Boundary Waters Trip

• Rick Janssen

I just returned from trip #30 into the great BWCWA. Trip was OK. Weather was a big factor. Of course we had a great day to paddle in and OUT, but the rest were pretty tough. High winds and rain kept us off the lakes for much of the trip. It seemed like about the time we got some fishing figured out, a new storm would roll through and we had to head in to wait it out. The last night in the tent it got done to 31 and it felt like it. I had to do the heated water bottle trick to keep warm. Caught a few top water small male small mouth, and I think we only caught 5 total SMB over 18″. That is strange for us. NO walleye basically because we could not fish the areas that were holding them because of the wind. Only tried for lake trout for one afternoon, again because of the strong winds in the middle of the lakes where we would be trolling. Caught enough Northern for a few meals, but just not the fishing I wanted. Hopefully the next trip in Sept will be better.

Don Miller
    Onamia

I had some of them 32 deg. nights in the first week of June on one of my trips. Sleeping bag was inadequate. Some of my most miserable nights ever. When you are at a campsite where the easy firewood has long since been burned it is not fun to head back several hundred yards in the dark with a flashlight & bow saw. Then during the day we would get 70 deg. sunshine.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.