Boots for Ice Fishing

• matthewkolden

I’ve realized i’m suddenly in great need of a new pair of boots for ice fishing. I learned quickly this morning when the bottom of my right boot filled with water while drilling holes. A wet foot is a bad deal.

My current boots are really old Rockies, and they have been fine. A little heavy, but generally warm.

But those are from many years ago, and there’s lots of new options. So, I’m wondering if anyone has anything great to say about specific brands that I should consider. I’d love something lighter weight that still maintains as much warmth as possible. Thanks in advance.

Karl Rumschmidt

Muck Artic Pros, or Muck Wetland. I will never go back to a traditional boot.

catmando
    wis

White bunny boot, nothing better!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Lacrosse Alphaburly’s. I waited many years to jump on the Rubber/Neoprene boots. After using mine for a year I wish I had went this route mant years ago. They are much warmer than I thought they would be and keep your feet dry all day long no matter how many holes you drill or how much slush there is

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

White bunny boot, nothing better!

The bunny boots are great but not light.

The baffin snow monsters have been pretty good, going on my third year. They are super light and water tight so far. My other boots are the newer Muck artic ice when it’s swampy and Yukon Mukluks. The Mukluks are ultralight and super warm, but crap in wet conditions.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Baffin titans or baffin of your choice.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Baffin titans or baffin of your choice.

I have the Baffin Apex – Love the warmth but they are Big and Bulky – Not a boot you want to wear if you are moving around a lot. Great boot for snowmobiling and long deer stand sits though.

Summerontheriver
    Minnesota & Alaska

Bunny Boots Rock!!!!

I work in the arctic, of Alaska, 20 years on the north slope, I’ve tried them all, and tested them all to temperatures to 70 below ambient and wind chills as low as 112 below zero. I am an ice fisherman from south east Minnesota, who fishes not only the backwaters of pool 8, but Mille Lacs, LOW, Sylvia Lake, Red, Wisconsin Lakes in the Spooner Wisconsin area. I have tried different boots that the oilfield has provided me over the years, and I am going to share some feedback.

Bunny Boots, the warmest out there, yes they are heavier, but, (even with bare feet) these will never get cold. approx. 50$-100$ Ebay, also available at Army Navy Surplus stores. Easy to dry out, wipe with paper towel, and done.
    FYI: The white style Bunny Boot seems to be warmer than the black version known as the Mickey Mouse boot.

Baffins, warm boots, aka Pac-Boot seem to trap moisture from feet, which causes freeze up at extreme cold temperatures, very expensive, i threw mine away, as my feet were aching second day of use, best if worn and not moving, takes a long time to dry with boot dryer. I do not like these, to each there own, just my honest opinion.

Mucks, or Muck style, rubber and neoprene, Great boots, feet get cold at extreme cold temperatures. Not very expensive. Good for ice fishing for sure, lighter than bunny boots, but not as warm as Bunny Boots.

Neos Navigator Stabilicers Overshoe, 120$ “Over Boots” These you can wear right over any boot, or even shoes you have, they offer great warmth, and traction built in. A second favorite for warmth by the majority of workers in the Arctic. Bulky and almost impossible to drive in, but easy enough to put on and off. We put plastic grocery bags over our boots to help slide these on and off. Would be great for ice fishing, however, I have not brought a pair home yet.

There are lots of other choices, like pack boots, Insulated rubber boots, Neoprene rubber boots, etc…

Pack Boots such as Baffin, not good for lots of moving around as sweat builds up in insulation, then gets cold. Rubber Neoprene are great at warmer conditions, just not at extreme cold temps beyond 20 below… My choice would be the Bunny Boot then the NEOS when its colder than 20 below.

The way I see it for the price of a pair of Baffin or pac boots, a person can buy one pair of Bunny boots for extreme cold, and a pair of Muck like boots for everyday ice fishing.

Just wanted to share my opinion on boots, along with the mast majority of over 10,000 employees who work in the oil fields of the north slope of Alaska. Tight Lines!!!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    Lacrosse Alphaburly’s.

Did you go with the 1600’s ?

I did and am happy I did. So far the best test I had with them in cold temps was one 6 Hr outing in temps in the upper teens. Feet were warm the whole outing. I was doing a fair amount of hole hopping so that may have helped. I believe that they are going to be fine down to near 0 temps – After that I’ll go with the baffins

-J.

marendt
    Lake City, MN

baffin titans are the best in my world. Double as great in the late season tree stand as well.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

matthewkolden listen to Summerontheriver, you will not regret it.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Thank you for the write up Summerontheriver and welcome to IDO. If you go the white Bunny Boot route make sure to buy them in person. Since there were made in the 60, some of them don’t have much traction / treed left and are very used. Sometimes you can find a new pair. The army surplus store is where I picked up my unused pair many years ago.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Rodwork, actually the early 50’s from the Korean war. But yes, buy them in person. They still have new surplus. I bought mine few years ago and ended up with a new pair of mickey mouse boots (black) because they didn’t have new mickey mouse in my size.
    Mine still had the original tag on them with instructions. I may still have the tag and if I can find it I’ll post it.
    They are comfy, the only downside is they are a bit short but if you wear tall socks you’re GTG.

hawghunter08

Lacrosse alpha burly pro 1600 gram. Awesome ice boot

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

So far the Korker Vortex has worked great for me, light weight and my feet stay warm and dry, my previous boots were infernos, I have some Baffins but they are too huge for me…

Pauleye
    Onamia

I bought the Clam boot this year. Waterproof and warm. So far so good!

riverruns
    Inactive

Bunny Boots, the warmest out there, yes they are heavier, but, (even with bare feet) these will never get cold. approx. 50$-100$ Ebay,

I’ve had these for many years. They are great boots. waytogo Now 1 thing I want to add is that if you can come across a size 10 regular or wide let me know at that price. I’ve been all over the internet looking. Ya stuff that is beat up and worn out is out there. Otherwise your looking at a couple hundred bucks for a good pair. PM me with your finds. wink

They need to be the white boots not the black. There is a difference.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

I dont know if Minnesota has one,but here in North Dakota we have a state surplus property store.They sell state and federal surplus goods to qualified individuals,ie,state imployees,military,non profit etc.Anyway I believe bunny boots run about 20$ a pair,might be worth checking out.
    I too wear the white”bunny”and have never had cold feet,and I also spend about 12 hrs a day during the work week in them,also put 5 miles a day walking to work and back in them.Great boots!!

catmando
    wis

Never ran a marathon ice fishing, I want warm and waterproof.

Summerontheriver
    Minnesota & Alaska

Thank you for the write up Summerontheriver and welcome to IDO. If you go the white Bunny Boot route make sure to buy them in person. Since there were made in the 60, some of them don’t have much traction / treed left and are very used. Sometimes you can find a new pair. The army surplus store is where I picked up my unused pair many years ago.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Yes the eBay route might not be the best, I bought both pairs of mine at a army navy surplus in Alaska.

matthewkolden listen to Summerontheriver, you will not regret it.

Can’t go wrong at the price….

Why can’t a company like LaCrosse, Striker, Redwing, or even strikemaster make a replica bunny boot? Just for us ice fisherman!

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

Catmando.warm and waterproof is exactly why I started wearing them for work,at the end of the day I know my feet are going to be warm and dry,was never a garauntee with even the best leather work boots!!
    They also see plenty of time on the ice!!

Summerontheriver
    Minnesota & Alaska

I bought mine as previously issued, military, as I was told by an old timer up here, that the newer ones are actually not as warm. I have had guys buy off eBay, and they were maybe a lil marked up, but still warm and no issues. These are all rubber interior, so I don’t care they were on someone else’s feet, as it’s easy enough to sanitize and clean the runner interior. Also, for anyone considering these boots, on amazon they sell “xtra tuff bama socks” these are AWESOME to wear with any rubber boot, or bunny boot, as they do a great job at wicking the moisture from your foot… they look funny, but there under your boots, and I’m all about comfort, warm and dry feet!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Great write up and I’ve owned both bunny and Baffin boots. Bunny’s are amazing for the price and probably the best extreme all around boot but I’ll take my baffins any day. If I’m not active those baffins are a gem. Super warm and the comfort is unmatched. Bunnies were also designed that if they get wet or filled with water, you simply empty the boot out and they’re designed to warm your feet again…anything with a liner will not. Another thing with bunnies is that they have no grips at all…super slick boots.

Trevor Hebel
    Roseau, MN

I have the Lacrosse Alphaburly Pro 1600 gram. I really like them, if I were to buy them again I would definetly consider going up a size. I wear a size 10 and they fit great but if your going to wear 2 pairs of socks or throw foot warmers in that extra room would be great. When moving around they are SUPER WARM. Definetly want a pair of moisture wicking socks on.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Clam Sub Zero X boot. put my foot down a 10 inch hole last season and filled the whole boot with water. Because I was wearing a pair of the moisture wicking socks and Merino wool socks in the boot at the time I was able to stay out and fish even with a wet foot and it stayed warm even when wet. I did how ever set up the house and held it over the heater later on to dry it some before I made the walk off the ice that day.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have the Lacrosse Alphaburly Pro 1600 gram. I really like them, if I were to buy them again I would definetly consider going up a size. I wear a size 10 and they fit great but if your going to wear 2 pairs of socks or throw foot warmers in that extra room would be great. When moving around they are SUPER WARM. Definetly want a pair of moisture wicking socks on.

These were a significant upgrade over Mucks with regard to durability and warmth for me.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.