Brainerd/Nissawa

• Rick Janssen

Taking the WHOLE family to Nissawa area all next week. Any reports on what is happening in the area? We will be fishing the Cullen Chain.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I think Nisswa still has the Wednesday turtle races if you have small kids. Grandview has been doing some tribute concerts on Thursdays. That’s about all I know.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Was just at Breezy Point for a long weekend. Fishing is tough all over the area from what it sounded like. Warm temps have slowed the walleyes down but bass, pike and panfish seem to be gettable.

Nisswa has a little brewery in town that was a pretty good and good little shops and activities. Bar Harbor on Gull Lake is a great restaurant if you want a nice meal. Bar at Breezy Point has good concerts. Tons to do up there, especially if you have kiddos.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Treasure City is a must.

Charles

Cullen is always good for a bass bite on upper cullen. Other than that it has been slow lately it seams. Gull has some eyes biting about 10-20′ on grass if you can find it.

Rick Janssen

Thanks for the replies. This trip actually started 38 years ago when my in laws started taking the extended family up to the area. I believe they took us up 5 years. I thought it was so cool that they would spend THEIR hard earned money to get us all together, I said that if I ever got in a position I could do that I would. Soooo – 2 years ago, I got my grown kids and their children together to make it happen. I could not believe how much my kids remembered about the trips when they were young. Yes, the turtle races in Nissawa and Paul Bunyan land (the orginial site). My grand daughter was 5, 2 years ago and she has been asking me all week about going back to Paul Bunyan and the turtle races. When I got home from work the other night, she was in my yard with her pole, practicing casting. So cool that kids still get excited about stuff like this. I am sure we will have a grand time

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Walleyes are quite aggresive on the deep weedlines. 30’+ water needs to be adjacent. Spinners with smaller leech or half crawler. Gold was the ticket this AM. Let em suck on it a bit, then give em the juice.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Walleyes are quite aggresive on the deep weedlines. 30’+ water needs to be adjacent. Spinners with smaller leech or half crawler. Gold was the ticket this AM. Let em suck on it a bit, then give em the juice.

Man, where were you to show me the way:) I gave a very half hearted attempt at this pattern. It was so nice out Saturday morning I didn’t care if we caught anything. Burned through a few leeches and off the water by 10am.

Rick Janssen

Fishing on Cullen Lake was pretty good. We caught some very nice bass and caught enough pan fish for a fish fry during the week. Weather was great. Had some warm days and a bit of overcast. Family had a great time.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1055.jpg

2. IMG_1060.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Tagged some low 20″s eyes in the tall cabbage throwing big swimbaits for bass northern.

Saturday am was great though, 3 limits and some throwbacks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.