Buying a used vehicle

• Jensen

Thoughts on vehicle in great shape bit has 342k miles on body but a new motor put in with only 80k miles. Fair price in this market any worries about this? It’s a Chevrolet Silverado 8 yes old.

CaptainMusky

That’s a ton of miles, but with the new engine it shouldnt be of too much concern, but wonder about other maintenance being done. Transmission would be the next thing Id potentially worry about. How is the body and frame for rust?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I would have a very thorough inspection done on a vehicle like that. Check the undercarriage for rust too especially if it was used in the Midwest.

Jensen

Rust is minimal

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Price??
    That’s a good amount of miles.
    Other than the engine replacement is there any other service records? Transmission, transfer case, differentials could all be an issue without having been replaced or at least maintained.
    Think of how many gallons of fuel that little pump had moved in its life, if not already replaced it’s sure to be tired and bound to fail.
    Lots of questions to be asked on a vehicle with that many miles on the clock.
    Sometimes the high mileage rigs with good maintenance history are better than low mileage rigs. It all depends on how it was taken care of previously.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Things to worry about: Wheel bearings, tie rod ends, fuel pump, any other suspension items/shocks , transfer case. These things wear out with mileage. Even tho the motor is newer.

Jensen

Thanks guys never bought something with a new motor put in or a vehicle with that much miles on the body. Price wise it’s around 8k.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Thoughts on vehicle in great shape bit has 342k miles on body but a new motor put in with only 80k miles.

Price wise it’s around 8k.

Wow. I’m not saying the seller won’t get $8k in today’s market, but wow. 340+k, 80k on new motor, and still 8k. I guess that’s where we are with new costing upwards of 50k now, if of course, you could get a new one at all, which you can’t.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

In my opinion, $8k for a truck with 350k miles is crazy unless it’s a 1 ton diesel.
    I wouldn’t worry about the little things like tie rod’s, wheel bearings, or shocks. They’re minor details that you can expect to replace on any used vehicle.
    Have your mechanic inspect the vehicle so you know what you’re buying when it comes to regular wear/ maintenance items.
    Matt’s suggestion to get the oil analyzed is not a bad idea either.
    Assuming it’s a 1/2 ton with a 5.3 featuring active fuel management, I wouldn’t assume the engine is fine just because it only has 80k. They are problematic engines that require diligent regular maintenance.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

To anyone that has that fuel management system. Do you self a favor and buy a fuel management delete. It’s a little box that hooks into the data port and will eliminate the active fuel management from working. The fuel mileage drop is not a big deal and it will stop you from having to replace stuck lifters. As to the vehicle in question I would expect to replace the transmission if it has not been done yet. Rusted brake lines will be next although there not as bad as older body style. Last those trucks had a channel where the salt and rocks get in between the rear wheel well and inner layer and rust from there, that’s why you see all the fender flares.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Not a move I would make…
    The list of repairs coming up is endless.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m with Grouse. That seems like a lot even with the crazy market. Is this something you NEED, or just WANT? I’d take a hard look at the reason you’re interested in buying before going much further. If you come to the conclusion that it is clearly a WANT, I’d adjust my offer accordingly.

On an unrelated tangent: A neighbor of mine was “pumped” to sell his 2018 loaded Ram for $12k more than he paid for it. He sold it back to the dealership, paid off his loan, and pocketed his equity amount. Once factoring in payments he had made to get to that point of equity…his overall net profit was somewhere in the $7k range. Unfortunately for him he completely overlooked the inflated prices he would be paying to replace the truck in a Covid era. He was truckless for ~6 months sharing an SUV with his wife before buying a beater that has nickel and dimed him. He has finally admitted his mistake and bit the bullet on the waiting list of a new Ram, having burnt up his little “profit” and then some along with the opportunity costs of being truckless still to this day.

CaptainMusky

I guess that’s where we are with new costing upwards of 50k now, if of course, you could get a new one at all, which you can’t.

This is where I was at. I have been looking at trading since April and any time a truck came in that I would consider it was sold within hours or already spoken for. I thought about reserving one, but then they released the 22 Silverado “refreshed” interior images and I am going to order a 22 when they become available. I sold my 2018 with 43k miles on it for $4K less than I paid for it 3 years ago. So I am just biding my time until I can order the new one and walking away with a wad of cash and no pmt for several month AND not having to buy tabs which just expired and new tires.

Jensen

Thanks guys I got him to come down but I think I’m going to pass on it after all your advice.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>
    I guess that’s where we are with new costing upwards of 50k now, if of course, you could get a new one at all, which you can’t.

This is where I was at. I have been looking at trading since April and any time a truck came in that I would consider it was sold within hours or already spoken for. I thought about reserving one, but then they released the 22 Silverado “refreshed” interior images and I am going to order a 22 when they become available. I sold my 2018 with 43k miles on it for $4K less than I paid for it 3 years ago. So I am just biding my time until I can order the new one and walking away with a wad of cash and no pmt for several month AND not having to buy tabs which just expired and new tires.

Was just at my dealer. He explained it to me like this. Just so you understand the 2022 refresh is 2021 models with parts that came in at a later date. The true 2022 won’t be released until mid summer next year. He has a bunch of 2021’s coming in next month followed by a load of 2022 refresh models. I asked what he has been doing the last 12 months and he said selling pieces of paper.😂

Jensen

Called another dealer that had a Silverado 2013 for 21k. Went to test drive it, issue one wouldn’t start they had to jump start it. Took it out for a spin strong smell then check engine light starts flashing. Needless to say I passed on this vehicle even though they told me it had been thoroughly checked before I arrived.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve bought and sold a lot of trucks with 250-600k miles. (All diesels). I see 80k on a gasser as about 1/3 of the life expectancy.

As mentioned above, when you get to that 250-325k miles expect repairs based on wear. I look up costs to replace steering components, wheel bearings, u-joints and so on and figure a reasonable amount to what I will spend on repairs in the very near future. Deduct that off a fair price and see where I’m at. If I get a deal that justify the repairs, it’s a go. If it’s over priced , let it go

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Called another dealer that had a Silverado 2013 for 21k. Went to test drive it, issue one wouldn’t start they had to jump start it. Took it out for a spin strong smell then check engine light starts flashing. Needless to say I passed on this vehicle even though they told me it had been thoroughly checked before I arrived.

Thats what they all say

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.