Building an Outboard motor stand

• Charles

Well is cold, so I thought I might as well get some ideas to build a motor stand.

03′ Mercury, 125hp, The weight is around 550lb give or take.

So here is my first idea, I want to make sure this will support the weight and be safe.

The bottom runners will be 4×4 3′, 2 feet behind and 1 feet in front.
    The Height, 4×4 3′(Will change once I decide it) notched 1″ into the bottom runners

1×12 motor mounting plate (width is to be determined once I measure the engine hoist). 2×4 side supports and one behind the upper legs, then 3/4″side plates.

Glue, lag and screwed. Casters later on.

Ah that good?

Attachments:
    1. stand.jpg

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Well if your buying a 4×4 eight feet long why not use it all. Two by two or maybe two and a half by one and a half, on each side that’s a big motor to have tip over.

Charles

Well if your buying a 4×4 eight feet long why not use it all. Two by two or maybe two and a half by one and a half, on each side that’s a big motor to have tip over.

proably going to end up doing that, working on rev2 now.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Why in the world are you putting a 125 hp motor on a stand?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’d notch the uprights to accept the thickness of the 1×12 board. That way the motor weight is bearing down on the notch in the uprights and not depending on fasteners to hold the weight. The fasteners only need to hold the 1×12 in position.

Charles

Transom Rebuild, don’t really want it hanging on engine hoist while I am doing this.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

1 x 12 motor mount seems a bit light.
    I would say 2×12 with a 2×4 trimmer under each side of that motor mount.

I would run your diagonal braces so the long points are on the top to hit more meat

I wouldn’t notch the uprights, I would sandwich them in with a 2×4 on either side.

Adhesive is a good addition.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

Transom Rebuild, don’t really want it hanging on engine hoist while I am doing this.

Run 2 or 4 eye bolt lags into the studs on your garage wall. Set a 2×4 on the floor. Set the scag on the 2×4 and ratchet strap the motor to the garage wall.

Charles

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charles wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

Run 2 or 4 eye bolt lags into the studs on your garage wall. Set a 2×4 on the floor. Set the scag on the 2×4 and ratchet strap the motor to the garage wall.

Huh LOL I have really thought about doing it that way LOL

Been a crazy busy week.

So here is rev 2 but I like the idea of just bolting to wall.

Attachments:
    1. stand2.jpg

Charles

Ah just thinking out-loud I have to test this but do you think I am going to be able to get an engine hoist close enough to the wall to bolt motor to it?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Absolutely. 2 or 3 guys can move that puppy anywhere you want to go.

Charles

Yeah good plan thanks dutchboy, I know what I am doing when it ever it warms up.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Pop the hood. You might have a lifting ring on top. After strapping it to the wall you can always chain it from the lifting ring to a rafter to make super sure it can’t tip if you are concerned.

djshannon
    Crosslake

Here is a plan for a great stand.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/272755-building-an-o-b-motor-stand-instructional

I built one of these, used it for my 60 hp Merc. Added an arm for the controls. Test run the motor on muffs. Rolled the motor all over my shop. I made some modifications, made it a little taller and wider. Worked great, could of easily handles a 125.

djshannon
    Crosslake

When I was done with the stand I sold it on Craigslist for $50 and recovered some of the cost.

djshannon
    Crosslake

Here is the best thing to pick your motor off the transom.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outboard-Mercury-Mariner-Flywheel-puller-Lift-Ring-Eye-Bushing-Tools/271566385222?hash=item3f3a9e3046:g:WmYAAOxyZw5RZnT0:rk:1:pf:0

It is a flywheel puller and lifting eye.

I used this with a tall A ladder and a home made wood I beam with a block and tackle to lift my 60 hp Merc off my transom.

One man, safe, and very little effort. Slid boat out of the way and lowered it onto my home made motor stand.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.