Round Lake (next to Gull)

• DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

We used to own a resort on Round Lake years ago and thought I would pass on a few tidbits for some upcoming bites that normally take place here on this lake this time of year and the upcoming weeks.

The walleyes can be found very shallow anticipating the fall frog migration right within the reed beds. Catching walleyes on spinnerbaits and big sucker minnows gave way to many large walleyes every year. Another technique for targeting the edges of the reeds is to flip medium to large sucker minnows rigged on a large unweighted worm hook and let it swim amongst the weed edges. This will produce big bass, pike as well as nice walleyes. To fish the minnows a bit deeper, rig them on a large shank jig head with a light 1/8th oz jig head weight. You may find your self going through alot of minnows on this kind of technique, but rest assured some very large fish can be taken here. As the water cools and the deeper cabbage is dieing off, thats when the fish become more and more congregated and this type of approach will take lots of fish in a very confined area. My buddy and I used to buy 7-10 dozen sucker minnows a day. Although it can be a bit expensive, the results are awesome!
    Now with so many variations of soft plastics availible on the market, large profiled plastics such as the YUM 5″ Houdini Shad may be a viable option here as well to save on the pocket book!

Keep in mind, when water temps reach the mid 40’s, look to the middle of the day being the best period to take active fish and look to the tops of the weeds versus down deeper on the weedline where they might be in the morning hours.

This is a very old technique but still proves to be deadly when water temps are on the decline…..It can be applied to just about every inland lake in upper midwest!

Good luck

bassguy
    MANKATO

How is the water level at the access?

cmsfish
    Nisswa, MN

Interesting patterns Steve. Wondering, though, if you think these shallow water movements truly remain tied to a fall frog migration. Leopard frog numbers have been in constant decline in this area, going back nearly 20 years.

We haven’t seen a significant marsh-to-lake frog migration for many years. As a result, many of these patterns have eroded, or at least, given way to other, slightly different fish movements. Just wondering what your thoughts might be. Thanks!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

My point was when we used to fish this lake years ago, this pattern was in tact.

Regardless if a frog migrational pattern exists today or not in the area, walleyes can be found shallow this time of year. This was an attempt to create conversation for a potential bite that is strong in this area as I know it today. Sometimes an often overlooked pattern for anglers looking to score some big fish during the daylight hours.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.