Boundary Waters Ice Camping/Fishing- What to bring?

• B-man

Going in for a 5 mile hike and one night stay with some buddies.

I’ve never done it before and just looking for some pointers on equipment.

Here’s my list, please add to it/change it as needed. Trying to pack as light as possible.

The forecast is warm for the season, with a low in the upper teens overnight as of now.

For fishing:

Sled on Smitty Sled
    Two rods
    A tiny tackle box
    Graph/GPS
    Leatherman
    Hand auger

For cooking/eating:

Jet boil
    A couple packs of Ramen
    A couple packs of Oatmeal
    Jerky
    Booze in a plastic bottle
    Water bottle
    Plastic Spork

For Sleeping:

0 degree mummy bag
    Foam pad
    Heat packs

Thinking about just sleeping on the ground, it’s only one night and not forecasted to snow or be crazy cold

Clothes:

Striker outerwear
    Synthetic sweatshirt/pants
    Thermal unders
    Pack boots
    Light boots for the walk in
    Gaiters
    Hat/mitts/full face mask for sleeping
    Extra socks, extra thermal bottoms

Miscellaneous:

Canoe Pack to keep everything dry/contained
    Lighters
    Headlamp
    Compass
    Paracord
    PLB (personal locator beacon)
    Small garbage bag
    Couple bandaids and Advil
    Folding fillet knife
    Couple of gallon ziplocs
    Sunglasses

Optional:

Snowshoes
    Helinox Chair or a bucket w/pad

What am I missing?

What don’t I need?

Obviously going to walk in wearing minimal clothes and light boots to stay dry/cool

We have a short portage, if it’s too rough for the smitty sled, I’ll put the smitty in the sled for that part of the hike.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

A tarp to make a wind shelter both for cooking and sleeping, especially if you are going sans tent. Some sort of water filtration for your drinking water unless you plan to boil each time, before refilling your water bottle.

tswoboda

The jetboil won’t work well under 30*
    Cowboy camping in the BWCA winter is a bold move, get under some tree cover and out of the wind if possible. A single foam pad will be pushing it, maybe double it up or find another pad with higher R-value.

Are you portaging or just lake travel? A standard smitty sled could cause problems on portages.

B-man

The jetboil won’t work well under 30*
    Cowboy camping in the BWCA winter is a bold move, get under some tree cover and out of the wind if possible. A single foam pad will be pushing it, maybe double it up or find another pad with higher R-value.

Are you portaging or just lake travel? A standard smitty sled could cause problems on portages.

10-4, I’ll bring a one pounder and adapter for the stove too in case the butane-propane doesn’t work well. I used it today outside, but it wasn’t terribly cold either.

I’ve thought of just bringing my Heater Body Suit instead of a mummy bag (and sleeping in my gear). It’s a little heavier, but I can fall asleep cozy warm in below zero temps all day in the stand, the forecasted low of 15 degrees overnight would be pretty easy to stay warm in.

We have a short portage and my plan above in case it’s too rough, but my buddy said it’s a pretty easy one so it might even work.

Thanks for all of the advice so far guys! Please keep it coming

Matthew Sandys

What ever food you think to bring double it. You will use a lot more calories then you think.
    Cold will get you from the bottom make sure to have good pad or will freeze you out as loft is compressed on bottom side.
    No COTTON
    Extra base layers and socks. If they get damp at all don’t be afraid to change them. Moister will kill you out there and make you cold quick when stop moving.
    Water treatment, need a lot more water then you would think when doing all the work. Keep hydrated.

PM If you have any questions. Have done it many times, can learn from my mistakes.

Brad Dimond

Add a compact first aid kit. Bandaids don’t get it done for a significant wound. Had a buddy trip and fall onto a beaver cut sapling stump while out hunting far from the truck, pressure bandage kept a painful situation from being a dangerous situation.

kbmwer
    Rosemount, MN

If you want an easy and light option without the tent you can give this a go. A poncho (green military) with the paracord cut and tied on the four corners. tie off the four corners on small tree’s and then bend a small tree over and tie the hood to it’ This will hold up the top and give you a little vent. You can adjust for wind by wrapping the corners tighter to the ground to block any wind. Add a light space blanket on the ground and you will be relatively toasty.

?????

I have done a ton of this in my past. First bring a tent or make a shelter, how when you first get there make a big snow pile, let it settle then dig out the center and a door, cut some dead poles to make a roof structure then cover it with a tarp. Put snow or bows on the floor or your pads and cozy up. You will get some condensation on the tarp from breath but you can deal with it. You will wake up with wet sleeping bags on top but simply take a tarp and lay it on the snow and lay your bag on it during the day and you will be surprised how fast that moisture disappears even at -20. Next is fire figure it out. Snuggle up next to shore in the rocks find a place that has rocks just above the ice to build your fire and a flat rock on top of the fire box area is even better. Bring extra food. Boil water filters freeze up. Nothing more satisfying or fun. Dress in layers to shed and layer up. I have been out sleeping under the stars in -30 new years eave more than once. To old now but when I was 25 game on!! PM me for more info if you want.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The closest I get to camping outdoors is my couch. I suggest a tarp as suggested, they are lite and have many uses. If you are dead set against a tarp at least bring a couple heavy mill leaf bags. Bigger the better. You can always cut the seams to make a shelter if something happens.

You are putting a lot of faith in the weather forecast. shock

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Sounds like a fun trip. Could bring a tarp, but if I trusted the forecast with no snow I would probably rather use snow as a wind block. You’ll stay plenty warm with a 0 degree bag as long as you’ve got some good layers on and obviously not wet. One trick I used for cold feet a few years ago while camping up in the mountains (lows in single digits) was boil some water and throw it in a water bottle. Put the water bottle in your bag by your feet, itll keep them extra warm throughout the night.

If you haven’t already I’d probably scroll through the BWCA.com messageboard forums. I’m sure a lot of good tips are hidden in there for this type of trip.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I’ll echo tbro that the BWCA forum is a great source of information and theres a specific winter camping section. Agree with tswoboda that you could use more insulation from underneath – it’s the ground that sucks away your heat if sleeping laying down.

I’m skeptical of the smitty sled over a portage but if your buddy says you’re good then go for it.

Water filtration/treatment. Filters will freeze as mentioned so keep in your pocket like a drill battery.

Wool!

Dunno where you’re going but if on the Gunflint side this may be helpful.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

,,,,,cut some dead poles to make a roof structure,,,,,, Snuggle up next to shore in the rocks find a place that has rocks just above the ice to build your fire and a flat rock on top of the fire box area is even better.

The BWCA has regulations against such practices. No structures allowed and camping and fires are only allowed in designated campsites. That pile of ashes and half burned logs will continue to be there long after you leave. BWCA rules apply ALL year long

PERMITS REQUIRED
    Regardless of time of year, day-use or overnight permits are required within the Boundary Waters. You must also comply with your permit and only enter the BWCA at the entry point and on the entry date shown on your permit.

CAMPFIRES
    Fires are only allowed within the steel fire grates at designated campsites or as specifically approved on your visitor’s permit.

CAMPSITES
    Camp only at Forest Service designated campsites that have steel fire grates and wilderness latrines. Do not build structures,,,,,

cheers

didn’t see toilet paper on the list. VIP in winter with no leaves available

?????

Dave we did this over 30 years ago before all the new namby pamby rules. Guess unless you have all the newest latest greatest equipment you cannot go there anymore. Sorry I spent many days in the BWCA camping, hunting and fishing. We were so far out in the woods even the wardens never came out that far. We would drive the ice road from Crane Lake up thru Lac Lacroix then ski back into some trout lakes never saw a soul except the natives from the village on the Canadian side. I find it hard to believe a snow cave is considered a structure and cutting dead wood for poles or a fire is legal.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I find it hard to believe a snow cave is considered a structure and cutting dead wood for poles or a fire is legal.

cut some dead poles to make a roof structure

You yourself called the poles a roof structure. Not sure why you consider the rules to be “namby pamby rules”.

“We were so far out in the woods even the wardens never came out that far.” So fear of being caught is the basis? frown

MnPat1

Lots of bad info on here. You want skis or snowshoes first and foremost. You want a long narrow sled like the emsco beast. Make sure it’s as narrow or narrower than your friends. Use your buddies stuff and bring minimal gear. Keep your sled loaded low and light. Under 60 lbs is ideal. My guess is you won’t make the 5 miles with what your going to try and bring. The lakes have some slush now which will create more problems. I like micro fleece and wool for clothing. A light pair of pants and a t shirt for when traveling.

I have camped 100’s of nights in the winter of the bwca. Bring extra trail mix like pounds extra for energy to get back.

Kevin
    Duluth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Kabekonacrazy wrote:</div>
    ,,,,,cut some dead poles to make a roof structure,,,,,, Snuggle up next to shore in the rocks find a place that has rocks just above the ice to build your fire and a flat rock on top of the fire box area is even better.

The BWCA has regulations against such practices. No structures allowed and camping and fires are only allowed in designated campsites. That pile of ashes and half burned logs will continue to be there long after you leave. BWCA rules apply ALL year long

PERMITS REQUIRED
    Regardless of time of year, day-use or overnight permits are required within the Boundary Waters. You must also comply with your permit and only enter the BWCA at the entry point and on the entry date shown on your permit.

CAMPFIRES
    Fires are only allowed within the steel fire grates at designated campsites or as specifically approved on your visitor’s permit.

CAMPSITES
    Camp only at Forest Service designated campsites that have steel fire grates and wilderness latrines. Do not build structures,,,,,

From October through April you do not need to camp at a designated campsite.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

From October through April you do not need to camp at a designated campsite.

The information I posted came direct from the BWCA web page. Can provide a source for the OCT -April exception?

tswoboda

Lots of bad info on here. You want skis or snowshoes first and foremost. You want a long narrow sled like the emsco beast. Make sure it’s as narrow or narrower than your friends. Use your buddies stuff and bring minimal gear. Keep your sled loaded low and light. Under 60 lbs is ideal. My guess is you won’t make the 5 miles with what your going to try and bring. The lakes have some slush now which will create more problems. I like micro fleece and wool for clothing. A light pair of pants and a t shirt for when traveling.

I have camped 100’s of nights in the winter of the bwca. Bring extra trail mix like pounds extra for energy to get back.

Which are more useful, or do you take both? Thinking skis for lake and snowshoes for portages?

MnPat1

I take both skis and snowshoes. If you hit slush it gives you another option. Bring a scraper for your skis and sled.

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

I second the TP. Put some rolls in a gallon zip lock bag. Don’t forget the ziploc bag as frozen/wet TP doesn’t work too well. And a shovel. Clam makes a cheap, small fold up shovel that works pretty good.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

MN Bound had this episode. Looks fun, but I’m with Dutch on this one. I’ll take the couch over a snow fort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GQZ-mvrIfo

Take some good pics B-man. Be safe.

Out of curiosity – is there cell service out there?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

ts – I think he means ski’s and snowshoe(grog) toast

?????

Tomato tamato Dave. Seems like you are looking for an argument. A snow cave is not a structure and the dead poles used to hold up the tarp are firewood for the last day. In winter you can camp where you want on the ice the outfitters do it all the time no worries. Try not to read more into a post than is actually there.

I lived and grew up there and have seen the changes first hand. When we were young we used to snowmobile from Ely to Sag in a day stop in and visit Dorthey Molter, drank her famous root beet and she always had coffee on. We also visited others in the area that lived there all year long. Brought them food and other necessities. We fished it as well. Long ride on a 1970 Rupp 25hp machine. If my memory serves me right last trip was the winter of 1972. My dad loved the place and took us there a lot especially in winter to trout fish. I am sure that others here have done the same.

B-man

So what should I skip on the list??

I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, but other than the auger and snowshoes it will all easily fit in my canoe pack

I’d love to skip the extra boots, but I know my feet will be soaked with sweat and slush by the time we get there.

The backpacking stove could be skipped, but it’s a huge timesaver over having to start a fire everytime I want to melt snow or cook something.

That those pounds will be worth it’s weight in gold to me. Warm feet and time spent on fishing instead of fire starting.

tswoboda

Replace the sled/smitty sled combo with a pulk sled.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Just to clarify you don’t need to camp in a designated site in the non-quota season of October thru April. You do, however, need to self-issue a permit for the entry point you’ll be using on the day you’ll be going in. Also, technically you can only have fires in the designated site grates but I’m sure if you camped on the ice and made a fire you’d be fine. You cannot build structures from pieces of wood but, again, I feel like putting some boughs over some snow is minimally invasive.

BWCA Regulations

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

Replace the sled/smitty sled combo with a pulk sled.

I know those sleds are the traditional way of pulling, but have you ever pulled a Smitty?

If not, you’re missing out my friend. It’s crazy what you can pull with one finger. The only thing that would make it easier is a motor.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

It’s crazy what you can pull with one finger.

Don’t tempt me with a good time jester

Seriously though I’d just be worried about the smitty on a portage

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Just to clarify you don’t need to camp in a designated site in the non-quota season of October thru April.

Just where specifically are you finding this information? The link provided is for reservations, not regulations. Please if you have anything to support an exception, I’d truly like to see it.

Follow the official government links below.
    https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/ Zoom in and select the BWCA icon, which gives you the next link
    https://wilderness.net/visit-wilderness/?ID=70 click on “rules and regulations icon” which will take you to the next official link
    https://wilderness.net/visit-wilderness/?ID=70#area-management finally scroll down and read the info.
    I have provided screen shots for you as well.

Please if you have anything to support an exception, I’d truly like to see it.

Attachments:
    1. USFS003.jpg

2. USFS002.jpg

3. USFS001.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.