Fishing Superior? Bring a boat……

• OG Net_Man

I would be tucking a expensive depth finder in my jacket…..

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DeRangedFishinguy wrote:</div>
    I have a buddy that knows 2 of the guys that were out there yesterday. One of them says he estimated he lost around $2k in gear.

That there is one spendy day of fishing!

I’m pretty sure the rescue agency also charges a fee for “saving” them. I have to imagine that isn’t cheap either.

Talked directly to a guy that said there was zero cost to him being rescued. He did however get a small boat to retrieve his vex livescope and tackle. He left his otter on the ice though.

Yeah not sure why people think being rescued you get charged by the agency whether it is Fire Department or coast guard etc. That’s what taxes are for. That is there job is to rescue people. Seams to get thrown around every time someone falls through the ice or gets stranded.
    Now recovering property or getting a car out from bottom of lake is a different story.

tswoboda

No national agencies bill people for SAR, but a few states do. Pretty sure Minnesota is not one of those states, and I don’t know of any municipalities that do. It was the Duluth FD that did the rescue, has anyone ever heard of a fire department sending a bill for their services?

Brad Dimond

There should be a “stupid tax”.

Adam Steffes

Think homeowners would cover the lost gear?

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Im still curious how the bite was? all those people out there and not one word on how the bite was…

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

No idea about an ice rescue but my brother-in-law did get a bill from the FD for responding to his house fire in MN.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

No national agencies bill people for SAR, but a few states do. Pretty sure Minnesota is not one of those states, and I don’t know of any municipalities that do. It was the Duluth FD that did the rescue, has anyone ever heard of a fire department sending a bill for their services?

Our fire dept. sends a bill on a house fire and also for an ambulance ride.

Ripjiggen

Ambulance ride no matter where you live has a fee. But they don’t charge you for showing up and attending to the the emergency at hand. It’s like a cab fair😂
    Yes some cities charge a fee for the fire dept when they show up for a fire. That charge is decided by the city itself and not the Fire dept. It’s defiantly not a bunch of money to show up for a fire. They usually go after the insurance company for this fee. Easy money. Coast guard is federal agency that is put into place to protect and rescue. There is no fee.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Im still curious how the bite was? all those people out there and not one word on how the bite was…

They’ve been catching fish at a pretty constant pace. Couple big ones but I’m sure as hell not risking my life for some greasy Lakers.

Roy

There was a shack back out there fishing this evening, about 12 blocks south of where that crack happened.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gregory wrote:</div>

They’ve been catching fish at a pretty constant pace. Couple big ones but I’m sure as hell not risking my life for some greasy Lakers.

Well at least they were biting! Nothing worse then getting skunked and haven to lose all your stuff… 🤦‍♂️

Gitchi Gummi

There was a shack back out there fishing this evening, about 12 blocks south of where that crack happened.

I was just thinking yesterday with the fresh new sheet of ice that is out there, how long until people start venturing back out… I guess your post answered that – 1 day. There is somebody back out there this morning.

Roy

I just saw that hub shack out there and snapped a pic from work. Still a 10mph west wind….

KP
    Hudson, WI

Maybe I’m dumb or smart whichever way you look at it but there is no way in hell I’d venture out there after seeing what just happened a few days ago.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Maybe I’m dumb or smart whichever way you look at it but there is no way in hell I’d venture out there after seeing what just happened a few days ago.

They save you at no cost plus you’ve got a shot at giant lakers. If I didn’t have my sons to think about I would absolutely be up there.

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.