Boat Size & Safety On The River (Newbie)

• Jesse D.

Hey all. Last year I sold my 16′ tin boat and bought a 12′ inflatable. I do a lot of fly fishing and wanted something much more manageable. I was worried about it but I love this inflatable boat. The weight capacity is higher than the 16′ and the stability is way better (which is why they are used as rescue boats I assume).

But I am hesitant to take it on the river. I suppose it’s not much different than a kayak or canoe. So assuming I keep the sides (mostly) can anyone recommend a minimum HP you’d feel safe with and any other tips or tricks for staying safe?

Thanks!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

What’s it rated for?

I saw an inflatable with a 6hp yesterday running around near the dam. Looked like he was doing just fine with the current.

I’d say wear your pfd and have an anchor in case you have motor troubles. The water is really coming down so I wouldn’t see any issues right now.

Jesse D.

It’s rated for 25hp. I’ve got 6. Looking for a 9.8/9.9.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

6 hp is a little on the light side. I say this from using a 6 on a 14′ aluminum boat. More so if you are planning on going up to the dam area. In the backwaters you’ll be fine.

There are tons of inflatables running around but most if not all have 15 hp or better.

munchy
    NULL

What did you get?
    I know of a few people who have 12 foot Nauvaranias and Zodiacs they use as dingys for their cruisers on the Mississippi. They each have from 9.9 to 25hp on them. Great little boats that we’ve used for exploring the backwaters and just cruising up and down the river when we didn’t want to take the big boats out. They are great when in motion, just drifting and a big wave comes up they can feel a bit sketchy.

Jesse D.

6 hp is a little on the light side. I say this from using a 6 on a 14′ aluminum boat. More so if you are planning on going up to the dam area. In the backwaters you’ll be fine.

There are tons of inflatables running around but most if not all have 15 hp or better.

Thanks. I agree and that’s reassuring.

Jesse D.

What did you get?
    I know of a few people who have 12 foot Nauvaranias and Zodiacs they use as dingys for their cruisers on the Mississippi. They each have from 9.9 to 25hp on them. Great little boats that we’ve used for exploring the backwaters and just cruising up and down the river when we didn’t want to take the big boats out. They are great when in motion, just drifting and a big wave comes up they can feel a bit sketchy.

I got the Saturn SD360. It was on sale and I doubled up the material on the bottom of the tubes so I could use it in backwater and rougher spots.

Drifting is certainly an issue. I caught some really big waves last year after having just bought it and it just rode the tops of them and never even took on water. That’s what settled my nerves.

Jesse D.

So what sort of anchor should I be using on this little boat to be safe on the Miss?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Oooh.
    I pushed my 17′ boat with my 4hp kicker from WI channel to the dam and back about a month ago when i broke my steering and had to get two peeps out. Water was about the same height.
    Plenty of power to move a boat.

Don’t forget an anchor. That’s a safety device should you have problems.

There’s big wakes on the river. Be cautious.

So what sort of anchor should I be using on this little boat to be safe on the Miss?

CaT River Anchor — Last anchor you’ll ever buy.
    You can also garage engineer one if you have the capability.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I got the Saturn SD360. It was on sale and I doubled up the material on the bottom of the tubes so I could use it in backwater and rougher spots.

Jesse, could you explain this please? Did you glue additional fabric to the tubes?

HRG

Jesse D.

Jesse, could you explain this please? Did you glue additional fabric to the tubes?

HRG
    [/quote]

I did. I used the heaviest denier I could find. I think it was 1100. And for the furthest back area of the tubes (where more weight might rub when beaching, etc) I used stair tread which is a similar sort of PVC.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190513_163447-02.jpeg

Jesse D.

Oooh.
    I pushed my 17′ boat with my 4hp kicker from WI channel to the dam and back about a month ago when i broke my steering and had to get two peeps out. Water was about the same height.
    Plenty of power to move a boat.

How long did that take?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

They used oars to get to the dam at one time too. LOL!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

FWIW…..I saw 3 people in one of those folding boats up in Red Wing few weeks ago. All they had was a transom trolling motor. That boat was smaller than yours!

Jesse D.

They used oars to get to the dam at one time too. LOL!

But they weren’t surrounded by dozens of a-holes in 17′ jet boats. )

Jesse D.

FWIW…..I saw 3 people in one of those folding boats up in Red Wing few weeks ago. All they had was a transom trolling motor. That boat was smaller than yours!

That’s crazy.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Be smart about where and when you go. Right now I’d take a kayak just about anywhere on the river. A month + from now on a weekend, there’s so much traffic in the channel areas of the river that this whole idea makes me nervous (and I am on the river constantly). A tuna boat plowing upstream kicks out a considerable wake. Eager boaters are always stacked up behind boats like this and barges looking for an angle to pass.

Remember that 1/2 of boaters on any nice summer weekend are likely consuming alcohol and many don’t have a ton of river experience either. There are some great fishing options far away from any river channel in some beautiful backwaters areas. That’s where I’d launch and stay on any summer weekend, but to each their own.

Jesse D.

Be smart about where and when you go. Right now I’d take a kayak just about anywhere on the river. A month + from now on a weekend, there’s so much traffic in the channel areas of the river that this whole idea makes me nervous (and I am on the river constantly). A tuna boat plowing upstream kicks out a considerable wake. Eager boaters are always stacked up behind boats like this and barges looking for an angle to pass.

Remember that 1/2 of boaters on any nice summer weekend are likely consuming alcohol and many don’t have a ton of river experience either. There are some great fishing options far away from any river channel in some beautiful backwaters areas. That’s where I’d launch and stay on any summer weekend, but to each their own.

I am equally as paranoid which is the reason for this post. I’m not going to take my 12′ boat to the dam. But if you have some backwater suggestions I am all ears.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.