Fishing Superior? Bring a boat……

• DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

The ice broke away on Superior in Duluth and there is currently a rescue mission occurring.

If/when it locks up again and you decide to risk going out there, tow a boat or canoe with you so you can get back to shore.

Here’s hoping everyone get’s off safely, especially the rescue team!

B-man

Wrong wind to be tempting the big lake today.

I didn’t go today. I’ll leave it at that.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210209-1201442.png

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I think there is an opportunity for some young motivated individual to start a recovery company. (May already exist?) Take these folks back out and retrieve their gear after rescue. Coast Guard rescues people, not stuff…

-J.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’ve read most if not all equipment had since been recovered??

Brad Dimond

Same thing happened at Sturgeon Bay, WI on February 5. 66 anglers were rescued when the wind blew from the west and opened a quarter mile wide channel between the ice flow and main ice pack. It pays to pay attention to the weather, wind as well as temperature.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We have all the technology in the world for the fishing industry (accurate GPS, livescope and 360 imaging, super powerful lithium batteries, float suits, etc) yet we have not found a way to override the brain or lack thereof for many. Why would you go out there with the unfavorable wind? Stupidity or ignorance to the risks should not be acceptable in the year 2021. I hope these people’s rescue costs are an excessive deterrent.

dbright
    Cambridge

I think there is an opportunity for some young motivated individual to start a recovery company. (May already exist?) Take these folks back out and retrieve their gear after rescue. Coast Guard rescues people, not stuff…

-J.

I saw a post from a charter company up there offering their airboat for a fee to recover gear.

ThunderLund78

If you put your car or vehicle through the ice, there’s companies that make good money off of the legally obligated salvage, seems like an obvious extension of that business model. Just have to make sure your price and risk don’t outweigh the value of what you’re retrieving.

Obvioulsy the law makes you pay for the removal of a vehicle, but in situations like this, are you fined if your portable, flasher, chair and a few rods get sacrificed to old Gitchie Gumie on an ice flow?

CC

Always got to pay attention to that wind. A Buddy and I said this morning after seeing the wind anyone out today gonna get rescue later…….. Glad we decided to stay warm.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Holy cow Forrest that is raw

Forrest Melton
    Alexandria, MN

I should have mentioned they are members of the UMD Rod and Gun club. Nice to see them helping out but YIKES that water would be cold!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

There is a landing open up there?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Duluth news reported it was 26 people today.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Mike,
    Pretty easy to slide a boat in with a few guys, rocks can be the tough part some times.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Oh man that looked cold!

Not sure if it will work or not but my son sent me a video of one of his friends using his boat to help get fishing gear off the ice.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

saw a drone video taken last night about 530 there were still about a dozen shacks left on the pack that was breaking up pretty bad.
    Pretty calm this morning but too much lake smoke to tell if how far the pack made it through the night. I’m guessing quite a bit of gear was lost.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

I have a buddy that knows 2 of the guys that were out there yesterday. One of them says he estimated he lost around $2k in gear.

That there is one spendy day of fishing!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have a buddy that knows 2 of the guys that were out there yesterday. One of them says he estimated he lost around $2k in gear.

I’m waiting to see the guy who had a small boat and some time on his hands during the calm winds who is now selling a dozen nice shacks and electronics on Facebook Marketplace…when everyone else assumes the gear was lost to the lake

glenn57
    cold spring mn

yea i seen on the news last night after they got everyone off they did go back and retrieve gear…..not sure how much though!!!!

Charles

So if I brought a boat out and grab all the gear left out, is it fair game? Just asking don’t know the salvage rules,

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’m glad everyone was rescued safely, but what were they thinking with the wind forecast?
    Maybe Dave Koonce can bring his hovercraft up and make some coin!!

munchy
    NULL

I’ve always been curious how effective one would be on rough waters such as Superior.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m pretty sure the rescue agency also charges a fee for “saving” them. I have to imagine that isn’t cheap either.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve always been curious how effective one would be on rough waters such as Superior.

It wouldn’t be effective in rough conditions. At all. Dave’s HC is an amazing backwater buggy but the big lake would eat it alive.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>munchy wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Netguy wrote:</div>

It wouldn’t be effective in rough conditions. At all. Dave’s HC is an amazing backwater buggy but the big lake would eat it alive.

That’s what I figured. But I’ve been wrong once before. whistling

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DeRangedFishinguy wrote:</div>

I’m pretty sure the rescue agency also charges a fee for “saving” them. I have to imagine that isn’t cheap either.

Talked directly to a guy that said there was zero cost to him being rescued. He did however get a small boat to retrieve his vex livescope and tackle. He left his otter on the ice though.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.