BUBBA OR RAPALA R12?

• joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Looking at these 2 lithium fillet knives for Xmas gift ideas…

Any direct comparisons or complaints?

Gregg Gunter

I love my Bubba. Lithium batteries last as long as I need them. Four different size blades. Room in the case for a fillet knife and stone. Ergonomic design is comfortable. No complaints

Coletrain27

check out youtube. it seems like the R12 is favored better to me. i dont own either but was looking at buying one myself

B-man

No experience with the new Rapala R12, but can attest the new Bubba Brushless Pro is 20,000 times better than my original Rapala Lithium Ion. My only complaint is the handle is a bit big.

I would hope the R12 is much improved over their first lithium version.

rjohnson8404

Bubba with the mister twister blades

Gregg Gunter

The Bubba handle is a bit big. I like the soft grip because it’s not slippery. I gave my Mister Twister to a fellow IDOer. Hope it’s working out!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

The bubba is a sweet knife I’ve used it

AK Guy

I have the Bubba and love it. 4 blades and the batteries last a long time.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

No experience with the new Rapala R12, but can attest the new Bubba Brushless Pro is 20,000 times better than my original Rapala Lithium Ion. My only complaint is the handle is a bit big.

I would hope the R12 is much improved over their first lithium version.

All of this X2. I just switched this summer from the Rapala Lithium Ion to the Bubba. Aside from the large handle, really enjoying it. Just took a little getting used to.

Mike Johnson

I have owned the R12 for 2 years and love it. It is night and day better then the original lithium.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I have the Rapala R12 and it’s the best I’ve used.

Here’s a YouTube review of several electric fillet knifes and this one prefers the R12 over the Bubba.

B-man

I have the Rapala R12 and it’s the best I’ve used.

Here’s a YouTube review of several electric fillet knifes and this one prefers the R12 over the Bubba.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Rapala R12HD vs Bubba Blade vs American Angler Pro – Whats the Best Electric Fillet Knife?” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/sY0HRiJwR60?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

That video is comparing the first version (non-brushless) Bubba to the brushless R12.

Not really a fair comparison.

It would be nice to see an apples to apples video against the Pro Series Brushless Bubba.

From their website comparing their own brushed and brushless model.

The PRO SERIES ELECTRIC FILLET KNIFE has been designed to meet the requirements of the hardcore angler, by developing the leading power and performance technology in the industry for unparalleled cutting efficiency. The Pro Series EFK is constructed with a state of the art, brushless motor to deliver 21% more torque, 22% more motor efficiency and up to 100% more power, making the Pro Series cordless EFK the most powerful electric fillet knife on the market. It Features out 7″ E-Flex, 9″ E-Stiff along with our iconic non-slip grip. The Pro Series also comes with 2 batteries for long-lasting cutting capabilities. The Magnum Battery is sold separately and can be added for more power and runtime. The best really did get better. Cut like a pro with the PRO SERIES ELECTRIC FILLET KNIFE.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

I used the older bubba and new R12 rapala. After using a buddies rapala I bought one the next day. It is easily the most powerful electric knife I have used. I would guess I can clean 150+ perch on a single battery.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My buddy runs a charter on Superior and runs a R12 since they came out, he raves about it and has run it thru more fish than most. Neither of us have used the Bubba I don’t think.

Hoyt4
    NULL

R12 ,used last winter with comparison using the bubba for a few fish. I was looking at replacing my older RAP lithium knife. The R12 was better in from using them together.

Umy
    South Metro

I have only used my Rapala.
    LONG runtime, plenty of power
    I have big hands but it fits nicely in them so maybe smaller hands….??
    Sharp as a tack and I have extra set of blades just in case.
    Small enough with carrying case that it’s easy to bring with.
    No complaints. Would buy another tomorrow.

CaptainMusky

I havent used the new R12, but the Bubba I have is pretty dang sweet. I would see no reason to switch to the R12 after using this for a few seasons. If this thing ever wears out I will consider it then. Thankfully Rapala improved it over the older lithium since that thing was junk. Mine never let me down, but several buddies had nothing but problems with theirs.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I have both. I have had the Rapala for a few years and last christmas got the bubba as a gift and have used it one time. I don’t care for it at all. I think the handle is big as others have mentioned, the trigger is less than responsive unless pressed just right, and I do not care for the blades. I’ll take my Rapala hands down

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I can understand the “bubba with Twister blades” comment. Those skinny blades don’t run along the backbone for me, they want to go thru it. Not because they’re sharper, just to skinny to rest the blade on the backbone. I have the Rapala and hate it! If near electricity the good Twister (Pirahana) is my choice.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Thanks for all the input… sounds like both brushless options are solid… no wrong choice.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.