Boat sales as a career?

• Jonesy

Wild hair idea I had recently about doing a complete career change.

How viable is boat salesman as a career. I’m not talking owning a dealership or being top in the region for sales type of guy. Just your average salesman. Is it a worthwhile career that you can support a middle class lifestyle on? Anybody here have any experience they wish to share or pm?

B-man

I don’t personally know anyone who does it, but I’m sure it pays the bills toast

It would be a lot more interesting than a lot of other sales jobs, but I’d imagine it could be tough during a recession, especially if it pays on commission (but many other jobs can be too).

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

If you can find a place that handles both boats and ATV`s and lets you sell both I think a person that can read people can make a good living.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

To be successful in sales it’s a 24 / 7 deal these days. Prospective customers expect questions answered almost immediately yet are afraid of a face to face conversation. In other words you need to answer 3 billion e-mails and texts. Then maybe on a good day you can get them into the dealership to kick the tires. Then they will say they need to run it past the wife. Then they will say they found boat X 1,000 miles away during a internet search. At a lower asking price.

Yes, sales work is great in 2019.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

To be successful in sales it’s a 24 / 7 deal these days. Prospective customers expect questions answered almost immediately yet are afraid of a face to face conversation. In other words you need to answer 3 billion e-mails and texts. Then maybe on a good day you can get them into the dealership to kick the tires. Then they will say they need to run it past the wife. Then they will say they found boat X 1,000 miles away during a internet search. At a lower asking price.

Yes, sales work is great in 2019.

You hit the nail on the head.

Sales today are so much less about face-to-face interactions and making people comfortable and more about being available non-stop around the clock as a convenience factor. The problem is that it is significantly harder to sift through who is an actual interested buyer with the means to buy versus someone who is just curious or gets a joy out of looking and telling their buddies they are looking at boats.

The internet with all the used sales sites and social media makes everyone an “expert”. Dealing with self-proclaimed experts is a burden, to say the least.

With the economy relatively stable with some growth, sales may be trending upwards for recreational purchases. However, for every period of growth there are times with a decline. I would not have wanted to pay my bills selling expensive recreational items 10-12 years ago.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sales can offer a bit of freedom however I don’t think recreational equipment offers that. During the prime boat sales is when you would also like to be fishing, or working on your yard. Not stuck in a dealership trying to sell a boat.

If you are looking to make a decent living in sales you need to be all in and be dedicated. Your first move might be selling YOUR boat. jester

I don’t wanna come off as a a$$ but sales is a tough racket and boat, atv, snowmobile sales are tougher yet imo. It’s not for everyone. I have been in sales one way or another for nearly 40 years and know the upside and the downside.

But if sales are in your blood go for it. It can be fun & rewarding setting people up with the toys of their dreams.

Ice Cap

You will work evenings and weekends. A friend of mine works for a power sports dealership. Snowmobiles, Atv’s Utv’s boats, pontoons, docks, trailers and accessories for all the above.

He also has to help at the sports shows setting up displays then be there for 12 hours a day for 3 or more days of the show selling and then help tear down and trailer boats and other equipment back to the dealership. Nothing glamorous about it but he makes a good living. But when the rest of us are out playing on the stuff he sells he never seems to be around.

Selling cars, rv’s boats etc is pretty cut throat. Some of the salesmen would push gramma down the stairs to sell something. We just bought a destination trailer to put up on the lake property last week and these salesmen were like vultures.

My friend says where he works it’s not bad but he tells story’s about salesmen at other places nearly come to blows because one stole a customer from the other one while he was on his day off.

If you got a decent job I’d keep it.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

It certainly is a viable option , but ONLY if it is something you want to do and it is far from a structured 40 hr / week career if you are to be above average.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

I applied for a boat sales job about 13 years ago when I was looking for something to get me by a few years till retirement. What I found out was that (with this dealer) you could make a lot of money but you would work a lot of hours during the preseason and boating season. The big money is not in fishing boats but cruisers, houseboats and sport boats. To make the big bucks you would have to work for a well known high volumn dealer and work the boat shows, weekends and after 5 to be available for customers on their free time. You would also have to find a dealer that treats their employees/sales staff fairly. I personaly didn’t want to trade the money for my time with family and fishing at that point in my life.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

How viable is boat salesman as a career. I’m not talking owning a dealership or being top in the region for sales type of guy. Just your average salesman. Is it a worthwhile career that you can support a middle class lifestyle on? Anybody here have any experience they wish to share or pm?

My take is how old are you and what is your goals beyond supporting a middle class lifestyle? Are you comfortable with your current financial position and retirement plan to make the switch? Having been the primary sales guy for my company, it’s like alot of them stated, it’s a 24/7 job as most people order on weekends or after traditional work hours. Also in the big picture, as also someone stated, we are due for a recession within the next 12 months, are you prepared to weather that storm because it is coming. Also the reality in the market is that the last 5 years and maybe the next year probably represents the high point in the market. With 10,000 baby boomers retiring each day, the market and the interest in boats has probably peaked, maybe the same for alot of things. I believe this is why you are seeing a lot of consolidation in the outdoors markets these days. Not that any other field has it’s risks but it takes time to build up a clientele. My dealer is the only one I will deal with however I have been working with them since 1988. In sales confidence is key and truth be told, if you are competent, if it don’t work out there are plenty of opportunities for an individual that has some moxi, so if you answer the first question honestly, I’d say go for it but have Plan B for sure.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jonesy wrote:</div>

My take is how old are you and what is your goals beyond supporting a middle class lifestyle? Are you comfortable with your current financial position and retirement plan to make the switch? Having been the primary sales guy for my company, it’s like alot of them stated, it’s a 24/7 job as most people order on weekends or after traditional work hours. Also in the big picture, as also someone stated, we are due for a recession within the next 12 months, are you prepared to weather that storm because it is coming. Also the reality in the market is that the last 5 years and maybe the next year probably represents the high point in the market. With 10,000 baby boomers retiring each day, the market and the interest in boats has probably peaked, maybe the same for alot of things. I believe this is why you are seeing a lot of consolidation in the outdoors markets these days. Not that any other field has it’s risks but it takes time to build up a clientele. My dealer is the only one I will deal with however I have been working with them since 1988. In sales confidence is key and truth be told, if you are competent, if it don’t work out there are plenty of opportunities for an individual that has some moxi, so if you answer the first question honestly, I’d say go for it but have Plan B for sure.

Tons of good points here. My thoughts are that if someone is on the fence about getting into sales when the market is doing pretty well, then there’s no way I’d make the switch. Worse days and risks will always be on the horizon, as Dave pointed out.

I too am of the thinking that the markets and economy as a whole are going to substantially level-off in the next 18-24 months. Some technology growth may help with the widespread 5G infrastructure advancements, but other than that things seem to be about “as good as their going to get” related to growth when you take into account recent tax cuts, low interest rates, etc.

For those who are into studying the economy or did in their younger years (call me a nerd – it’s fine), the relationship between short term and long term interest rates (AKA Yield Curve) has been one of the most accurate indicators of economic downturns throughout history. For those who believe in this formula and data…odds are they would be predicting a measurable economic downturn in ~18-24 months.

Deuces

For those who believe in this formula and data…odds are they would be predicting a measurable economic downturn in ~18-24 months.

Fake news….

Insert orange face grin

holstc

If you have any interest in Information technology I would retool in this space. Software Development, Data Science, etc.. Pay is good and you have ample opportunities to work remote. A couple years in school busting your tail and you will be good to go.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

How important are benefits? I’m not sure that they’re that great with straight commission jobs. I was a realtor for 20+ years, talk about economic impact! People have no concept what time of day it is when it comes to they’re home.
    Darn hard work but I’m 58 and retired.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

For those who are into studying the economy or did in their younger years (call me a nerd – it’s fine), the relationship between short term and long term interest rates (AKA Yield Curve) has been one of the most accurate indicators of economic downturns throughout history. For those who believe in this formula and data…odds are they would be predicting a measurable economic downturn in ~18-24 months.

Does this formula only work on downturns? If not, did it predict the major upswing we are experiencing? I don’t remember anyone saying just a few years ago “Hang on for just a little bit longer, things are about to get awesome!”

Did they also prdict the agricultural downturn we are experiencing? Things aren’t rosy everywhere.

Ice Cap

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    For those who believe in this formula and data…odds are they would be predicting a measurable economic downturn in ~18-24 months.

Fake news….

Insert orange face grin

“Ah, those jobs of the past well they just aren’t going to come back”
    3.9% unemployment lowest in 49 years. Many of you probably haven’t been around that long. I would say it’s a good environment to be in sales of any kind. My son is a real estate broker and he is border line filthy rich the last several years have been career years for him. mrgreen

If the orange man gets another 4 there will be money to be made if you want to participate in a booming economy.

But to the op’s question. I wouldn’t worry about whether or not you can make money selling boats you can. It’s just are there better and easier ways of making money and right now the answer is yes. But if boats and selling boats is your passion then no time is better than the present. Best of luck to you!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

It seems as though the OP has been scared off by all these posts, he hasn’t been back.

Jonesy

It seems as though the OP has been scared off by all these posts, he hasn’t been back.

Nope just stupidly busy with kids sports and work.

I appricate everybody’s input. It’s something I think of from time to time but really don’t think I’d ever do it. Was just having one of those days at work when I posted it.

David Blais

I don’t think it would take long to have a bad day as a boat salesman. It seems factories are always behind and the salesman gets the blunt end of that

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Regardless of what your selling I would say the company, staff, supervisor, and work environment would affect your enjoyment much more then what you’re selling. If you end up considering it I would find out as much as possible about a typical day in the role. Having worked in retail and business to business I wouldn’t be overly excited to go back into retail. Sales now a days is all about relationships, trust, and helping people. It’s definitely not the old school bad obnoxious sales cliches of the past. Which is good. You can reach a lot of clients very easily with modern technology, and if someone is crooked the word spreads everywhere.
    Find a job where you look forward to going to work each day.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.