Gull Lake fishing report

• jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Spent some time on Gull lake last week. We found a pretty good walleye bite during the low light and after dark periods. Pulling cranks in the shallows provided some decent action. The new jointed shallow shad rap in fire tiger was the hot bait after dark. This bait has so much vibration, I think it helps shake off any weeds you run into. All that vibration also attracted numerous rock bass
    The day bite was a little tougher. We found walleye in the cabbage beds, on weed lines, and on deeper main lake structure. The fish in the weeds were a lot of fun to catch on jigs and gulp. The 3″ black shad gulp minnow seemed to be the best. The weed line and deeper fish would take the typical live bait rigs.
    I fished the Full Throttle walleye tournament on Saturday. The tournament was a lot of fun. The fish bit well, but just too many 13″-15″ fish to win. We ended in 5th place with 10.63 for 5 fish.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Thanks for the report. Ill be up there august 3rd-9th and will report back.

jiggin-rake

Bluegills are all over the weeds with some nice ones coming on the outside edges in 10-16 fow. Struggling to find the walleyes. Few bass, perch and pike also. Been using leeches and variety of minnows. Any tips for the walleyes would be appreciated.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

No tips coming here. After three weeks of issues I finally got my new to me boat in fishing condition. Only got two hours last saturday morning.

Tried a bar on the north end and found what you did. Some sunnies and gills with a bruiser on the deep edge of the weedline.

No idea on walleyes yet and just starting to learn the lake.

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

I will be back up there in a couple weeks. When I get there I will be looking at the weed lines. There are areas along the weed lines that will hold walleyes most the season. Once you find one walleye, there usually are more. Mix a little low light or wind in and those fish start going strong. A mini moxi or gulp minnow pitched to the weed line a should produce. Fish the jigs like you would on the river and you should do fine

jiggin-rake

The weedlines in this lake stretch out to 13-17 fow. Its hard to cast in less than 15 fow without getting hung up on a pile of weeds. After dark is the only luck I had on walleyes. 13-15 inchers. Slow trolling or drifting worked the best with redtail chubs or leeches. The reason for redtail chubs is to keep all the small bait stealers at bay. Daytime the sunnys and perch would destroy the leeches. A few rock bass at night in deeper water. A few pike and bass. Seems like a good bass lake. The best spots I found were booming out bay, bowtie bar, and grassy point. The rock pile was slow with a few tiny perch. Also be aware with this lake as there are a lot of shallow spots unmarked all throughout the lake.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

we have tentative plans to have a weekend ice fishing trip[ up to gull. anyone got any pointers? kind of fish to target?? all I know is that the friends place we are going to be staying at is next to the hockey player bret hedican and the figure skater Kristi yamacuchi have a place.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

we have tentative plans to have a weekend ice fishing trip[ up to gull. anyone got any pointers? kind of fish to target?? all I know is that the friends place we are going to be staying at is next to the hockey player bret hedican and the figure skater Kristi yamacuchi have a place.

How about starting a new thread for ice fishing?

Sorry, don’t now where on the lake they are. Typically I’m not up there until after early ice. I also fish the north end predominatly due to location for our cabin. Got local friends up there too. Walleye seems to be the order of the day for Gull. First light and last light seems to be best too.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

hey its a start…….thanks!!!!!

ProStaffSteve

go to Steamboat Bay and night fish in 30-40ft of water you should have nice walleye and crappie. If you go shallow you will catch perch and tiny walleye

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.