Bringing nightcrawlers into Canada

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Read a recent article in Outdoor news that Canada is not allowing nightcrawlers to be brought accross the border. Does anyone have experience with this? If so will need to figure out a place to get a flat – Fort Frances or Dryden. Anyone done this on a recent trip? This will be my first trip to Canada in 4 years and we have always just brought them with us. Any advice is appreciated.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not sure where you are heading in Canada, but we have never found a need for live bait. All the Canadian places we have fished you can catch all the walleyes you want with a jig and twistertail or paddletail swimbait. I’m sure live bait will make it easier, but I doubt necessary.

dirtywater

No live bait allowed across the border; you can’t even bring frozen/salted minnows right now.

Typically, the no live bait thing has been specific to each Province. For example, Ontario has very specific and detailed rules about importing live bait and another set of rules for their own citizens limiting the movement of bait across certain “zones” (similar to MN rules about moving firewood).

But in this case, I believe this is a federal ban that is designed to speed up border crossing. They don’t have time to inspect your crawlers to make sure they are in legal bedding, etc, so they are just confiscating them and chucking them instead.

I fish the Canadian side of a few border lakes so it’s especially annoying to me that I can’t have crawlers in my boat. I’m not dealing with the CBCSA and gumming up the works in the customs line, but I still have to follow the rules or risk the wrath of the OMR.

duh queen

Bring GULP, it’s cheaper, works better, and lasts longer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.