Boat Covers/Materials?

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

It’s been a long, long time since I’ve been in the market for a boat cover. Is top gun material still the best or one of the best materials to use? The boat will sit outside 365 days a year and I only need protection from the elements, as traveling with the cover is not needed. Any recommendations for places that will do this work? Yes, I’ve read past posts, but they’re several years old.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Where are you located?

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Just south of Hastings.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

A bit of a drive, but Kyle’s Canvas & Upholstery in Wabasha MN is good. He’s done a cover for me and will be starting on a new tritoon cover for me soon as well.

There’s a pretty substantial waiting list though. If a place can make you a cover and fit you in almost immediately, that’d be a pretty big red flag.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Do I want a snap-on cover or straps? 16.7 foot tiller.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a strap cover and I won’t be going this route again. I will be having a snap cover made. The straps cause a weak point and once mine got some weight on it or heavy winds my straps and the area they connected started to tear. The snap covers keep them tighter. I also leave my boat outside 365 days a year

Dave maze
    Isanti

Wyoming canvas made one for my jon boat about 10 years ago. Still holding up great. 24/7/365 outside. Hopefully they still use the same material because my crestliner is due for a good snap on cover.

10klakes

I have a similar sized boat. canvas craft snap cover. I like it and covers my trolling motor perfect, but it’s 13 years old. Need to try and water proof it again, once we finally got rain it leaked bad last fall.

If re-waterproofing doesn’t work I’ll have to start looking at options. I was wondering how a custom strap cover would be. But with the snaps already installed, I’ll probably go canvas craft or top gun?

I’ve seen pics of tarps inc in Savage doing good work, especially when it comes to modifying bass boat covers to fit giant screens, ultrex’s with 360 and livescope ducers etc.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

As others have alluded to, don’t skimp on fabric and if it is left outside year round know that it’s going to not last as long as you think it should.

The sun is the biggest killer of boat covers. My now ~8 year old fishing boat cover looks brand new and should last another 10+ years, but the cover has never seen the sun as it’s in a heated garage year round. The tritoon cover is on a 5 year old tritoon and is basically shot, despite being the same material. It is in a slip from late April – late September with no shade except when I pull it for other trips.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I would vote for Canvas Craft. They are pricy though. I went with snaps it holds to the boat way better. Mine has lasted a long time but it will be time soon to replace it. I use mine for travel and summer storage then have the boat wrapped for the winter to keep the tarp in better shape. The snaps will fail from time to time. I just got back from running over there to have 3 snaps replaced at no cost, they do it while you wait.

mojo

I wholeheartedly recommend Jim Keuhl at Keuhl’s Canvas just east of the TA Truck Stop on exit 4 in Hudson WI. Extremely knowledgeable and very fair, been making custom boat covers for over 40 years.

http://www.kuehlscanvas.com/6101.html

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wyoming canvas made one for my jon boat about 10 years ago. Still holding up great. 24/7/365 outside. Hopefully they still use the same material because my crestliner is due for a good snap on cover.

I’m giving them my boat for a cover to be made here soon. Wyoming canvas does great work

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Custom Canvas Plus in Rochester has made some nice boat covers and patio awnings for me.

Someone suggested Wyoming Canvas and they did a great job on a cover for daughter and son-in-laws pontoon.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Just paid $900 for a snap cover that goes over my trolling motor also on my 1775 Lund. Guy in Elk River parents used to own Elk River canvas now he does it out of his house. 2nd one he has done for me. Went with the 11oz Top Gun fabric.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.