British Lab Pups 2015

• rivy2112
    Minnesota

Hello All,

I am trying to get ahead of any curve that there may be as far as finding a pup in the spring. What I am looking for is either a black or Fox Red female lab. And if it was possible I would prefer a British lab compared to a American lab, as I like the more submissive mannerisms and I would like her to be under 70# full grown.

I have looked through a bunch of kennels online within 2.5 hours of the twin cities metro and would like to know where some of you have looked and what you thought of said kennel. My intentions are to go and visit some kennels that are to my liking and ones that I have heard good things from, problem is no kennel’s site will tell you cons from their customers. So I would hope I could get both pros and cons on here.

Thanks in advance for any input and feel free to PM me.

brad-o
    Mankato

Prairie Marsh Kennels in SW Minnesota. Great dogs and trainers. Mark or Larry

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Just answered your PM. Good luck! RR

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Contact Craig Klein at Fischer’s Kennels & Hunt Club in Albany. Craig bought the operation from Pete Fischer a few years ago when Pete retired, but Pete is still active in the training operation there.

The best hunting dog I’ve ever seen was a British lab trained out of there. I’m not sure of the exact story of how the pup was acquired, if it was a pup they helped find for the owner or if it came from a litter at that kennel or what. You’d have to ask Craig about their particular affiliation with British labs.

As many kennels and trainers will likely tell you, there are plenty of good bloodlines and pups out there. The main difference is in the quality of the training.

You are wise to begin the search now.

Grouse

rivy2112
    Minnesota

Thanks for the comments so far, keep them coming!

My dad’s and brother-in-law’s dogs were both trained through Dokken and being that I will hunt 90% of the time with one of them two, I think it would be easier if the dogs all understand same commands that have same meaning.

(Opinions on this train of thought are encouraged)

At the very least I am trying bring the pup home around the time the snow is done accumulating in order to make house breaking more comfortable and in order to spend as much outside time with her as possible.

Would those of you who have brought home pup in middle of winter wish you would have waited for less/no snow?

Thanks again for all comments and suggestions!

Larry McDonald

If you are looking for a submissive dog, look to it’s trainer. I personally would rather have a family oriented dog at home that is a little aggressive in the field. The last thing I want is to shoot a bird and have the dog go to retrieve it and back down to another dog. I have had Brittany spaniels stand their ground against labs and bring back my bird. Instead of all dogs being trained to same commands, confusion follows. Your dog will try to hear your voice so you are better off with your own commands. If he is trained right you probably won’t get him to hunt for someone else unless you are there

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m not sure “submissive” is the word I’d use to describe the British lab.

It’s more a mild, calm temperament. In other words, they aren’t so damn hyper like you find in so many “American” labs. Gawwwd, the number of labs I’ve seen that needed to be run through thick cattails for a mile so they weren’t so damn hyper. After you ground them down, they were perfect dogs, but that uncontrollable hyperness.

Well, the British labs are nice and calm all the time. They just have that “easy does it” nature to them, but the two BLs that I hunted with the most had incredible hunting drive and their “dead bird” finding powers were second to none. Winged birds that dug in were hunted down with incredible efficiency.

That doesn’t mean they won’t be rather fierce in some situations. I remember one British lab in particular that had it in for a male lab that belonged to my uncle. Whatever that male did (!), that little British female didn’t like it and wouldn’t forget it. She went straight after him every time and wouldn’t quit until she knew that he knew that she was the boss. He was the only dog on her sh!t list, she was perfectly fine with other dogs.

Grouse

folke2000

Last year at this time, I got my Black Lab male from KT British Labs in Elbow Lake MN. I looked at British Labradors dot com (Dennis and Janice Anderson) and found that the waiting list was over a year. Royalty British Kennels up in Milaca also had great dogs, and really market an on-going relationship with the breeder / trainer which was appealing. Unfortunately, my wife just didn’t like the breeder’s personality as it didn’t fit.

I can say that I am very happy with our dog from KT British Kennels. Kim is a great no-nonsense kind of guy and is very genuine. The first year of hunting (at about 8 months old) was fantastic. Our dog has a great loving temperment, and a great nose. I would go back to KT and have referred others there.

Good luck in finding your next hunting partner.

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Sundowner retrievers out of Zimmerman have great family/ hunting dogs. Gregg is a really good trainer, I am happy with my female we picked up from them 3 yrs ago. She has turned into a great hunting partner and very quiet house companion for my family with 3 kids who are all under 6 years old.

jaymon
    waldo, WI

I have got two Black labs from Dennis and Janice anderson (Britishlabs.com) and the third on the way. All I can say is it’s worth the wait. Awsome dogs easy to train,great hunters, great looking,and classic UK temperment.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

I had my male Brit for 13 years now got him out of Rough Shooting British Labs out of Stillwater. But I dont think he is in the business anymore. Heis a small guy 55-60 lbs. Before him I had an American Lab that was 90 lbs of solid muscle. I loved them both. But like Grouse states the American was hyper and was like hunting with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

My Brit (Drake) but he also thinks his name is good boy) is living the retired life but in his day he was methodical, controlled, smart, and would not give up. He was not bull headed Great in a duck boat too. I need to start looking for his replacement but love the guy so much and afraid if i brought a pup home my girls will give the new guy all the attention.

I will only get a Brit from a good Kennel

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

I have an 8mo old male, black British lab from Old Oak Retrievers in Blooming Prairie, Mn. Rick knows his British labs. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn’t give Rick a call and drive down to checkout his top notch facilities and dogs. Give me a call if you have questions.

jwellsy

Would a British Labradoodle lose must hunting instincts? We lost our 12 year old yellow American lab last year. Also last year I met my first British Lab. It was a wonderful dog and walked off leash right next to the owner through a crowd of strangers all day long and never once misbehaved or wondered off. The only downside was it still shed like a Lab. So I’ve been thinkin a British Labradoodle may be a good way to go. I mainly waterfowl hunt.

jwellsy

From what I’ve heard, they have to be at least third generation doodles to get the hair that holds on.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I know Cashman Kennels just had a litter last week – blacks and yellows. Not sure if they are all spoken for. The father is Seeker, my dogs father. They go home mid April.

Mine is a super mellow house dog that looks at you sadly at bed time until you fluff his pillow, but when its time to train and hunt the switch is flipped and he’s all about it and then some. He’s 63 lbs and will probably gain a few more. Couldn’t hurt to give them a call.

pass0047
    Pool4

Second Cashman kennels. Hunted behind many of them and never disappointed. If u get a easy going dog make sure your trainer trains to your dog. Seen a lot of softer dogs ruined with hard type of training.

Got my lab in January and I think it sped up house trying because he knew he had to do his business before coming in.

Good luck and I would highly recommend buying a dog you can meet both parents. Personality comes from both of them.

Good luck

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Guys, this post was from 2014.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

OK, that’s pretty funny….. doah

jwellsy

It’s still a great subject.

I’ve never met an Australian Labradoodle, have you guys aver seen one of those in the field? I think those are bred mainly as therapy/service dogs so don’t know if they have enough hunting instinct to flip into game retriever mode.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Perhaps you’d get some responses if you started a thread on doodles.

Personally, they’re not my cup o’ tea.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.