Boat purchasing

• Nick

I been torn on what direction to go on buying a boat. I have boating experience. I prefer 17-18 foot. I have an infant at home that will eventually make his way in there, so I need to keep that in mind for space etc. I think I am set on windshield for comfort for the wife.
    Real question is. The price of used boats are so high.. which is great for resell. But for the buyer I am torn on new versus used. The demand is at an all time high as well.
    Looking for advice.

Looking to purchase this fall or early next year

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

It all depends on what you want and your budget. Also your timing. Are you hoping to have it for this season? Glass or aluminum?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m not saying don’t buy a boat with a newborn, but if I were in your situation (my kids are 9 and 7 now), I’d really take some time to think about it. With the ridiculous prices and demand for boats now, will you use it enough this year to justify the cost?
    Maybe waiting a year for things to simmer down is a better option.
    That’s only a question you can answer.
    I’m not saying either decision is the right one, but I just wanted to offer up something to consider.

Nick

Kids almost a year now, infant I should say.
    Yeah I am waiting a year for sure. With the inflation that is about to hit,maybe used is the only option in the next few years. New boats will be 3-5% higher I’d assume and I’m guessing the financing will be out of the roof for interest.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m not saying don’t buy a boat with a newborn, but if I were in your situation (my kids are 9 and 7 now), I’d really take some time to think about it. With the ridiculous prices and demand for boats now, will you use it enough this year to justify the cost?
    Maybe waiting a year for things to simmer down is a better option.
    That’s only a question you can answer.
    I’m not saying either decision is the right one, but I just wanted to offer up something to consider.

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve got a 1 year old. She’s far and away the greatest part of our lives.

With that said, in the last year I’d bet I fished not even half of what I did the year prior to her arrival. I knew this and understood that my hobbies will forever take a backseat to my children without hesitation. I already had a boat so I wasn’t in your position. If I was looking at a new boat, I would’ve quickly pumped the brakes and waited. A few years later the little one could be old enough to help squeeze mom for a new boat in a well orchestrated effort. You should see my wife melt when she pulls into the garage and my 1 year old is sitting in the boat playing and “driving” full of smiles devil

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I had my new born in the boat daily on small lakes in my area. It made everyone in the family happy to be out. I already had a boat at the time and our hobby was already fishing. Our outings were not long days but it was still lots of fun. Now my son is 9 and he is one heck of a ” deck hand ” I also run tillers and never have wanted windshield. The extra room is priceless with kids in the boat.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I also wouldn’t even consider buying a boat right now in this market. But thats just me. I don’t buy anything in a “inflated” market

Musky Ed

For your situation, I’m with Ralph for these times. It’s a crazy boat market right now, that hopefully will settle out in the next few years. With a newborn at home, who knows how much time you actually have this year anyway. Do you have friends that fish, that you could go with at times? If not, you might want to consider putting it out there where you live, and that you are looking for someone to go fishing with at times. You may make lasting friendships. I have messaged posters that are looking for info, or someone to go out with in areas where I typically fish. Also when launching by myself one day early summer, got talking to the lady working at a launch that I use, and she mentioned her high school age son would love to go fishing. Ended up taking him out a few times and it was really nice, but then he got a summer job. There are opportunities out there.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

You think boat prices are high right now wait till 2022. Steal/Aluminum and raw materials are at a all time high right because of COVID (think 2×4 lumber). Think about how much Lund and Alumacraft are getting quotes to start buying materials for next year. $$$$$

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m in a very similar situation, with a 2 month old and 3 year old at home and looking at an 18′ full windshield. Financially we could easily afford buying now, but doubtful on how much use it would get this summer plus the inflated market has us holding off. End of this year or early next I’ll have more cash on hand to pull the trigger if I come across a good and reasonably priced used option, and if not we will be ordering new. For the minimal savings in buying slightly used it doesn’t make sense to potentially be buying someone else’s problem, I’d rather spend the extra 5-10k on new and have dealer support for any issues out of the box. Just my .02

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Kids or no kids- life is too short to be without a boat or several. Even a 14′ tin with trolling motor or a small gas is better than shore or the couch. IMO get SOMETHING. It doesn’t have to financially cripple a guy. It doesn’t have to be your dream boat. And it sure as hell doesn’t have to keep up with the Jones’s.

Nick

Understood! The inflation is scary. But there will never be a cheaper time. Steel prices go up, they will stick it to the consumers. That goes houses, trucks, cars, boats, atvs etc. they won’t get any cheaper. Never have, never will. I plan to put 10-15k down, finding what and when is the biggest deal. Part of my wants to go new and just run it for 10-15 years. Part of me wants to risk it on a used boat. I guess you take a risk with anything

Smoker
    Blaine, Minnesota

I’d buy a boat now if you can afford it. If you think you may keep it 10 yrs get one big enough for your future needs. While availability may increase I don’t think prices will ever go down. Other then some electronics nothing else has in the last 30 yrs. Get one with a full windshield, much more comfortable for the wife and kids and it won’t hinder your fishing.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I went through this a couple years ago….the market was a bit different but you have two considerations. One is the financial side and the other is the family side. Get the family thing squared away first…..what type of boat will suit your family best? We ended up going with a glass boat (1850 Reata) for a few different reasons but comfort was the biggest. I had an 18′ aluminum boat and my wife hated the ride and did not want our daughter in it(Lund Pro Angler with a windshield). Our daughter was 3 at the time.

Think about how you intend to use the boat in 5-7 years when your kid is old enough to actually use the boat….tube, fish, cruise, etc? It was a mix of all for us so the Reata was the right choice.

Once you figre out the family dynamics it’s purely a financial decision….what fits your needs and what can you afford? I don’t pay much attention to what *might* happen in the future. If you want a family boat now then buy a boat. There will always be economic factors that influence your decision postively or negatively.

Good luck….buying a boat is a fun process but can be overwhelming.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I been torn on what direction to go on buying a boat. I have boating experience. I prefer 17-18 foot. I have an infant at home that will eventually make his way in there, so I need to keep that in mind for space etc. I think I am set on windshield for comfort for the wife.
    Real question is. The price of used boats are so high.. which is great for resell. But for the buyer I am torn on new versus used. The demand is at an all time high as well.
    Looking for advice.

Looking to purchase this fall or early next year

While everyone has different priorities and opinions, I believe its safe to say that the 22 model year new will be seeing a significant price increase due to supplier inflation conditions. Also, if going new, pre plan our order as the timelines are just simply longer….

Used market ? The extra nice ones always bring a premium and are in high demand…..

Regardless of what you decide, I encourage you to do it right the first time which hopefully will minimize your long term cost of ownership. This coming from a guy that bought the wrong boat several times for what I perceived as the “DEAL”…

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Never put off doing something you enjoy waiting for the right moment. Not having a boat for a year or more is a year you will never get back. You don’t know what a boat cost you until you sell it. Buy a good popular product, take good care of it, use the hell out of it and you’ll come out fine. In my case, I did a lot of hunting and fishing when my two boys were infants and pre school but was home every night giving them my attention. Once they got into school is when a lot of my free time was spent with them supporting their activities like sports, scouts, etc.

Stanley

I would say get one now if you want to. The 10-15k you want to put down on new could buy you a used one now and with the market the way it is you could sell if you don’t use it like you think and not loose much if any money. As far as the kids go we have had ours in the boat before they could walk. We bought new this year but that was because we wanted a different boat not to jump on the bandwagon and went the full windshield route from a side counsel. (Still have my old tiller also) I am lucky as my wife will come fishing with me whenever and has also tried to get the kids to stay home so just the two of us can go but that usually doesn’t go over well with the kids. rotflol

I’ll also add that buying the right boat (new or used) makes a big difference in the use it gets. I bought my first boat when I was 17. A 16 foot 25hp tiller. After getting married and having kids it was used less and less each year because it just got too small and the wife was worried if we got a new boat we wouldn’t use it since we had one we didn’t use, well we bought one big enough we thought and used it more in a year than we used the old one in the last 5yrs and are now going bigger again. The right boat opens many other recreational opportunities for the family besides just fishing.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

IMO, if you are buying new, now is going to be cheaper than later. If you are set on buying used then I would wait a few years. Used boat prices seem to fluctuate more, new only goes up.

Bought our first boat new, 16.5′, too small. but was a good boat for us and I just sold it, 16 years later. For $5K less then I bought it for. It will be good for another 20 years easy.

If I would have bought an 18′ boat then I would only be looking at electronics now. 2 sons (11 and 14), wife, puggle

My new boat will arrive soon. I will have it for 30+ years. Lots of priceless memories will be made.

Good luck in your decision.

Steve Johnson

I guess I will jump on the other side of this- When I was a kid, we had no boat at all- we fished from the bank until I was in junior high, then we got a canoe.
    Don’t use inflation to talk yourself into a boat you have to finance. We are in a bubble now- outdoor stuff is bid up because that is all we could do for the last year. Campers, RVs, boats, snowmobiles, pickups- all are at a high. In a year or 2 there will be a glut of used stuff as people drift away to other activities.
    I would get something simple and basic that you can start with, that you will not lose too much on, and wait a few years until prices normalize. Remember too, that there is nothing like owning a boat to answer many of the questions you have.
    A boat is an expensive toy- even without a payment. They always need something. Remember too that the economy will not be what is was before this- people moved, changed habits, and some businesses are not coming back. Once the stimulus stops coming, we will see what we really have, then we can start paying back all the borrowing of the last year.
    Gosh- this sounds depressing, but I would not like to see anyone taking on years of payments to buy a boat during a price bubble.

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

A boat is not an investment. Don’t look at it as if you are over paying. The only mistake it could be is if it sits in you’re driveway all summer. Go have a blast. You’ll be surprised how many new friends you get once you get a boat.

If you love to boat, fish or watersports, you will not regret having a boat that is available to use any time you want. It’s an instant vacation once you hit the water. Your heartbeat slows down a big smile pops out and you are king of the world!

The first 5 years after buying my boat I was out on the water 3-4 times each week. Made it worth it instantly for me.

There is another option. There is a boat club here in MN, that you can join that lets you take out their boats and no worries when it comes trailering the boat or getting gas. They prepare it for you.

Not sure where you reside.

Good luck on your decision.

pass0047
    Pool4

Life is to short not to own a boat. I did not fish nearly as much with a 0-2 year in the house but I enjoyed the times out more then ever. Buy a boat to get u by and get your dream boat in the near future.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I love the gamut of responses. Basically, pick whichever response you like best and go with it. 😂

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I love the gamut of responses. Basically, pick whichever response you like best and go with it. 😂

For me I new exactly what I wanted as I was not about to buy new, I kept looking and searching took about 2 years before I found what I was looking for used have had that boat for 21 years still luv the boat and will probably die with it.

blackbay
    mn

If you have a secure job, can make all your payments, your family is healthy, you have a good amount of savings left after your down payment, well then buy the boat.

ozzyky
    On water

My kids are hooked on fishing and love being on the water….last summer that happened even more because of the wonderful pandemic…..the boat worked but wasn’t ideal for all of us to fish out of….so when mama said we should think about getting a bigger boat I didn’t argue….can’t wait. Picking it up in a couple weeks

Attachments:
    1. 98BF282B-08B3-4D9B-961E-95D48B209123.png

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I agree on the windshield for sure with kids and family. Get a Bimini top too for shade. Trust me on this. Kids can and will take a nap on the boat and you will want them out if the sun and/or elements

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Kids can and will take a nap on the boat

Ha! My kids never did, but my nephew falls asleep in the boat all the time. It’s nice. grin

iowa_josh

My little lady just turned 5. The only easy thing is jumping in my friend’s boat. No worries about gas or bait or tires or whatever I went solo some and sometimes without a hitch but not weekly by any means and every trip is short. Shore fishing is more entertaining for the kid by far. Dragging a screaming kid out the door is not relaxing. Sometimes it was just not possible.

gonefishin

We had our first boat, a Smokercraft 161 Magnum, when our two boys were 2 and 4 years old. We used that boat for the next 18 years. Our two year old didn’t care to fish and mainly played with toys and the tackle-box. Our 4 year old kept losing so many Snoopy Poles that we started tying a stringer around the pole and to his waste. We would take the hooks off of daredevils and he would cast for hours. Once a boat came by a little close and ended up with a daredevil in their boat. We were avid fisherman and the boys also tubed from that boat. Consider the lakes you will be on, on smaller lakes and lakes in the TC a A 16′ in my view is plenty big enough for a starter or even longer. While an 18′ or longer fiberglass or aluminum is nice, surely not necessary. Also just look at the price of used boats. When you go to sell, if you have taken care of the boat, it will still fetch a very good price.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I agree on the windshield for sure with kids and family. Get a Bimini top too for shade. Trust me on this. Kids can and will take a nap on the boat and you will want them out if the sun and/or elements

My kids always sleep in the front of my tiller. Or back of my truck

Attachments:
    1. 20210504_131211-scaled.jpg

2. 20200306_131054-scaled.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.