border news

• ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

This thread cracks me up.

Sometimes I’m happy there are crazy idiots running our country, cause you come on here and realize it could be way worse. LOL

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Please tell me where in Minnesota or any other state I can catch numerous pike over 20 pounds on any day – June July August. Or boat on a lake for 2 days covering 100 miles of water and be lucky to see 2 boats. Or catch lakers that average 20 pounds with a real shot at a 50 or catch a brooky over 25 inches. Or a legit shot at a 35″ walleye.
    Better yet give me a lake you can do all 4 in one week and I’ll stop going to Canada and recalibrate my adventures!

X2 – Its not possible here in Minnesota or anyplace else here in the US that I know of.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

No doubt Canada has the wilderness and all the great things that go along with it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

There are so many great fishing lakes in northern MN that are just as good as the Canadian shield lakes if you put in some time. I don’t get why people will drive countless hours past these lakes and spend so much money, deal with the mess at the border (i.e. if any of your buddies have a dwi or anything like that) and paying $$ on duties and a Canadian fishing license to catch a couple of the Queen’s fish. It’s pretty obvious to me that Canadians want to make it as difficult as possible for Americans to come spend their money there. Northern Minnesota has more lakes than I can fish in my lifetime, I’ll stick around here. If you are looking for a destination fishing trip, forget Canada and go to Alaska.

If you think the fishing in Northern Minnesota is anywhere as good as it is in Canada. You are either fishing the wrong Canadian Lakes or you are fishing a minnesota lake unlike anyone I’ve ever Fished. On our last fishing trip to Canada we caught 47 Pike over 40″ with a 46″ being the biggest. I would bet not many fishermen fishing Minnesota lakes have caught 1/2 that many pike over 40″ in their lifetime. Add in the endless walleyes and Great lake trout fishing and its almost impossible to do here in Minnesota or anywhere else in the US.

As far as cost goes, The trips I take to Canada often cost far less than trips I’ve made to Minnesota resorts. The place we go in the spring is a Campground and only cost us about 10-12 4 a night. The 8 day conservation license is only 30-35$. The resort we stay at for out fall trip is far cheaper nightly than any Minnesota resort I’ve been to.

Never had a issue at the Border crossing ( Even when traveling with people with a DWI. They do take DWI’s a littler more serious there than we do here in the US. I don’t think that is a bad thing. They tend to take it far to light here and the # of driving deaths here reflect it.

Justin Donson

Anyone suggesting the fishing in Minnesota approaches anything close to the fishing in Ontario is on some crazy *&$^.

“If you put in the time” is also a really tough qualifier, like, the whole reason people go on fishing trips is so they can go to a lake and catch a lot of fish in a very short window. It’s not possible for 99.99% of fisherpeople to ‘put in the time’ at a northern MN lake.

I won’t argue that Alaska is an amazing destination, but keep in mind that you do not have the ability to catch and release fish in Alaska unless you’re running your own boat. $500 per person per day to catch 2 silver salmon or 1 king and then you are done fishing. And price out a week of fishing in Alaska vs. a week fishing in Ontario, not even the same universe!

Coletrain27

This stuff reminds me of the people that expect to go shoot a trophy deer every time they set foot in the woods. So many places to fish in MN but there just not quite good enough I guess coffee

tswoboda

Most guys I know that $hit on fishing in Canada are coincidentally the same guys that can’t legally cross the border.

walleye216

Most guys I know that $hit on fishing in Canada are coincidentally the same guys that can’t legally cross the border.

I have noticed the same thing.

Great Laker

I won’t argue that Alaska is an amazing destination, but keep in mind that you do not have the ability to catch and release fish in Alaska unless you’re running your own boat. $500 per person per day to catch 2 silver salmon or 1 king and then you are done fishing. And price out a week of fishing in Alaska vs. a week fishing in Ontario, not even the same universe!

Not sure if regs have changed in the last couple years but we did a lot of C&R in Alaska, both with and without a guide. Kings, reds, silvers, you name it. The fish cannot come out of the water if you are C&R’ing, that was the only rule I recall. That is why you see so many guys taking pictures of fish with the fish’s belly in the water. In fact, when fishing reds, the majority of fish you catch have to be released unless they are hooked in the mouth which is not common when fishing reds.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>duluth1an wrote:</div>
    If you think the fishing in Northern Minnesota is anywhere as good as it is in Canada. You are either fishing the wrong Canadian Lakes or you are fishing a minnesota lake unlike anyone I’ve ever Fished. On our last fishing trip to Canada we caught 47 Pike over 40″ with a 46″ being the biggest. I would bet not many fishermen fishing Minnesota lakes have caught 1/2 that many <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike over 40″ in their lifetime. Add in the endless walleyes and Great lake trout fishing and its almost impossible to do here in Minnesota or anywhere else in the US.

As far as cost goes, The trips I take to Canada often cost far less than trips I’ve made to Minnesota resorts. The place we go in the spring is a Campground and only cost us about 10-12 4 a night. The 8 day conservation license is only 30-35$. The resort we stay at for out fall trip is far cheaper nightly than any Minnesota resort I’ve been to.

Our fly in trips out of Nestor Falls are less expensive than a long weekend at Sportsmans on LOTW. There is no comparison imho.

It’ll likely be next summer for me before I go again but I can’t wait.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin Donson wrote:</div>

Not sure if regs have changed in the last couple years but we did a lot of C&R in Alaska, both with and without a guide. Kings, reds, silvers, you name it. The fish cannot come out of the water if you are C&R’ing, that was the only rule I recall. That is why you see so many guys taking pictures of fish with the fish’s belly in the water. In fact, when fishing reds, the majority of fish you catch have to be released unless they are hooked in the mouth which is not common when fishing reds.

When I was there it was a mandatory C&R season for Kings on the Kenai.

Not sure how you were fishing Reds, but to say it’s not common to hook them in the mouth seems a bit outta wack. Yes some get snagged but we legally caught them at least 5:1. Maybe stop setting the hook 3 times each drift.

Ripjiggen

Again this thread is cracking me up. We are comparing fishing Alaska now to fishing and hour or two across the boarder north of Minnesota.

tswoboda

Again this thread is cracking me up. We are comparing fishing Alaska now to fishing and hour or two across the boarder north of Minnesota.

Who could have ever seen a border thread going off the rails. You just gotta roll with it. Embrace the S-show. Team chaos always wins.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    if you have to wait 15-20 minutes for your test results before you can cross the border then i’m going to open a food truck/water stand along side the road for the miles and miles of backed up cars/trucks that will be waiting to get in…

I was thinking the same thing.

As long as you can wait on the Canada side, it should only slow the process the 15-20 mins.

Good one. rotflol

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I hope they open it soon.I would love to see some of our water in WI and MN and other midwest waters lose some pressure.
    I love fishing in Canada-for everyone else.I go to northern WI. and the last two years it’s been busier than pre-covid.So open the door Canada and everyone run for the border.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

As much as I would love to go fish Canada again, I cannot take a shot to do so. Hope one day the rules change but doubtfully. Because when that happens some how another thing will come up and another stipulation will happen.
    I fished Canada a few times and loved it, its pretty much the life I dream of.
    I made a mistake and got a dwi 12 years ago on a wheeler inbetween my house and a neighbors a few doors down. It ruined it for me. I really want to go back and I can now, but I can’t because I won’t shoot my self with a shot that is new.
    One day I hope

Jim in Wisconsin

I stopped going to Canada 23 years ago because I found out that it was illegal to drink a beer in your own boat w/o regard if you were actually running the boat. Then a few years later I stopped drinking entirely. I never went back and probably won’t ever. No DWI & never arrested. The fishing isn’t that great there anyways. If you want a big walleye go to Lake Geneva or a big northern, go to Green Bay, or Chequamegon Bay.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I stopped going to Canada 23 years ago because I found out that it was illegal to drink a beer in your own boat w/o regard if you were actually running the boat. Then a few years later I stopped drinking entirely. I never went back and probably won’t ever. No DWI & never arrested. The fishing isn’t that great there anyways. If you want a big walleye go to Lake Geneva or a big northern, go to Green Bay, or Chequamegon Bay.

I dont think this is correct at all. Honestly, the fish on some lakes are so much nicer on the other border.
    Not that the fish on these lakes are not trophy quality. But like thumper said its size numbers and experience. I love Canada but it isn’t for me my self in this condition

Jim in Wisconsin

I’ve made numerous hunting & fishing trips to Ontario and enjoyed them all. I just don’t see myself going back. I still fish and hunt but usually closer to Hayward. I don’t begrudge you going to Canada & I hope you enjoy it.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Have fun with the OPP, they don’t like anyone from the states.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Really? Thats a interesting observation. Would that be like Minnesota cops not liking someone from Wisconsin or Iowa?

Or is it they don’t like criminals no matter where they are from?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wallyhntr1 wrote:</div>

Really? Thats a interesting observation. Would that be like Minnesota cops not liking someone from Wisconsin or Iowa?

It’s nothing but ignorance speaking. It’s easy to see or read from a mile away.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

The border closure is set to expire 1 week from today? When the heck are they gonna announce something? What a joke

snelson223
    Austin MN

I read something today that they are open the boarder between Manitoba and Ontario this Wednesday.

Jensen

If sports teams like the Montreal Canadiens can cross to play Vegas it should be allowed for the common person to cross.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

[/quote]

Apples to oranges, we aren’t talking between states. Insinuating I’m a criminal?

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

It’s nothing but ignorance speaking. It’s easy to see or read from a mile away.

[/quote]

30yrs of fishing CA, but being treated like we don’t belong by OPP, while the residents treated us like gold, yea, I’m ignorant.

Jim in Wisconsin

I never had trouble at the border or with the OPP. Overall I found the OPP to be helpful, especially at the remote locations like IR21 (Grassy Narrows).

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

6 years ago bil and I went to RR in the spring. Wanted a RABC permit. Went to the Canadian border crossing office to get it. When we went inside and walked up to the counter for paperwork 4 officers pretended to be busy. Waited 15 minutes before anyone spoke to us. Finally 1 officer grunts “What ya want?” No may I help you or anything. Well we get the form from him with directions to fill it out and go to the end of the counter. So we did that. Wait another 15 minutes. Same 4 guys are busy again. We are the only other 2 people in this room! Finally a woman officer comes out, sees us and asks us what we need. Tell her we have RABC form filled out and waiting. She tells us the counter we need to go to is in the next room! We get our passes and on our way out I ask where to buy Canadian fishing license. Same 4 guys tell us they have no idea where to get a Canadian fishing license. What a bunch of arrogant pr__ks. flame Stopped at a NAPA store and they told us where the Bait shop was.

A fly in is on my bucket list but if I have to go through that again Canada can kiss my behind.

Sylvanboat

I have going to NW Ontario since the 70s and never had a bad experience with Canadian Customs. US Customs was a different story although they have been much friendlier over the past ten years or so.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.