Boat Plug Advice

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I have an old 14′ 50s era cadalllic aluminum boat. I lost the drain plug for it and want to get it out of Stickers yard and start using it. It uses something goofy. Similar to the 1/2″ NPT brass plugs, but I bought one thinking it may be the same size but it was much too small.

I would like to not replace the drain assembly if I don’t have too. I would also like to avoid making some jenky bolt and nut on the other side, plug. I like the fact that I can pull the plug when on plane and drain the boat with that lil scoop under the plug.

Thoughts on where to find one? I have checked the internets pretty good and haven’t found much.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Edit, I have found some 3/4″ and 1″ NPT plugs, so maybe that would work. I guess I’ll take some measurements. Still open to suggestions.

404 ERROR
    MN

Moeller Marine makes rubber plugs to fit just about any size drain hole. Some of the smaller ones are baitwell plugs, but they obviously work the same. That’s if you’re ok with using a rubber plug on a threaded hole.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You’ve got to be able to find a threaded plug to fit. Might be a little trial and error–save your receipts!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Replaced my drain assembly this winter, pretty easy just to do and no running around searching.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Jb Weld

Thought crossed my mind. But then I am technically illegal, and I would also need to put in a bilge pump.

Ralph, I think that’s the route I will go.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>wildbeaver wrote:</div>
    Jb Weld

Thought crossed my mind. But then I am technically illegal, and I would also need to put in a bilge pump.

Ralph, I think that’s the route I will go.

Only have to pull a drain plug if you have a drain plug!

But yeah, that would be stupid especially if you have leaks. If the 1″ is still slightly too small, and I’m sure you are aware, you can tighten the nut to make them slightly larger if that helps.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

If the 1″ is still slightly too small, and I’m sure you are aware, you can tighten the nut to make them slightly larger if that helps.

He’s got a thread-in plug.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bob clowncolor wrote:</div>
    If the 1″ is still slightly too small, and I’m sure you are aware, you can tighten the nut to make them slightly larger if that helps.

He’s got a thread-in plug.

Then I would jd well those thread smooth and use a tradition plug. Easy. Simple. And it’ll make getting replacements and spares easy.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

ohhhh “boat plug”! carry on

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

ohhhh “boat plug”! carry on

rotflol

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Then I would jd well those thread smooth and use a tradition plug. Easy. Simple. And it’ll make getting replacements and spares easy.

OHHHH now you have got my ear. I like this Bob!

Iowaboy1

I had an old polarcraft 18′ flat bottom that had those style of plugs,not only to drain it with but two in the livewell also.
    they are not a tapered pipe plug,in fact its a straight threaded affair with a gasket on it much like a drain plug in an oil pan.
    if I remember right one out of an old ford straight six was a direct fit but they were not brass.
    a little anti-seize on the threads and no worries.
    might want to go the parts store with your measurement and see if they have one or two in their drain plug assortment kit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.