Broken K-Drill

• Bryan Shelton

I purchased a K-Drill yesterday at a local bait shop. Went out today and after about 4 holes of about 24″ of ice one of the propellers broke off. The bait shop is out of them of course. I sent K-Drill an email. Do you guys think they will replace it?
    The owner of the bait shop thought they would. He told me to call him back if they don’t and he would help me.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

They are part of or affiliated with Vexilar. I would expect their customer service to be as fantastic as Vexilars! IMHO

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

They are part of or affiliated with Vexilar. I would expect their customer service to be as fantastic as Vexilars! IMHO

x2!!!

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Junk plastic. I had the same thing happen, went to Ion X and haven’t looked back.

404 ERROR
    MN

They will replace the broken flighting 100%, just give them a call. You can also buy replacement flighting sections off their website, Something that’s impossible with every other auger made. I have a Nils bit in my garage that I junked because the flighting was bent and cracked in a couple spots. Sure wish I could pop that section off and replace it…

turkeynate
    Iowa

How does that even happen? Did the auger bind in the hole and you had to wiggle it free? I’ve had my K drill 3 years now. Never had any issues with it knock on wood… They will get it fixed up for you.

Do you have pics of it?

wormdunker

How does that even happen? Did the auger bind in the hole and you had to wiggle it free? I’ve had my K drill 3 years now. Never had any issues with it knock on wood… They will get it fixed up for you.

Do you have pics of it?

I am with you, cant see how it can happen. Going on 4 years with my Kdrill, never a problem.

404 ERROR
    MN

I am with you, cant see how it can happen. Going on 4 years with my Kdrill, never a problem.

It’s plastic, i’m sure it was a manufacturers defect that caused the breakage. If you aren’t familiar with the injection molding process, if there is a little bit of moisture in the plastic when it’s injection into the mold cavity, it can cause a splay line. Those splay lines, when in the perfect spot, can affect the integrity of the part. It very well could have been user negligence, but mfg defect is something to consider. In either case, they will replace it, no questions asked.

Bryan Shelton

Here are pictures. And yes.. I HAVE emailed the company. I haven’t heard back yet. I may give them a call today.

I’m not bashing K-Drill at all. poop happens. Everyone I talk to that has hem love them. That’s why I bought it.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1958.jpg

2. IMG_1957.jpg

Bryan Shelton

I was asking if anyone had thoughts of the outcome… right now it’s not an issue. But an expensive auger broke during the first use. I’m sure a lot of guys on here have them, and they do. Guys chimed in saying they have never had any issue which is awesome. K-Drill seems like a great product and I was not bashing them. I get poop happens and I could have gotten a bad one.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I just drilled through about 26″ of ice with mine this weekend multiple times with holes overlapped sight-fishing jumbo perch. Although the thickness of the ice was less than ideal for that situation, I never felt like the auger was going to break. I’m curious as to the story behind what lead to the auger breaking.

Bryan Shelton

I just got off the phone with K-Drill. They are shipping a new part out. Good customer service.

The story…
    I was on about 25″ of ice. I was drilling my second hole. I was about an inch or two done and one of the first pieces broke off. I was a little shocked and disappointed. I am happy with there service and hopeful it was a fluke.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I just got off the phone with K-Drill. They are shipping a new part out. Good customer service.

The story…
    I was on about 25″ of ice. I was drilling my second hole. I was about an inch or two done and one of the first pieces broke off. I was a little shocked and disappointed. I am happy with there service and hopeful it was a fluke.

I think you most likely got a defective unit. I’ve drilled a TON of holes this year with mine and not had one issue. I did say to my buddy this weekend while we were putting both his and my Krill into the back of the Truck that I was shocked that the material used in the Krill held up so well to the elements it was used in. Glad they were able to resolve the issue for you. Hopefully it the only issue you end up having with it. Its a Bummer that you had a issue before getting to find out what a truly great product it is.

Bryan Shelton

Im hopefully it was a defect. Honestly this past weekend is probably the most extreme conditions I will have it in. It was probably below zero with wind chill and over 2 feet off ice. I’m happy with how they took care of the issue and I am looking forward to using it!

404 ERROR
    MN

Im hopefully it was a defect. Honestly this past weekend is probably the most extreme conditions I will have it in. It was probably below zero with wind chill and over 2 feet off ice. I’m happy with how they took care of the issue and I am looking forward to using it!

You should examine the broken flighting for splay lines. They will be lighter colored streaks within the plastic, a disruption in the solid color of the material. If you find them, you most likely found the culprit.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

Glad they’re taking care of you Bryan. Saw your post on the other site to.

Bryan Shelton

Glad they’re taking care of you Bryan. Saw your post on the other site to.

They have been fantastic.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You guys are making a lot of work for me this week. I think we all need a hug.

Bryan Shelton

The part arrived today over lunch. 24 hours after speaking on the phone! ????????????????

Bryan Shelton

Not sure why my thumps up turned into ? But I’m happy with the service!

Bryan Shelton

I thought I would send an update on my repair. I put the new piece on this afternoon. Super easy process. As good as new.
    I might buy a few replacement pieces and have at the house just in case.

milemark_714

I got three for spares,and a set of blades.Just in case.That was 3 years ago.

Bryan Shelton

Have you had to change the blades or send them in for sharpening yet?

milemark_714

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>milemark_714 wrote:</div>

Have you had to change the blades or send them in for sharpening yet?

Nope,still cuts like it did when new.K-drill is not fast or efficient,but very forgiving.Sandy ice or stuff froze into ice does not phase it.Plus it seems to leave the bottom of hole pretty clean.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.