Boat landing blunders

• Matthew Sandys

Just sitting here thinking of warmer days and summer time fishing. What is your favorite thing to go wrong at the boat landing?
    Mine is waiting in line then when the guy/gal in front of you gets ready to go pulls up to the ramp. Then they get out uncover the boat and get everything out of the back of the truck. Had time before to do it but let’s wait till we are blocking the ramp.

michael keehr

My favorite is still the guy that unclips his 19 foot crestliner on a roller trailer has his two buddies get in boat and proceeds back to truck as he backs boat down he hits breaks boat keeps going right onto said ramp. That was a fun one on a busy opening night.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I love when ramp is busy and dad backs wake boat in, unhooks, and mom and kids hold it there at dock so no one else can load or unload while dad parks truck😤

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I love when ramp is busy and dad backs wake boat in, unhooks, and mom and kids hold it there at dock so no one else can load or unload while dad parks truck😤

100% not exclusive to wake boats.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I don’t mind the new or novice boaters. They just don’t know any better. But, there are a lot of guys like us with lots of experience that thumb their nose at common sense & courtesy also.

tim hurley

Go wrong? I think of me-no plug is a good one. Others? Had a whole group of tourny dudes blocking the launch at sunset at least 4 boats waiting while this guy is talking to his tourny bretheren, I said something and he moved his group, they I guess they did not even realize they were in everyones way.Mostly I think if I’m lucky enough to be out on a beautiful day that if I have to wait a bit that is not such a bad problem to have, and even though I am fairly speedy at launching and loading I have not always been and I should either shut up or offer to help.
    Oh another solution is to go very early or stay late you will catch bigger fish and have fewer mosquitos.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I think of me-no plug is a good one.

Been there once or twice. I’ve also forgot to put the truck in park.

IceHawk
    Richmond mn

Even though none of us would probably admit this smirk smirk we may all have been guilty of doing a few of these things at least once hopefully not twice. Mine is the guy unloading his truck and un tarping his boat rig on the ramp with no rush, as I’m waiting impatiently to launch. Have to admit I’ve done the plug thing myself boy does that make the cheeks pucker when the water starts flowing in instant bilge pump time LOL!

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Opening morning in line at the boat ramp south end of bowstring. I tell the wife and kids to be ready to help at the ramp. Wife was going to pull truck and trailer out and I would pull the boat up to shore out of the way. My wife and kids decided it was time to go to the porta potty as my turn to land came up. So I’m on my own ten trucks behind me . I get backed in run to the back to jump in the boat and slip on the fender my leg goes under the trailer I can feel the gash in my leg pouring blood down my leg filling my shoe. I get the boat up to shore and the truck pulled out . My family shows up and the wife says oh good are we ready to go.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I fish almost daily. So my stories of my own dumb ass would be endless.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve forgotten to unhook my transom straps from the back of the trailer more than once and couldn’t figure out why the boat wouldn’t float off the trailer. doah

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Couldn’t get the motor to turn over no matter what I tried, so I headed home all pissed off. Halfway home, it dawned on me, so I pulled over–sure enough, the shifter was knocked just far enough out of neutral that the safety switch was preventing it from cranking.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Over the years I’ve forgotten the plug, boat keys, and transom straps. Also left the lower unit down until contact was made more than once. My shift linkage came off while docking on Mille lacse once. I was in forward, bumped reverse to slow down, NOPE! more forward only much faster this time. Evasive maneuvers happened and I was able to trim up and beach the boat without damage.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Ever leave the transom saver on and wonder why the motor won’t trim down? I would never do something like that….

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Drove to launch and realized boat keys are still in the garage… Twice. Needless to say I keep spares in the truck now.

munchy
    NULL

Attachments:
    1. 145912851_3481946715265146_3583266659934175282_n.jpg

CBMN
    North Metro

I have seen some entertaining stuff but this one takes the cake for me. I was pushing dbrights boat off the trailer and heard the thud and instantly knew what it was. Think I got to see 4 boats hit the ramp that spring up on the Rainy River.

Attachments:
    1. B598F4A9-BED7-4FE8-AD18-97F885972F02.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I have seen some entertaining stuff but this one takes the cake for me. I was pushing dbrights boat off the trailer and heard the thud and instantly knew what it was. Think I got to see 4 boats hit the ramp that spring up on the Rainy River.

Do you pull it back onto the trailer or just keep pushing into the water?

Frozen bunks be slippery….

CBMN
    North Metro

That wasn’t my boat, it just happened right next to me as I unhooked and pushed Dustin of the trailer (jon boat in the photo) as I had just pulled away from the ramp with my truck and drove up to park but another guy took the photo. Apparently they had 6-8 guys try to move it with no luck so they just pushed it down the ramp with the trailer into the water. Drove around for a bit and the bilge pump ran non stop, put the boat back on the trailer and I’m guessing headed home with a totaled out boat.

IceHawk
    Richmond mn

Saw this myself a few times up on Rainy River in the spring: smile: Another spring classic up there is the guys with bunk trailers leave with soaking wet bunks and leave them sit in a parking lot and wouldn’t you know it there froze to the bunks next morning. Guys jumping on the rails doing whatever it takes to break them loose while a stack of boats are waiting to launch LOL!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

That wasn’t my boat, it just happened right next to me as I unhooked and pushed Dustin of the trailer (jon boat in the photo) as I had just pulled away from the ramp with my truck and drove up to park but another guy took the photo. Apparently they had 6-8 guys try to move it with no luck so they just pushed it down the ramp with the trailer into the water. Drove around for a bit and the bilge pump ran non stop, put the boat back on the trailer and I’m guessing headed home with a totaled out boat.

Didn’t think it was yours….just wondering what you do. I guess you end up with a hole in the boat!

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

Lake City HOK-SI-LA ramp September 2016: Truck trailer boat and all. I was coming back from a day on the water and my BIL says wtf is going on at the ramp. Poor guy.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20160911_151706076.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have done the forget the plug—twice. Also forgot to take transom straps off once.
    Has anyone else forgot to take off the steering lock clips?
    My fishing partner backs me in, boat floats off, put it in reverse, man this thing steers hard today. Duh?? doah

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We were in the water when that one hit. I was there as well

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Saw the exact same thing a couple time, once was driving over the 694 bridge and saw a truck, boat and trailer floating in the Mississippi South of the East river road access.

CBMN
    North Metro

Didn’t think it was yours….just wondering what you do. I guess you end up with a hole in the boat!
    [/quote]

Apparently you get to have a really happy boat sales guy because he gets to sell you 2 $70k+ boats but you might need a new insurance guy also as I’m guessing his insurance rep wasn’t really happy about that one.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Seen a brand new Crestliner with 300hp sitting on a landing on the Detroit River a couple years back. Was going to be the maiden voyage. Don’t know how they got it in the water or back on the trailer. We went fishing.

iowa_josh

Left the fish finder at home. Multiple times.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you drop it on the ramp you can just back the trailer into it and push it in the water until it floats and then load it………..or so I’ve been told. whistling

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.