Broken trolling motor shaft.

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Split the shaft on my Minnkota trolling motor. A log ran into it. Wondering how difficult it is to install a new shaft or a good place to have it fixed. One year old Terrova with 48″ shaft. Rough ideas on cost?

Thanks.

blank

If it’s one year old, what about a warranty? They also advertise:

“Indestructible Composite Shaft — Guaranteed for Life: At the core of your Minn Kota trolling motor is an indestructable composite shaft. It’s a Minn Kota exclusive, and we guarantee it for life.”

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

My buddy and I replaced the shaft on my xi5. Heat it up really good to break the seal where it turns into the motor. If you’re lucky it might turn out. Make sure the threads are perfectly clean before installing new shaft. Oh and loctite too don’t forget that. It really wasn’t that bad.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

It was indestructible right up to the point where it broke.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

That should be warranty.

mike mulhern

I just gotta ask How fast was that log going when it “ran into you” Did you you get a species identification on it? Was it a white oak or possibly a red oak, Basswood are notorious for hit and run. I run across more pine and tammarack round here. Just trying to be helpful. I did try to move a rock at 3 mph in canada with my kicker but it bent and never broke the minnkota shaft on the front. But if breaking things is a Mike thing I understand.

Mike

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Capra’s is a authorized repair center I think. I’m not sure if they are open due to the virus, better call first.

reddog

When I broke my terrova 60 inch. They sent me the shaft and the lower case together. Just had to have the service center put it together.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Fishlectronics will take care if it. Off university ave new Brighton I think. Service shop hummingbird lowrance and minnkota.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Mike, I broke one right where is connected to the lower unit. I disconnected everything, cut the shaft with a hacksaw, used some kind of “waterproof epoxy” to put it back together and ran it for two years until I sold it. It turned the 60” shaft into a 57” but otherwise no big deal. When I called motor clinic back then they told me I could only get the shaft already connected to the lower unit so it wasn’t cheap. If yours broke in the middle I’d just have the shop make the repair because it was a pain in the neck.

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

Hope someone has one is stock as Minn Kota in Mankato is closed.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

It was the upper part of the shaft that split length ways.

reddog

It was the upper part of the shaft that split length ways.

Mine sounded like a shotgun when it exploded. I was going about 3 mph when I hit a stump in 9 fow.

mojogunter

Bring it to fishlectronics. They will take care of you. I wouldn’t bring anything to capra’s, but that is just me.

zooks

Have also had good luck with FishLectronics on University, nice guys to work with.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Mike, I had bent the heck out of a shaft and J/O covered it under warranty

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Motor Clinic in Bloomington.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Motor Clinic has treated me well multiple times.

tim hurley

Breaking a trolling motor shaft, sorry for the hassle and expense, still gotta say ‘rock and roll’ Mike, not easy to break one of those, about the only thing I have’nt broke (knock on wood)
    Good Luck

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

This should be covered under warranty. the only reason I did mine myself was because there really isn’t any motor guide authorized service places in Wisconsin. I would’ve had to send it to the cities to get fixed.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Breaking a trolling motor shaft, sorry for the hassle and expense, still gotta say ‘rock and roll’ Mike, not easy to break one of those, about the only thing I have’nt broke (knock on wood)
    Good Luck

Thanks Tim. I laughed it off pretty good, turned around and kept fishing. My next two fish where 27.5″ and 28.5″ walleyes.

tim hurley

Your gettin’ into spots chickens like me won’t go. Nice fish.

milemark_714

This should be covered under warranty. the only reason I did mine myself was because there really isn’t any motor guide authorized service places in Wisconsin. I would’ve had to send it to the cities to get fixed.

MG told me to send it to Warner’s in New Richmond,pay for shipping,diagnostic fee and?
    That would have cost the same as just replacing the part myself,but they would not send me the part and I would send them the old part(GPS module).

Denny O
    Central IOWA

What did you find out today on the warranty Mike?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

To busy catching up on work today. Most likely wo t get a chance to call about it til later this week.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

These warranty repair centers will be glad to have the business.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Update.

My trolling motor has been at Fishelectronics for a week now. No idea when it will get fixed as Minnkota is not shipping parts. Looks like Im going to be a cat fishermen for a while this spring.

Iowaboy1

Mike,I havent installed my new terrova yet,been too busy at work,if it will help you out you can borrow it until yours comes back.
    55lb thrust,12 volt,54″ shaft

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

Any update on how you fixed the shaft? I just did the same thing, sucks! Did the warranty cover it or what did it cost? What about insurance?

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

FYI, I just had a 60″ shaft, 101 thrust motor with universal sonar shipped from Minnkota overnight air to the owner’s house (in Ely) of the resort (Big Lake Wilderness Lodge) we are staying about 20 miles north of Ely, MN. The total cost was $623: $503 plus tax plus $77 for overnight air (it was $18 for standard shipping), an extra $59 and I get to use my trolling motor for the rest of the week)! It was an easy swap with minimal tools!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.