish from the console 90% of the time. I am currently debating this exact question about electronics. I bought a new graph which will go on the console and was thinking about where to rig my old one. I think I’m just gonna sell it and roll with 1 graph on the boat

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I appreciate all the good help.
    Old eyes too. The bigger the screen the better.
    I thought if you have a Bimini Top now, it would be hard to give up.

Biggest issue I see is getting the stuff I want. Helix 9 backordered???? Well I waited decades to get a real boat (and have time to use it) I can wait a little more.

Yes Chuck, near Rhinelander. Unsure if I will spend most of my time up front…..I never had one to fish from. I mostly chase Walleyes with jigs. I never troll. Well we couldn’t up to a few years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.