Bobber Stops

• Josh

interested on how many of you guys use braid fo fishing slip bobbers and what bobber stops do you use to keep them from sliding on line?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Spool on mono for your slip bobbers.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Use 2 of the regular bobber stops back to back. This usually keeps them from slipping on braid.

-J.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

String or rubber slip on? I’m going to try the rubber slip on eggs this year.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Agreed on the mono. The more transparent mono line can help with live bait fishing under a slip bobber as well. For those with a more drastic hook set, fishing mono is a better fit. A braid hook set takes surprisingly little force and is overdone by many anglers.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Use 2 of the regular bobber stops back to back. This usually keeps them from slipping on braid.

-J.

WOW! I love that idea. waytogo

deertracker

String or rubber slip on? I’m going to try the rubber slip on eggs this year.

I’ve tried the rubber stops with braid. When slipping the stop up and down, the braid will eat away at the rubber and it won’t hold.
    DT

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

The more transparent mono line can help with live bait fishing under a slip bobber as well. For those with a more drastic hook set, fishing mono is a better fit. A braid hook set takes surprisingly little force and is overdone by many anglers.

Shouldnt people always be using a mono or flouro leader for all slip bobber set ups anyway? And while youre right with the overly dramatic hook sets on braid, it can also really depend on the give in the rod and length of the cast too.

I dont have 12 different rods and reels so I stick to braid for every open water technique I fish. No, not always ideal, but I make it work. With my power pro, the eyelets pull the bobber stops down the line with every fish, so I have to readjust the bobber stop each time. In the past I’ve used a permanent marker to know exactly where to adjust it back to. From now on I may be trying the two stops back to back idea.

Curt

toast Agree, never even thought of that. Thanks!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I dont have 12 different rods and reels so I stick to braid for every open water technique I fish. No, not always ideal, but I make it work. With my power pro, the eyelets pull the bobber stops down the line with every fish, so I have to readjust the bobber stop each time. In the past I’ve used a permanent marker to know exactly where to adjust it back to. From now on I may be trying the two stops back to back idea.

While you may not have 12 set-ups i’ll bet you have more than 1. Braid has it’s uses like all line. But many overdo it with braid (I’m one of those) I like mono for corkin’ & trolling cranks. I like braid for casting and trolling spoons. But thats me, i’m kinda weird and unconventional anyway. grin

Oh, and for those who troll braid……vary the amount of line out. The braid will cut grooves in the eyelets if you troll one depth all the time. I should correct this to say a “nicked eyelet” will cut through braid. Anyway, vary the line out and cut a piece off every so often.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Great video on speed corking on Mille Lacs. Brad has some good tips here. Worth the 5 minute look. peace

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thanks JJ, Brad does a nice job with his videos.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ok, now I want the ice to melt so I can try speed-corkin.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Are you guys making your own bobber stops?

eyeguy507
    SE MN
    waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Suffix Advance in 6 or 8 lb. Done.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Great video on speed corking on Mille Lacs. Brad has some good tips here. Worth the 5 minute look.

Brad and I have been perfecting this technique for the past 20 yrs. Everything in that video is spot on. He did a good job on that video.

I use 8-10# braid and a single string bobber stop. The stops don’t move unless I want them to.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

While you may not have 12 set-ups i’ll bet you have more than 1. Braid has it’s uses like all line. But many overdo it with braid (I’m one of those) I like mono for corkin’ & trolling cranks.

Thats interesting. The reason I like using braid so much really started when I made the switch from mono to braid for trolling cranks specifically.

Joe, what type of braid do you use? Better luck with a certain branded stop? I run 15 lb power pro but them stops slide like a mofo.

Another quick power corking video from Tom Boley:

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

tbro like I said i’m different. grin I like the mono for stretch when trolling Walleyes. I like braid for Pike because I want to drive the hooks home. IMO a Pikes mouth is harder, I dunno maybe i’m wrong. crazy What works for me might not work for anybody else.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Lakes like mille lacs are great for corking, especially power corking since it’s so easy to mark fish. When we do it, often times we dont even reel the lines all the way out of water. Reel up until the bobber is just past the motor. Slowly drive around until you get good marks an than bombs away and put the motor in neutral. Before we start doing this though we make sure there is fish on the structure or area we are going to fish. Our setup are similar to what Brad had in his video. Who doesn’t like watching a bobber go down!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Joe, what type of braid do you use? Better luck with a certain branded stop? I run 15 lb power pro but them stops slide like a mofo.

Here is a link to a previous thread on bobber stops. I posted a good explanation with pictures.

IDO – Bobber Stop

As for line I’ve used 10 lb Fireline but now I use 8# Sufix braid.

tbruno

I tie my own with Du Bro slip bobber knot material and always use mono on my reels for slip bobbers. Have not been able to find any other pretied knots that last for any amount of time without fraying. The Du Bro knots last me a couple of days at least.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Why does a bobber stop last all winter, but in summer they last for a week?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Casting and more eyelets.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Great video on speed corking on Mille Lacs. Brad has some good tips here. Worth the 5 minute look. peace

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”Power-bobbering for walleyes” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/CPK-PeNGgjM?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

That was a great video and helped get me on some nice fish out on Mille Lacs last year. Fun way to fish too.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Thanks JJ for the video link. Good info just like you said it would be.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.