Boat battery voltage fluctuation

• Aaron Kalberer

I have a deep cycle in the back of my boat that is used for all my 12v accessories. I have noticed while driving, seems like on take off mainly and in rougher water, the batteries voltage fluctuates from 12.1v – 9.8v. I am getting my voltage reading from my depth finder (lowrance hook 2). The battery is not connected to the motor or trolling motor, and has 2 leads running to a fuse panel under the console. The voltage seems to get low enough where my graphs screen will flicker on occasion while driving. Voltage returns to near constant once stopped.

Just looking for ideas as to what would cause this. Was thinking low water levels in the battery possibly? Pottentially a bad wire somewhere?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

A bad ground is a common culprit. Does it also have an inline fuse or just the fuse block? Check all connections and fuses.

Aaron Kalberer

The depth finder has a inline fuse, I will check my ground connections and go from there. Thanks!

DTW

Make sure your connection to your post of your battery is tight. Not corroded

DTW

Make sure your connection to your post of your battery is tight. Not corroded. The gaps between all those little connections to the battery need to be scrubbed clean. Top and bottom. The higher amp components don’t care about a little oxidation but graphs and small electronics do

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.