Boots for Ice Fishing

• Kyle Wills

Looking for a good pair of boots for ice fishing. Need recommendations.

MNdrifter

I like my La Crosse alpha Burlys, with 1200 gram thinsulate. They are indestructible. I wear them for work a lot too on bitter cold days.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I don’t have them, but I remember a thread last year on this and a lot of folks had recommended Baffin.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Cabelas predator extremes, my feet have never been cold in them

monstermatt
    Minnesota

Muck arctic sports for me.

SW Eyes

As mentioned, can’t best bunny boots (“Mickey mouses” are black and not insulated as heavily, you want the white “bunnies”). Best boot for sitting on your butt in the freezing cold….if you can find a good pair around. They used to be dirt cheap and easy to find…not really so much anymore.

Otherwise, you get what you pay for. Go cheap, and expect numb toes.

DHD

I like my arctic pro muck boots. I have a pair of cabelas pack boots I don’t think I have worn even once since I got the muck boots

Wiljo Korpela

All I use too. Good down to -40f up to 60f waterproof and durable, don’t see why not too many other people wear them.

Ryan Wilson

Muck Arctic pros for me. Warmest, most waterproof boots I’ve ever owned. Even went steelhead fishing once in them and after 4 hours of standing in a river, not only were my feet warm, but not a drop of water seeped through anywhere. Great boots.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Mickey Mouse boots work well if you don’t mind the weight (52oz each)…
    I couldn’t do that anymore so got Baffin Impacts….Nice and toasty and way lighter…

Timo i

Big rubber boots with grandma’s knitted wool socks, done

UPOW

For those who wear the muck boots. Are the arctic sport warm enough or would you go for the arctic pros? Just wondering for the warmer days. Not wanting my feet sweating to the point my socks feel wet. Thanks.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

ive worn sorel pac boots without issue for the last couple of years. Just found a deal on baffin titans i couldnt pass up so i got a pair of those to try out. They havent arrived yet but ill let you know how they are when i put em on

monstermatt
    Minnesota

For those who wear the muck boots. Are the arctic sport warm enough or would you go for the arctic pros? Just wondering for the warmer days. Not wanting my feet sweating to the point my socks feel wet. Thanks.

I haven’t had any issue with the arctic sport. I think they are warm enough. On the really cold days I use a heavier wool sock and adjust my sock weight to the temp outside to prevent any sweat issues. Hope this helps.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

X2
    Mickey / Bunny

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Baffin Apex.

Everyone on this site who went and bought Baffin boots based on recommendations from a post, have loved them.

Super warm.

troutbum
    St. Paul

Baffin Eiger.

bassh8er

Can anyone give me an idea of what I should expect to pay for the Baffin Impacts or Arctic Mucks? I’ve seen a variety of prices and would appreciate any tips on where to get a decent deal.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Baffins are the best I’ve found. Super warm so I can stand on the ice for hours without getting cold feet. A bit overkill on warmer days. They are also pretty bulky because of all the insulation but they are surprisingly good for walking in. Always buy one or two sizes bigger than what you usually wear. Best to try them on before buying.

mozy
    LQP

Can anyone give me an idea of what I should expect to pay for the Baffin Impacts or Arctic Mucks? I’ve seen a variety of prices and would appreciate any tips on where to get a decent deal.

Use Amazon. I bought Muck Artic Pro boots for $90 from there, although that’s not typical. Most of the time their $115-130. Much better than a store where they’d be $165+tax.

trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

Snow Claw or insulated Rut Master 2. Both from Red Wing Shoes.

troutbum
    St. Paul

Damn. 90 for pros? Wowza

Ryan Wilson

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>UPOW wrote:</div>

I haven’t had any issue with the arctic sport. I think they are warm enough. On the really cold days I use a heavier wool sock and adjust my sock weight to the temp outside to prevent any sweat issues. Hope this helps.

My feet are usually always cold and sweat so I went straight for the Pros. Wearing wool socks is a major improvement of warmth and breathability for any boot and adjusting the wool weight to weather conditions is spot on!

Wearing a lightweight sock liner also helps a lot for wicking sweat away keeping your feet dry and warm. I recommend trying the liner’s with wool socks (I enjoy Wigwams 85%-90% heavy wool sock, the huge ones, can’t recall the name) if you have sweaty feet or cold feet. Another big thing is leaving room in your boots for air circulation. A tight boot will cause cold feet no matter how good your socks are.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Columbia Bugaboots are real solid. Best boots I’ve ever had, and I’ve gone through a half-dozen different types in the $100-class. They run a half-size small, FYI. I wear 13 normally, but I wear size 14 Bugaboots with heavy socks.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I got my mucks for 135.I looked for months,165.00 everywhere.I got tired of waiting for a better deal.Got them off amazon.

ejdelvo28

All options listed are very good choices, and there are advantages for each. Baffins tend to be the most lightweight choice, but some models aren’t waterproof past the foot. Mickey mouse boots will probably be the cheapest but also the heaviest and possibly least comfortable. Muck boots Are great waterproof boots but I’ve heard you absolutely need cleats with them as the traction is not good. Like I said, there’s advantages to each, just pick your poison. I personally own Baffin Titans which I scored on Amazon for $48 2 summer ago. My feet have never been the slightest bit cold, and they also have a rubber shell so completely waterproof unlike other Baffin models. The only downside is they are bulky.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Baffins are unbelievable for warmth and weight.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.