anything biting at brushy??

• huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Anybody know if anything is happening at Brushy yet. Never fished it , would like to try it ASAP. Thanks in advance??

Marc

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Things are pretty slow right now. They have been picking up a very few eyes on the south end of the lake but VERY FEW. The crappies haven’t moved into the shallows yet that I have heard of. We need a bit more warm weather then things ought to pick up if I here of anything I will post.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I’d imagine Brushy would be slow to turn on since it’s so deep. I haven’t heard anything, but I’m going elsewhere until we get a few 70 degree days. It’s a great lake so definitely try it. Good luck.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Stopped at Brushy for a bit last night. The water is still really dirty on the North end of the lake. Nothing was interested in my offering. I heard they have been getting some nice largemouth not sure where on the lake though. I also heard a guy at work caught a 41 inch Muskie took it home and had it for supper

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

I have heard of a few eyes being caught off of the rock jetty’s around the lake. Throwing a white twister seems to be the bait of choice at this time. The crappie’s are still hard to come by. Largemouth a biting well guys fishing eyes are catching quite a few. If I hear anything new I well post.

Good luck all Todd.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I’ve heard about the same. One guy I know fished Brushy last Tuesday and picked up some good sized crappies, just not many. I’ve waited as long as I can, I’m going there this weekend, hope that warm weather we’re supposed to get turns them on.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

The gills bite is excellent at Brushy as of yesterday. They are in tight to shore back in the bays. The largemouth bite is also excellent they wouldn’t leave my leeches alone. Couldn’t get a eye to hit but didn’t stay to late either. The bass were anywhere from 12-13 inches up to a couple around 4 lbs. I have heard that the eyes are moving in at dark and after of the rock jetties. Try a leech under a lited slip bobber.

Good Luck all Todd.

He’s a picture of my fishing partner with the biggest bass he’s ever caught. We brought it home for some picture’s then put him in my local pond. The little guy was thrilled!!

clay
    Kansas City, Mo

Todd, sounds and looks like you had a great time! I am planning on going up either Friday night or Sat. night. Heard anything on the crappies? Any size to the gills?

Clay

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Clay the gill are pretty decent I got one monster 10 incher the rest were 8-9. As far as crappie I haven’t heard a thing they are hard to come by. The crappie action has been real good a Don Williams. We were down there 2 sat.’s ago and got a few. A friend of mine and his brother got a bunch at dark and just after dark.

Good luck where ever you go Todd.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Clay also the docks are about a foot under water as of yesterday. With more rain tonight might need waders just to get you boat out.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I’m sure thankful for you guys and your reports. The Duncombe bait shop guy told me crappies were on when I called him last week. Good thing I didn’t run over there. It might have been another humbling experience for me. I’m going to hit them Saturday, come Hell or high water. The crappies have to turn on soon don’t they? Keep the reports coming. I’m looking at my local river and it’s up 2-3 feet overnight.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Well it’s been a few days but I fished Brushy over the weekend with limited sucess. A friend of my brother and is dad both limited on eyes last Sat. mourning. They were using a 1/8 lead head tipped with a half a crawler. I guess they were fishing in 8-10 foot of water twitching the jig on the bottom.

The boy and I gave it a try Sun. mourning for a few hrs. No eyes but he pulled in a couple nice perch and a few gills. I did catch several LM bass dang things won’t leave my leeches and crawlers alone.

If the water clears up I think the fishing will improve. Surface temp is around 70 degrees as of last weekend.

Good luck Todd

jake1962
    Osage

Thinking about heading to Brushy Creek at the end of the week. Wondering, where is the closest bait shop? Also, has anyone been fishing lately? Any luck? Crappies turned on yet? Thanks in advance.

clay
    Kansas City, Mo

Jake, I swung up on Sat. night. Got up there at 7:30 and fished until 9:30. Caught 2 walleyes. 1-18″ and 1-24″. Trolling cranks on the outside of the trees. Haven’t heard on the crappies.
    Duncombe is the closest baitshop. It is 1/2 mile north of Hwy 20 where you turn to go south to the lake. It is a gas and grocery with bait. Good Luck.

Clay

jake1962
    Osage

Clay,

Thanks for the info. I and a friend are going to go there Friday morning. It’s a two hour drive from here in Osage, so I hope it’s worth the effort. I have been there a couple of times in the past, but generally on the ice. I’ll post a report when I return.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Jake,

I’d be interested to know if the bass are on yet? They should be done doing their thing and into the feeding mode by now. Brushy is full of fish, but it’s sometimes hard to fish. I’ve been humbled many times there. Good luck.

jake1962
    Osage

Well, went fishing at Brushy on Friday, June 25. Beautiful weather, tall high pressure, clear blue skies. Ok, you get the idea, the weather did not lend itself to great fishing.

We did catch some smaller bluegills. They were biting close to shore around cover. Hitting a piece of nightcrawler. Would also hit a leech, but you would want a small one.

Caught one 15 inch largemouth bass. Trolling from North to South on old roadbed with lindy rig, floater, nightcrawler. Released the bass. Talked to a guy who was fishing for bass behind the island on the South End. Said it was a great spot in the spring, but the pattern had changed.

We tried several other places including up by the dam. Generally we were trying for walleye or crappie, didn’t see either. I suspect the crappie are suspending in the deeper water and we just couldn’t get them.

There were a number of other fishermen out also, but I saw alot of fishing and not alot of catching.

Duncombe Gas and Grocery is a good place to get bait, lake maps, and fishing reports. Thanks.

clay
    Kansas City, Mo

Jake, I went back up on Sat. afternoon for 3 hours with my 12 year old. We boated 10 gills, 1 perch and 3 bass. Everyone I talked to said the same. SLOW! Of course I was there right in the middle of the day. Always have better luck toward dark. Still have yet to hear of any crappies on a consistant basis. Good Luck if you come back over. Clay

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Hey, I’m the exception this time. Caught 25 good bass Saturday from about 9 to 5. Wish I could call that a workday. Bass were in 1 spot and 1 spot only. They were up close to shore cruising when I started, then they moved deep under the trees etc. by 11 and were up cruising by 5 when I had to leave. Saw lots of big gills cruising and hovering near cover. Had several big gills act like bass, nipping my powerworm way down in the bottom of the trees. Don’t know how I’d tell you to fish them that deep. The first circle they’d make would have you around a limb. It’s a tough place to fish no doubt about it. All the easily accessable shorelines were pretty worthless.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Fished Brushy last evening with a friend for a few hrs. We caught alot of small eyes 9-10 inches on a leech pulled across the bottom in 8 feet of water. Moved to a rocky point about 9:30. My buddie know sooner threw out a slip bobber and leech about 6 foot deep and down she went. Ended up being a 21 inch eye the only keeper we caught. Might take the youngster down later for some panfish action.

clay
    Kansas City, Mo

Hey Todd,
    I was up there Sat. morning (4:30). Trolled the dam for an hour with no luck, so I headed up toward the north end. From 7-8 we caught 6 walleyes and lost 3 more on the way to the boat. Also had 2 follows right next to the boat. All were 20-22″. Then like a light switch, they stopped biting. Tried leeches on a slip bobber with various depths, with NO luck. Everything was on cranks.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.