Buying a damaged boat

• hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

Found a deal on a 2020 model boat that was backed into in the parking lot of the dealership and got a 3 inch dent on the back corner of the boat. Its being sent back to the manufacturer for repairs. Is this something to avoid or worth the savings?

Attachments:
    1. 20200910_203338.jpg

munchy
    NULL

I’d say depends how well they can fix it, how much of a discount, and if it will still have the factory warranty.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

By “dent” I assume it’s aluminum. Arch for loose rivets and leaks

Deuces

My boats been run into docks, rocks, sandbars, poles, and close to 75′ cottonwood fell on it entirely, 3″ dent? Those are rookie numbers bud.

Mine is an older all welded crestliner tho, just don’t make em like they used to. Couple newer boats next to mine with the tree folded up like cardboard.

I’d be curious with the warranty as well. Good luck with your decision waytogo

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

My neighbor bought a Crstliner FishHawk that was damaged in similar manner at the dealership. It was sent to Crestliner for repair. He’s had it a couple years now and the area that was damaged is still good. I wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger on it.

Dave maze
    Isanti

if you buy it pre dented the next ten won’t hurt so bad!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I was wondering it Mr. Beads was selling his boat but I guess not. Make sure to test drive it and look for leaks. At one point in time most boats will get some battle scars.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My boat has dents. I consider them battle scars. Gives it good character

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

From the picture it looks like you just need some flex seal and you will be golden

munchy
    NULL

My boat has dents. I consider them battle scars. Gives it good character

My Lund has the ultimate battle scar. It was an insurance salvage that sideswiped a schoolbus in a parking lot. The port side was pushed in a good foot or more. Had a bodyguy we knew pound it out and repaint, I replaced everything else inside. Have had it over 20 years and still does the job.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

From the picture it looks like you just need some flex seal and you will be golden

rotflol rotflol Shoot a cannonball through the hull!

Deuces

This could be a great idea for a new thread, “let’s see your boat scars”
    peace peace

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Mine doesn’t maybe sparkle like she once did or ride quite as smooth, but it works for me. I still haven’t gotten around to buffing out a few of the nicks at the bow… maybe someday.

Attachments:
    1. 47B64827-00A5-4E5C-B7F8-D1C45FA4E479.jpeg

Cody Meyers

That shouldn’t affect the ride when you are on plane I wouldn’t think.

Karry Kyllo

Mine doesn’t maybe sparkle like she once did or ride quite as smooth, but it works for me. I still haven’t gotten around to buffing out a few of the nicks at the bow… maybe someday.

I recognize that boat. One woman was killed and three others were injured, one of which with a severe brain injury in the accident that damaged the boat if I remember correctly. I believe that the driver, convicted of manslaughter and three other felonies for the accident, was drunk and hit a tree in Devils Lake at night. Attached are two photos of the accident scene.

Attachments:
    1. tree.jpg

2. image.jpg

jwellsy

I’d call that personality. You could have several versions of grand stories on how it happened.

On a fall fishing & camping trip on a remote part of Red Lake Ontario just a couple of years ago, early one morning went down to the lake to warm up the 4 stroke motor. Nearby, a huge love lorn bull moose heard that low rumble of the outboard and came ripping out of the brush and started …..

or

It may have happened that time you saved the Swedish Bikini Team from going over the spillway and you had to tow them away from it with only a short dock line.

or

….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.