Bulldawgs Rolling?

• Sam Smith

I bought a sweet new pounder pro dawg that I couldn’t wait to throw around and when I started fishing it I noticed on a pull/jerk pause retrieve, it would just roll and eventually come up to the surface instead of the downward diving action I thought it was supposed to have. I’ve fished quite a few other bulldawgs and haven’t had this issue, but this is the first pro dawg I’ve tried. Maybe this is just a unique action to the pro dawg and I’m fishing it wrong, or if not, I’m wondering if there is somehow I can adjust the weighting system or fix the issue so I didn’t just buy a 30 dollar wall ornament? Any thoughts or help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jpb70

Not all Bulldogs are created equal. I would return it. Look for very little wire hanging out the bottom were the hooks and split rings attach some have up to a inch of wire hanging out. I also have had far better luck with the UV dogs.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

they are adjustable check to see if the body is bent left or right
    then make sure that the head is bent slightly down the wire frame allows for adjustment like that

BrianF

The Pro dawgs are not as adjustable as the other bulldawg models as the jointed harness is different. Not sure why some pro dawgs roll up like that, but I suspect that warped fins on the side and top of the bait could be altering how the bait orients itself when pulled. Don’t know for sure. You might try a larger, heavier hook on the belly. I’ve gone to hooks as large as 10/0 there to try to straighten them out and it works to some degree. Certainly makes them dive deeper on the pull. However, guys I know and respect as musky anglers are using the Musky Innovations Heavy Head weighting system and really like them. That should correct the problem. Go with the heaviest model available for the Pounder. At their recommendation, I’ve bought some myself and intend to use them next time out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.