sat / brushy creek

• fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I fished with Brushy on saturday morning and stayed till 1 pm. I caught 3 good sized crappies and 4 sunfish that were around 8 inches long. The rest of the fish caught were small. There was at least 6 inches of ice in most spots we fished on the north end. Most of the fish would come in and look but not bite. Any other reports from the holiday weekend?

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I also fished sat. I fished from about 6:30 am until 3:00 pm and managed 6 nice crappies and 23 gills over 8″. I also caught a lot of small gills, but switching to a bigger jig seamed to cut down on them. Also went back on Monday the 26th and fished only for crappies. I took home 18 crappies 7 gills and 2 perch. 8 of these crappies were 1 pound or bigger with the rest about 3/4 pound. This was my best day ice fishing crappies on Brushy.

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

I fished monday at Brushy from 3-8 and only got 2 fish. One dink crappie and one 11 incher. LOTS of people there, 63 cars in the north ramp.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Fished Brushy Wed. and overall it was pretty slow took home 8 crappies 4 gills and 1 perch. Two of the crappies were 14″ and weighed close to 2 pounds. The rest were 10-11″ fish. After 10 am I only caught 1 keeper fish until I left at 3pm.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Sauger assassin, those are some nice slabberoos! I knew they were still in there. I wish I could have found a couple that nice last weekend. It seems there are all sizes of crappies in there which is good. Hopefully they keep going strong. Have all of your bluegills had the pepper in them?

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

If I can figure out this pic thing I’ll post a pic. Yeah most of the gills have either the pepper or the grubs in them. I don’t worry about it though they still taste just fine. The DNR says the waterfowl bring them in and there is no way to get rid of the little white grubs. I’ll be back over sunday looking for some more. I know there are even bigger ones in there.

timbergrit
    Raymond, Iowa

After all this warm weather we’ve been having, hows the ice look.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

I was out yesterday and the ice is still pretty good. The only place I would stay way from is the far south end. I was on 8 inches out from the west baot ramp.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I fished today and there was open water down by the beach, but the rest of the ice is holding up great. Might want to ware some scratchers on your boots though it’s pretty slick. Other spots you would want to watch is out of the points of the fishing jetties. For some reason they don’t freeze too well. also only caught one fish worth keeping today and that was a 10 inch crappie.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.