Buying boat in WI and registering in MN

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Today I will be entering the “laid back” family world of owning a pontoon. I am picking up the 18′ pontoon from a private seller in Somerset, WI.

I have read through some old posts about this but wanted to make sure I had my ducks in a row.
    Here is the list I have gathered of things I believe I need.

1) Bill of Sale for pontoon
    2) Bill of Sale for trailer
    3) Note from seller saying he never registered the trailer since the boat is under 3000lbs (whether it truly is under 3000lbs I am not sure)
    Anything else?

When I register everything I also heard I may need to pay taxes on not only the trailer but also the boat since I am buying it from WI.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Also, looking through some generic Bill of Sale forms for different counties in WI it looks like maybe the trailer needs signed witnesses and also a notary signature? Anyone have knowledge of this?

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

And if anyone is questioning my man card, no I didn’t have to (wasn’t forced to by my wife) to sell my Warrior boat.

You are still welcome to question my man card for other reasons tho! )

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

You bought a WHAT??? I am done with you jester jester jester

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Welcome to the world of floating living room fishing. An awesome way to catch fish!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve fished with you Evan…you never had a man card. devil

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I try to get one serious answer one time from you goons and all I get is a debate on my man card.

Which makes me wonder can something that doesn’t exist be debated? you know….like area 51 woot

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I would try and verify that it’s under 3000lbs if possible. I’ve read some stories of people getting tickets for this. And yes, it is your responsibility to buy the correct trailer registration. Not the crabby person behind the counter.

I don’t think you need a bill of sale for either. I didn’t. Just tell them how much the trailer is worth, just guess.

Bill of sale may only be needed for the boat if there isn’t a title. Otherwise just bring the title to the dmv.

I bought my boat in WI and everything went smooth with the above info.

Now go buy yourself a purse and a minivan and you’re all set.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Good point on the verification.

18′ toon weight is 1200lbs plus motor. So I am good there.

Does that seem light for a toon? It did to me. I could always pull it onto a scale on the way home too.

Gill, did you have to pay taxes on just the trailer when you transferred the title or on the complete purchase?

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Now go buy yourself a purse and a minivan and you’re all set.

and please! It’s called a Murse! and I have always said…there isn’t anything MINI about a minivan )

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I bought from dealer and paid WI taxes on boat but paid taxes on trailer in MN I do not know answer on used

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I goggled your question and this pdf came from state of MN. I interpret no tax boat and motor.

Mwal

Attachments:
    1. dnr_vehicle_salesuse_tax.pdf

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Gill, did you have to pay taxes on just the trailer when you transferred the title or on the complete purchase?

Yes on the trailer. No on the boat. I think I paid a title fee on the boat though.

and please! It’s called a Murse! and I have always said…there isn’t anything MINI about a minivan

That’ll go good with your Bro.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4457.jpg

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I goggled your question and this pdf came from state of MN. I interpret no tax boat and motor.

Thanks mwal, I interpret it the same way. We will find out when I get over to the DMV sometime next week. I will make sure to post an update…

And Gill, the bro is a Seinfield classic!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I can assure you no tax on the boat. waytogo

No need to make up a phony story about how much you paid for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.