Boat landing blunders

• Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

30-35ft dual I/O glass boat buried on the Carson’s bay boat ramp, transom destroyed, motors destroyed, opener night with me waiting on the water behind. Watched it happen.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Boat blunder…I once just float the boat away without me.

Yeah, I had to get wet to get the boat.

tim hurley

Fished 2 connected lakes very low bridge to get to the 2nd lake, no problem on the way there, fished ’till dark, destroyed my stern light on the way back, took me a while to even realize what the grinding sound was.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

I had a spring clip on the bow eye that somehow popped open when I pushed the boat off the trailer. I stood there with the rope in my hand inventing new curse words. Not a soul in sight. I stripped down, swam out to the boat and climbed in. Now I use a crossover clip on the rope and check it every time I launch.

michael keehr

I’ve done the steering stops once and the boat plug once. Boat plug I thought I was a goner. Was on mille lacs by myself 1700 pro v no auto bilge. Made it out to 8 m I’m mile jumped up front put trolling motor down began to fish. Couldn’t figure out why it kept taking more power to maintain .6 looked back water is a foot and a half above floor. Panic can’t find said plug. Fire up motor hit gas back of boat under. Back off and ease into it can see water flowing out so just maintain. Make it close to landing have to do a couple circles to get all water out. Beach boat find plug back out I go lol. I was legit scared for a little bit.

Musky Ed

In almost 50 years of boating, I’ve seen it all, and done some of it , not just once, but more than once at times. Left keys home once, plug not in, still do once a year or so, forget to unhook transom straps only once. Embarrassing at times, but lets you know nobody is perfect. Very few actions get me upset at the ramp anymore. If I see people struggling at backing up at the ramp, I always get out and offer to help. Usually the men are too proud to accept, but I have learned to always ask the wife. No reason to be upset at someone struggling, and will always try and give them a few helpful pointers for the future. As to the wife and kids holding the boat at the dock while their husband parks the trailer, they just either don’t know better, or are too uncomfortable in moving the boat out of the way. if it’s a long pier at the ramp, I may get out and ask them nicely if they could walk the boat back to the end to make room for me to launch. There just is no reason to be upset at new, unexperienced boaters. What does rile me up are experienced boaters that blow around you at the staging lane, and jump out to get their boat ready at the ramp. I am fortunate that I usually only fish on week days, but at times do have to go on weekends, and if its a busy holiday, you just know before you get there what it will be like.

michael keehr

One other one 1995 I was working at a marine dealership while going to tech school. We get a call from a couple that just bought a boat, they can’t get the boat to go. They are at a local lake so our mechanic says come on I may need you to drive the boat while I mess with the motor. We get there boat is at the dock so we jump in and go. Motor revs nice sounds good but will not plane out just plows. We get back to dock and as I reach for dock I notice trailer tongue. The unhooked the trailer from the truck left transom straps and bow tightened down. Can’t believe it moved at all. Lol we laughed for years at that one

Netguy
    Minnetonka

This was one I saved from another website about 18 years ago. One of the best ones ever.

This tale takes place about 20 years ago on 4th of July at Lake Independence, a regional park west of Mpls. Four fellows were cruising the lake all day in an obviously-new 19ft runabout. Beautiful boat!
    4PM, weather moving in from the west, and 50-60 boats start jockeying to leave the lake.
    4 guys with runabout back their trailer down the ramp, the tow vehicle an obviously-new Chrysler LeBaron convertible (rear wheel drive/bumper mounted ball). Beautiful car! Guys don’t wanna get the car wet, so they stop with trailer short of the water, unhook, manhandle the trailer down into the water, and load the boat on the unhooked trailer (no tongue jack, by the way).
    Then they tie a 1/4th-inch nylon rope from the trailer to the ball hitch, gonna snatch it outa the water, then hook up on higher ground. Guy gets in car, eases forward until rope taut, then guns it.
    Rope breaks.
    It’s a long rope. 4 guys huddle to plan next move. Decide to run the rope back and forth many times between ball-hitch and trailer. Guy gets in car, eases forward until rope taut, then guns it.
    Tires smoking.
    Guy backs up putting slack in rope, and GUNS it. Trailer moves forward maybe a foot, tongue digging down into sand lakebottom.
    Tires smoking.
    4 guys huddle to plan next move. Open trunk of convertible.
    3 big guys jump in trunk of convertible for traction, little skinny guy gets behind the wheel.
    Obviously unfamiliar with this car, it rolls backward several feet when he releases brake. Little guy panics, floors it (several feet of slack). Loud bang, boat moves forward maybe another foot, digging further into sand, rear bumper separates from car. Stretched nylon rope launches bumper like a spear into bow of beautiful new runabout. Loss of resistance launches new Chrysler LeBaron convertible forward — three guys fall out of trunk onto concrete ramp — and the car impacts sturday oak tree. Bruises and contusions, but luckily nobody hurt. Boat totaled, and major damage to pretty new convertible.

milemark_714

Fished 2 connected lakes very low bridge to get to the 2nd lake, no problem on the way there, fished ’till dark, destroyed my stern light on the way back, took me a while to even realize what the grinding sound was.

I shortened my stern light on a railroad bridge years ago.A guy I went out with last year did the same,forgot to tell him to remove it.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

This thread is great fun to read and unfortunately have done them almost all though never hit a tree. Most embarrassing is on Rainy lake I had just installed a Drotto on the trailer and could not get the boat off the trailer. Was convinced that the Drotto was not working correctly as only thing different on the trailer since last launch. So in out, pulling on the cord, inventing new swear word combinations when I guy launching next to me says the transom straps are still attached. doah

dirtywater

There just is no reason to be upset at new, unexperienced boaters. What does rile me up are experienced boaters that blow around you at the staging lane, and jump out to get their boat ready at the ramp.

Completely agree with that statement. EVERYONE is inexperienced at some point. I have all the patience in the world for those folks. Much less patience for arrogant, selfish, big-shots.

For my part. I once forgot the plug AND almost dropped the boat on the ramp in a single 10-minute time period. The plug was back in the truck. I was solo, so the truck and trailer were thankfully still on the ramp waiting to be moved when I realized what I’d done. So I was luckily able to just pull it right back onto the trailer. Crazy, I thought. I started moving my rig away from the ramp and I hear a loud “click,” look at my mirror and the boat is slowly rolling off the trailer. Set the e-brake, ran back to the winch stand and just barely caught the spinning handle before the lower unit hit the cement. I had neglected to connect the safety chain in my rush to get it outta the water, and apparently didn’t properly set the winch stop either. Some guys across the lot saw it happen and thankfully ran over to help me out. I wish I had a photo. The bow was way up in the air. We had one guy pushing from the transom, one guy pulling the bow down a bit, and me winching the boat all the way back onto the trailer. Close call. When things go wrong it’s important to keep your head so you don’t compound your mistakes. Easier said than done.

Another one — this summer I took my daughter and 2 friends for a little birthday cruise and we stopped on an island to swim and explore. Miss river. I’ve done this a million times and didn’t do anything differently this time, still don’t know what happened. All I know is I’m glad I turned around and looked when I did. My boat had come loose off the bank and was just starting to drift off. It was about 30 seconds from hitting the real current and I would’ve just had to watch it float downstream. Pulled my best David Hasselhoff, threw off the tshirt, into the water for the rescue. My daughter and her friends were standing on shore like shock

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There just is no reason to be upset at new, unexperienced boaters.

I guess the issue I have with this is that busy accesses are no place for inexperienced boaters. Don’t take your rig to an access on opener when there’s 10 people in line. Learn when it’s not busy. I didn’t do it when I was first learning because I didn’t want to be “that guy” holding things up.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Musky Ed wrote:</div>

I guess the issue I have with this is that busy accesses are no place for inexperienced boaters. Don’t take your rig to an access on opener when there’s 10 people in line. Learn when it’s not busy. I didn’t do it when I was first learning because I didn’t want to be “that guy” holding things up.

Who cares what they do. If they are excited to go out then so be it. No one cares if you wanted to be that guy or not. Just be respectful and thats all you can do. Help a guy out

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

^ Agreed. If the guy needs to launch his boat while his wife needs to hold it then it is what it is. I’m that guy for the record. Back in just as quick as anyone else, but my wife isn’t comfortable driving the boat on her own, so she holds it on the dock while I park quick. She is just as excited as anyone to get out there and fish, but lacks the confidence to help at the ramp.

dirtywater

First launch of first ever boat, White Bear Lake 11am on a sunny July Saturday. But ya know what, someone still helped me at the ramp and made me feel a little better about myself instead of rolling their eyes or criticizing others to make themselves feel big and important.

Also, If you won’t want a slow launch experience then maybe don’t fish the opener jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

“Learn when it’s not busy” lol — most of the time we learn via experience. I know I did. First launch of first ever boat, White Bear Lake 11am on a sunny July Saturday. But ya know what, someone still helped me at the ramp and made me feel a little better about myself instead of rolling their eyes or criticizing others to make themselves feel big and important.

Also if you won’t want a slow launch experience then maybe don’t fish the opener jester

It gets annoying for everyone. Between the experienced and not so much. A little help goes a long ways. But you will always get guys like him who think they deserve more then you. They are the best ones to hold up. And then watch him struggle solo thinking they are king

dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dirty Water wrote:</div>

“Learn when it’s not busy” lol — most of the time we learn via experience. I know I did. First launch of first ever boat, White Bear Lake 11am on a sunny July Saturday. But ya know what, someone still helped me at the ramp and made me feel a little better about myself instead of rolling their eyes or criticizing others to make themselves feel big and important.

Also if you won’t want a slow launch experience then maybe don’t fish the opener jester

It gets annoying for everyone. Between the experienced and not so much. A little help goes a long ways. But you will always get guys like him who think they deserve more then you. They are the best ones to hold up. And then watch him struggle solo thinking they are king

“It gets annoying for everyone” — heck yes, that’s just life right? Humans are annoying creatures. My 10yo daughter has been on a kick lately, talking about how ANNOYING everyone is. I snapped at her the other day. To be annoyed or not is a choice and your life will be better if you choose to let that junk pass you by.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I once parked my 14 foot v bottom perfectly ON the dock… Long story that involved starting the old motor in gear and full throttle.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

This Blunder happened at the Bluffs Park launch back when Daylight savings time started in April. (So early/mid 2000’s) St Croix opener. Park is set to open at 6am. We get to the park gate about 5:45am. 2-3 rigs lined up from the south, 2-3 from the north. We pull up and get in line.

The gate at the park is an auto timed / auto operated gate that is set to swing open at 6am.

6am, now about 20 rigs lined up on the road. Gate still closed.

6:15. 30 plus rigs, nearing the amount that would fill all spaces for trucks/boats. Gate still closed.

6:30. Still closed. Guys out of trucks getting boats ready. Tempers getting short. I hear 911 has been called. One guy thinks there is someone asleep in the office. He jumps the gate and off he goes to knock on doors.

6:45 Some rigs give up and leave. Other still showing up an getting in line. The Sheriff has arrived.

6:55. Some lady who I find out late is a part employee shows up. Says she can’t do anything. We wait.

7am. Park gate swing open automatically like it was suppose to at 6am. Cheering breaks out. The mad dash to the ramp ensues.

Later when we have pulled out we stop at the park office to ask what happened? Turns out no one ever re-set the time on the gate after daylight savings took effect.

Blunder!

-J.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dirty Water wrote:</div>

“It gets annoying for everyone” — heck yes, that’s just life right? Humans are annoying creatures. My 10yo daughter has been on a kick lately, talking about how ANNOYING everyone is. I snapped at her the other day. To be annoyed or not is a choice and your life will be better if you choose to let that junk pass you by.

Yes exactly. I agree. And its always a way to learn. If its the wrong or right way the parents help that process on how to treat people.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

-5 °F right now–how I wish it were summer and I was waiting in line at a landing today.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’ve left the plug out a couple times. Launched with a dead battery after leaving the key on a couple times. But, the best was trying to duplicate the Minnkota commercial with a gen 2 Terrova. Remote had a range of about 30’, boat was at 35’. Luckily, the guys launching after me helped me out! lol

And I’ve enjoyed watching this plenty of times. Usually with his better half offering words of encouragement.
    Peter’s boat launch

Stanley

I have had a few over the years. Launched the boat with my wife and went to park the truck when I get back she’s swimming after it. The bow line came unhooked and the boat started floating away. Another time just got a new boat that required a key to start after 17yrs of not needing a key. Made the 2hr trip to the lake and no key, now I have a spare set in the truck. I have had the auto bilge kick in a time or two when launching from forgetting the plug.

Worse I have seen was we were camping at a resort with their own launch and a family launched their boat and tied it to the dock to come back shortly and find it on the bottom of the lake. They forgot to put the plug in and the resort owner had to take apart the dock where they were parked so it could be towed out of the lake from shore.

Jim Clark
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I always felt that a person with a video camera, stationed at a busy boat landing on the opening day of fishing season. would be able to make a spin-off of America’s Funniest Home Videos…

While working Sheriff’s Boat Patrol years ago, I also saw more than enough people fall flat on their backsides onto their trailer frame while walking on it, trying to connect to their boat…The local chiropractors must’ve been busy that following day…!

Dan Baker

My first time out a few years ago, i had the wife and kids in the boat to back off and pick me up after I parked. I came back to find them drifting away across the lake. The motor wouldn’t trim down so they had now prop in the water. I had to catch a ride to them from a guy at the launch. Turned out I forgot to re-attach the trim control wire to the battery.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

ok I’ll bite. July 5th 2020. Got up early to get some fishing in before the family came out for some tubing. Put the boat in, walked it over to the other side of the dock, it was dead calm, no one else around, thought, i don’t need to tie it up, it’s dead calm out, it’s not going anywhere. Pulled the truck out… it went somewhere, took an early morning swim to retrieve my boat that had floated 20ft from the dock. Lesson learned.

Adam Steffes

Forgot the plug in a wisconsin lake in early march. I launched, tied up the boat and took probably ten minutes to find the hidden parking spot two blocks deep in a small town, then hiked back to the boat. Jumped in and got about a mile from the launch when it started feeling a bit heavy. I then realized what I did, flipped on the bilge and motored for the dock…only to find out the motor had a failing temp sensor and thought it was overheating at 140F. I then proceeded to limp back at 15mph and found some kids out wakeboarding with dad’s boat. One of them was wearing a wet suit because water temps were in the low 40’s. He was kind enough to put the plug in for me and save me the 10 minute hike to get the truck to be able to get the boat out of the water and get the plug in. Boat has the plastic plug on a tether that just barely comes out of the hole so it wasn’t leaking much – the pressure basically pushed it part way into the hole.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Almost had one for the highlight reel this summer. I took my 6 year old daughter up to Mille Lacs for the day. Got everything unhooked and the plan was to float the boat off trailer and she would hold it at the dock. Slow day midweek so I could park close and see her the whole time. Boat came off the trailer with some speed and I look in my mirror to see her playing tug of war with a boat that is trying to yank her off the end of the dock. I jumped out to help but she stopped it with about 1’ of dock and 1’ of rope left.

Catch a bunch of fish and have a great day, but within minutes of getting home she say “Mom, guess what happened when Dad backed the boat in?”

mrpike1973

Before I start my wife is awesome at helping load/unload the boat she does not back the trailer however and we do not power load any of our boats to small and no power tilt and trim. Got to the dock windy new lake noticed a lot of rock scattered near the landing in the lake bed. well I go to get the trailer and as I’m backing up my wife is a drift in the boat she was tying it up when she slipped with the rope well all I can say is the look on her face was priceless!
    To far to swim out so I told her to trim the motor up lift it up thankfully it has power assist she got it up and I told here we would have to try to power load it. well Like a trooper she did it perfectly wind and all we got it on the trailer started home and we both busted out laughing. She said all she cared about was not hitting the rocks and same here but she was nervous of how fast to drive it in but she got it.

Walleyeguy34

One of the worst I’ve heard of happened out on tonka few years back. A guy was messing around with his winch on a steep grade at the launch. And pop goes the winch and the handle is spinning uncontrollably, said guy tries to stop it and gets tangled in it, seriously messing up his arm and face. Boat falls onto concrete and the guy was rushed to the hospital. Good reminder to keep your safety chains on until your boat is backed up in the water.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.