Border Agents Detain 7 who Snowmobiled into US from Canada

• ?????

Like all media they only tell 1/2 the story. If what you say is true and the Federal employee used his position to benefit himself and harm others in order to keep what he thinks is his he should be discharged. Once again only hearing some of the entire story. Those guides have been there a long time and know their stuff from the start I knew something was fishy in this story. No pun intended or was there? Good luck to Woody and his fellow guides!! Go get them and win your case!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’m not familiar with a Nexxus card but am with an RABC. Are they similar? Does that have any relevance with this hard vs soft water contention point?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Pat I’m not sure but I think the Nexxus card has something to do with working in Canada. I recall hearing someplace there was major hoops to jump through to work in Canada such as doing TV shows and stuff there.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I stand corrected.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

Technically you are supposed to check in with Customs when you cross into Canada and come back to the US, say for a day of fishing. Very few people have checked in with Customs in the past and it hasn’t been a problem. Looks like Customs is going to start enforcing the law.

Some friends and I were on LOTW last week and the ice was plenty thick. There was one hole were we did not get through. Hope she is ice free by Opener.

Attachments:
    1. DSCN0569.jpg

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    I wasn’t attacking or defending anybody. Quite the opposite. I remember the day the cop up in Cold Spring? (forgive me for a bad memory) got killed. Everybody buried the guy first announced as the shooter. I said to wait and let the dust settle before convicting anybody. Turns out the guy accused didn’t do anything yet his life was nearly ruined. Thats my point here. Nobody knows the whole story or any facts. I don’t know every name listed so I don’t want to throw rocks. No sense in picking sides unless a person was there and was willing to tell the whole story in court.

Agreed Dutchboy. I didn’t take it as such. I just feel badly that these guys are involved in a local “this is my territory” deal, particularly when the aggressor in the case is a highly positioned Federal Employee. None of this has even been mentioned btw. You are correct in that I do NOT know exactly what took place and I do know the guides involved quite well. I do not know the other American involved in the territorial debate that took place in Canada. This will never see the courts. I am in no position to throw rocks either. Not my intent. Just frustrated that “we/us”…the public, does not get the whole story. We just get the press release by the one side that has a bottomless budget and access to every media outlet.

Spot on Deron! I know one of the guides and these guys don’t have deep enough pockets to fight this. Not a good situation for them or any of us if in fact they are rewriting the laws without formal notification. I hope someone steps in and makes things right.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Anybody have any updates on this?

Deron Eilertson
    Rainy Lake

There won’t be any I would estimate. The law is the law and that is the way it is. They didn’t do anything that everyone does there. Those that blew the whistle will continue to do what they do. Woody and Schmitty will likely not get there sleds back. All over a wolf hunting issue in Canada…by an American Gov’t employee baiting within a few blocks of the sanctuary known as Voyageurs National Park. Can’t fight the Man Dutch Boy. Nothing will change along the border…business as usual. The locals won’t forget however.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

“All over a wolf hunting issue in Canada…by an American Gov’t employee baiting within a few blocks of the sanctuary known as Voyageurs National Park. Can’t fight the Man Dutch Boy. Nothing will change along the border…business as usual. The locals won’t forget however.

Yep, what comes around…goes around. “You shall reap what you plant”

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I don’t care if this unbacked accusation of a squatting match is true or not or if everyone else does it also. the rules were broke. Part of my family have been going to a border lake in the arrowhead for 40 years and we fallow the rules and never have had any problems with the Us or Canada. One gets pinched for doing something wrong you pay the consequences. A supposed squatting match has no significance other than gossip.

Deron Eilertson
    Rainy Lake

Argeed sinker. Bottom line is that “Ice is Land” when it comes to MN/Ontario border waters. There is no pending court case. The law was broken…can’t argue that. As to why these 2 guys were made an example of in this case, we will never know. End of story.

blackbay

The story should actually continue. A vast majority of people return to the US in the Island View area. There should at least be accessible OARS stations at the park HQ and maybe the 3 main resorts. Right now having to go to and from Bohman’s Landing adds an additional 14 miles for anyone who is staying in the Island View area. That is ridiculous, especially in bad weather. Better yet they need to expand the program started on LOW last August with tablets at access points to video conference with CBP officers. They also need to make the I-68 much easier to get. It’s no wonder people have always just not even bothered. The world’s largest friendly border has more and stricter enforcement than the southern border it seems. MN DNR, National Park Rangers, Koochiching County Sheriff, OPP, MNR, unmanned drones, motion detectors… I totally support making our borders secure but don’t make normal everyday good people criminals because the rules are so unwieldy.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.