border news

• cheers

The CBC news this morning ran an artificial stating that the border may be opening to fully vaccinated with a negative test soon . Prime Minister expected to make announcement soon. Evidently both sides are working out details

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

The CBC news this morning ran an artificial stating that the border may be opening to fully vaccinated with a negative test soon . Prime Minister expected to make announcement soon. Evidently both sides are working out details

Do you work for one of the major news stations?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My guess is it will open either July 17th or Aug. 17th. As long as its open by Sept. I will be happy.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Hope this is actually going to happen. Curious where would you be getting this test, rapid test at the border? Or bring test results from a doctor less than 24 hours old?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Curious where would you be getting this test, rapid test at the border?

Should be easy enough to do at the border. I have been tested weekly at work since this all started, and I always have results in 10-15 minutes. Hopefully, if this news is true, they can have rapid testing available at border crossings.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Should be easy enough to do at the border. I have been tested weekly at work since this all started, and I always have results in 10-15 minutes.

The rapid tests are not quite as accurate as the 24 hour PCR test though. I could see Canada going with the most accurate test available which would mean the traveler would have to rely on the medical establishment to relay the test result to Canadian authorities. I think the rapid test right at the border is probably the easiest route from a logistical standpoint, even if its not as accurate.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

And who pays for these tests. I guess I am willing to pay the extra $90.00 to get in.

JoeMX1825
    MN

if you have to wait 15-20 minutes for your test results before you can cross the border then i’m going to open a food truck/water stand along side the road for the miles and miles of backed up cars/trucks that will be waiting to get in…

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

if you have to wait 15-20 minutes for your test results before you can cross the border then i’m going to open a food truck/water stand along side the road for the miles and miles of backed up cars/trucks that will be waiting to get in…

Please be sure to at least get a liquor license. I will happily hand you some cash for a few cold ones while waiting!

Ripjiggen

I was thinking the same thing.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I am hoping by the time they open the border the whole testing part of it is gone. I will do it if necessary. I think I come in less contact with other people on a 1 week fishing trip to Canada than I do going to and from work each day.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The dazed and confused Canadian approach to reopening the border drags on…

What’s missing from the latest round of “reopening soon” reports is still WHOM will be allowed to cross this newly reopened border? Business/commercial visitors only? Only those with family/relatives in Canada? People who own property in Canada? Or everyone including tourists/recreational visitors?

People hear “border reopening” reports and they forget the Canadian government has never released an actual plan stating what type of visitors will be allowed and when. Even though they’ve had over a year to create such a plan. So we don’t yet know if recreational visitors will be part of a reopening or not.

What is also missing is what type of “vaccine passport” or other documentation will the Canadians accept at the border? At the current glacial pace of the Canadian government, details like this will take an additional year or more to work out.

Should be easy enough to do at the border. I have been tested weekly at work since this all started, and I always have results in 10-15 minutes. Hopefully, if this news is true, they can have rapid testing available at border crossings.

Testing at the border entry points would be an absolute disaster. Requiring everyone who enters to sit around waiting for 15-20 minutes and having the organizationally challenged Canadian government trying to keep border posts stocked with testing kits, keeping testing equipment running, insuring trained staff are available 24-7-365 to conduct tests, etc, etc. The whole thing would be a total charlie foxtrot and the backed-up traffic would be lined up in Iowa because of it.

And of course as with everything else, the Canadians will be looking for how to extract the maximum amount of $$$ out of Americans. Who wants to make a prediction about what the Canadians will charge for each test if they do it at the border? I’m going to go with $50 USD per person. Cash only just to make it more profitable.

We need to unilaterally open up our side of the border. That will force the Canadian government to deal with the situation.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

As long as you can wait on the Canada side, it should only slow the process the 15-20 mins.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Testing at the border entry points would be an absolute disaster.

Yeah, it would be horrendous, for sure, but I’m wondering what kind of testing documentation they’ll accept, otherwise. There are apps available (Abbott Navica, for instance), but will they use it?

You guys figure it out. I’ll stay in MN. rotflol

Angler II

The dazed and confused Canadian approach to reopening the border drags on…

What’s missing from the latest round of “reopening soon” reports is still WHOM will be allowed to cross this newly reopened border? Business/commercial visitors only? Only those with family/relatives in Canada? People who own property in Canada? Or everyone including tourists/recreational visitors?

People hear “border reopening” reports and they forget the Canadian government has never released an actual plan stating what type of visitors will be allowed and when. Even though they’ve had over a year to create such a plan. So we don’t yet know if recreational visitors will be part of a reopening or not.

What is also missing is what type of “vaccine passport” or other documentation will the Canadians accept at the border? At the current glacial pace of the Canadian government, details like this will take an additional year or more to work out.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>

Testing at the border entry points would be an absolute disaster. Requiring everyone who enters to sit around waiting for 15-20 minutes and having the organizationally challenged Canadian government trying to keep border posts stocked with testing kits, keeping testing equipment running, insuring trained staff are available 24-7-365 to conduct tests, etc, etc. The whole thing would be a total charlie foxtrot and the backed-up traffic would be lined up in Iowa because of it.

And of course as with everything else, the Canadians will be looking for how to extract the maximum amount of $$$ out of Americans. Who wants to make a prediction about what the Canadians will charge for each test if they do it at the border? I’m going to go with $50 USD per person. Cash only just to make it more profitable.

We need to unilaterally open up our side of the border. That will force the Canadian government to deal with the situation.

Completely agree. It would be an absolute gong show.

Just open the boarder without testing. This goes for both sides.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I have to agree with Grouse point for point on this one.

It’s already stressful enough driving through the border (for guys with past DWIs especially). Now you add a whole other layer of COVID complexity on top of it and I’m almost thinking forget it as much as I want to go.

Our outfitter called today and was optimistic on this recent “news” however she plainly stated the Canadian government has instilled fear to their population and basically blamed COVID on the US (how twisted is that??) She went on to say they would be sending letters to all customers telling them and advising NOT to stop while in Canada.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yeah, it would be horrendous, for sure, but I’m wondering what kind of testing documentation they’ll accept, otherwise. There are apps available (Abbott Navica, for instance), but will they use it?

Well, it’s Canada. So it will need to be an unnecessarily complicated solution that MUST be designed and built in Canada and by Canadians. It will probably only run on Blackberry devices.

Using existing American (gasp!) apps? Obviously, that would be too easy and make too much sense, so that will be a non-starter.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You guys keep dreaming, in the meantime the Canadian Government will do what they deem fit to keep their citizens safe.

It will open when it opens and the rules will be what the rules will be. No amount of wishing, hoping & hand wringing by a handful of Americans will sway their opinion.

welliou

An articule on the internet says a possible boarder opening of June 22 may be in the works

big_g
    Isle, MN

You guys keep dreaming, in the meantime the Canadian Government will do what they deem fit to keep their citizens safe.

That’s simple enough… no non-canadian visitors to nursing homes or hospitals.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

nothing to keep people from producing fakes

Falsifying those vaccine cards is a federal crime since they have the CDC logo on them. Just an FYI

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Millions of counterfeit dollars floating around this country. Good luck stopping some guy from photocopying a few thousand vaccine cards.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Feathers wrote:</div>
    nothing to keep people from producing fakes

Falsifying those vaccine cards is a federal crime since they have the CDC logo on them. Just an FYI

I didn’t even have the card when I had the second shot in January. The staff was handing out post-its with dosage numbers for people to copy onto their card if they forgot/lost theirs.

Those cards are as reliable as the news.

I’m guessing a negative rapid test or a negative test within the last few days will be the one and only requirement of entry beyond usual. I’m far too swamped with work here to even imagine a trip to Canada any time soon, so I haven’t been too concerne. Best luck to those with the free time and plans to go… I’m sure there will be some lights out fishing.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

After video chatting with our daughter last week, They, living on Vancouver Island can not travel to Vancouver.
    Her mother-in-law lives South of Halifax NS and states she is still house quarantined, I’m not sure whether or not she still has a 2 week before and after quarantine when visiting someone outside of her pod.

I believe that SWMBO and me, will not get to squeeze our family till next year. Daughter is 37 , GD is 5 and GS is 2. Last time we were together he was 3 weeks old.

Business travel is all that will happen this year, imho.

Ripjiggen

Ripjiggen wrote:
    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

As long as you can wait on the Canada side, it should only slow the process the 15-20 mins.

Good one that made me laugh. rotflol
    Does anything in Canada besides a mini mite hockey period only take 15-20 mins.

Don’t disagree they have a plan and I do not think it necessarily includes recreational fisherman first.

DTW

Do you realize how close to 1930’s Germany you are becoming!?

Show me your papers….

Come on man! You are all dog faced pony soldiers.

I hope you understand that dog faced reference….

DTW

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

An articule on the internet says a possible boarder opening of June 22 may be in the works

Well if you read it on the internet it must be true. whistling

ajw

Canada stinks. There i said it

bigpike

Canada stinks. There i said it

Canada sucks. There I said it

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

As if I need another reason not to go there. rotflol
    Ill be needing a little more motivation before I take the vaccine. Like access to food, water and a job.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.